Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catch can install. A useful tip for hook up...

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Catch can install. A useful tip for hook up...

Hey everyone.

I know there's a ton of threads on catch cans. But I thought Ide post a couple pics of mine due to how I hooked it up. There is some friction around here pertaining to this particular manufacturer, so no talk of that, or arguing which can is better etc etc. Im sure you can figure out what can it is..

Anyway...I had a breather, but I was misting oil and vapors like crazy. The car was miserable to be in due to the fumes. So I had to go to a can. I realize I probably have a ring issue...but Im running this til she pops.

So far, this can has worked great. a TINY bit of oil in the intake, which I expected with how much oil was coming from the breather. But the can is doing its job. Not filling up nearly as fast I thought it would.

I was surprised when I got the can though. The built in PCV valve was pointing straight up, not out from the side like I expected. NO idea why they made it like this, because how are you supposed to hook a hose to it? WIth a big loop? That hits the hood. They could have put a PCV valve with a 90* fitting built in...they do exist. OR..maybe supplied a 90* fitting with it. I inquired with them about this...sent an email with my impressions but havent heard back. Maybe its a design change...or just a temporary run...who knows.

So, I found an "emission" hose at Autozone's HELP! section that worked PERFECTLY. I mean 100% perfect in length and size and all.

By the way Im using an LS6 vally cover. Here are the pics...

The other area of contention with this thing..was how to drain it. The drain is right over the A/C compressor and heater hoses. I wasnt about to entertain the idea of removing the can to dump it every week or whatever. SO I cobbled together a drain, that so far has worked ok for me. But Im going to redo it when I have more time. Its just put together with crap I had laying around. I wish it was pointed down some so gravity could work better, but I just take the hose off the valley cover and blow into it. Pushes the little bit of oil out just fine.

Its got a piece of 3/8" hose with a 90* bend in it. So I just put a cup under the hose and drain. Simple, clean, and effective.

My last thought about this set up...is lock washers. I feel a couple split ring lock washers could have been tossed in. I used one between the bolt and bracket, and one between the bracket and head. Before, it was pretty easy to loosen the bolt by moving the can. Now its super secure without really cranking down on the bolt.

Thats it...nothing new or spectacular. Just some thoughts on it and hopefully someone can use the HELP part number if their can is the same. I got it in bare alum because Im not sure what theme Im going for in my engine bay. Ill paint it later.

J.

Last edited by ghettocruiser; 04-17-2010 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's really clean looking. I love the drain idea. I've been cramming a rag under mine to catch the oily fuel stuff that leaks out
Old 04-17-2010, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I added a catch can last Fall and have only driven my car a couple of times since then, but I was kinda wondering how I was gonna drain it when it comes time.

A small manual valve connected to the bottom is a great idea, rather than having to remove it each time.

Question: How often should a catch can be checked/drained?

I'm sure it varies with each vehicle/motor, but on average would checking it at each oil change be sufficient? Or do should I check this sucker each time I plan to get my car out?
Old 04-17-2010, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I empty mine when I change the oil. In the cooler weather it tends to fill up with thicker foamy crud that doesn't come out the drain very well. The bottom of my can is threaded so I disassemble it to get that stuff out. I guess some compressed air might work good too.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:22 AM
10 Second Club

I see that you have the passenger side valve cover hose running to the throttle body still. That will still allow oil to get into the intake.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thats the fresh air hose. I was told, and found through research, that you should leave this hose on there. On more extreme set ups, you run a dual catch can, and put the second can on that line.

Since doing this, Ive had zero oil go through that hose. Ive been swapping it with q-tips haha. Im ****. Also of note, I have a brand new oil cap, and its completely clean on the under side. No crud, no oil...nothing. The breather was spewing out oil.

I also noticed that my oil got black VERY fast. Its been a few weeks now, and the oil looks brand new. Still losing it...but like I said, I have a pretty obviously ring issue. Could be valve seals...but Im betting rings. Still have to get around to doing another leakdown test to see how much worse it got since my dyno sessions.

The drain works pretty good. Its just 1/4" NPt stuff. Like I said, I just wish it came down at more of an angle. I wanted to use 45* fittings, but had none, and just wanted to use what I had laying around.

I tend to take the hose off the valley cover and blow into it as I stated above. Last couple times I did that, I got air coming out of my drain. Didnt sound like it was gurgling through liquid...just came right out. Got a little oil from the hose. I realize that its going to coat my drain fittings and my hose...

But little oil in the intake tells me its doing something...maybe just having a proper PCV valve back on the motor was enough to calm things down? haha

J.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I got the same catch-can and the only thing that kinda pissed me off was how the PCV valve was connected to it on the top like that...
Old 04-18-2010, 01:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run my can hooked to the LS6 valley cover too. No problem emptying, I just put a shot glass on the hoses underneath and remove the drain plug. (I can reach it) I also still have the fresh air hose on, no oil gets in the intake.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

I was just searching for catchcans, and found this thread that was at the top of the page.. ironic haha! But my car uses about 1 1/2 quarts of oil every 2000miles about, I replaced the ls1 intake with a ls6 intake this weekend, and my ls1 intake was fulled with oil infact when i tipped it on its side, oil dripped out of it.. I know this isnt normal, but I am running a hipo oil pump, and its a faily full bolt on motor with heads and cam.. I do not have a catch can but im thinking bout one now, if it will help!

I get smoke at wot and my exhaust tip is black as if its running rich.

will a catch can fix this or help a lot? and if so what one do I get, I find it weird that different cans are better than others but whatever.. if they truely are better than others whats the best one?
Old 04-18-2010, 04:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

INMY01TA: your PCV valve is coming from the LS6 valley cover and its oriented in what direccion? I am wondering bc I have been thinking if my setup is incorrect.
I have the two valve covers brodged from the back.
the catch can is the same as yours with the valley coming to the top and the side connecting to the intake, but I have a filter-breather in the OIL Hole in the valve cover....
I am wondering if I would be ok if I do remove the breather and route it your way.

thanks
Old 04-18-2010, 05:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

quick question. is an ls6 pcv and valley cover really necessary? out of all the reading ive done ive heard that it only helps slightly in the consumption of oil and that the catch can is what does the majority of the work. i ask this because i am about to do a head/intake swap and i'm on a really tight budget. i know i need a catch can for sure but can i do with out the ls6 valley and pcv?

p.s. all the controversy surrounding this topic is enough to make my head spin.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
Hey everyone.

I know there's a ton of threads on catch cans. But I thought Ide post a couple pics of mine due to how I hooked it up. There is some friction around here pertaining to this particular manufacturer, so no talk of that, or arguing which can is better etc etc. Im sure you can figure out what can it is..

Anyway...I had a breather, but I was misting oil and vapors like crazy. The car was miserable to be in due to the fumes. So I had to go to a can. I realize I probably have a ring issue...but Im running this til she pops.

So far, this can has worked great. a TINY bit of oil in the intake, which I expected with how much oil was coming from the breather. But the can is doing its job. Not filling up nearly as fast I thought it would.

I was surprised when I got the can though. The built in PCV valve was pointing straight up, not out from the side like I expected. NO idea why they made it like this, because how are you supposed to hook a hose to it? WIth a big loop? That hits the hood. They could have put a PCV valve with a 90* fitting built in...they do exist. OR..maybe supplied a 90* fitting with it. I inquired with them about this...sent an email with my impressions but havent heard back. Maybe its a design change...or just a temporary run...who knows.

So, I found an "emission" hose at Autozone's HELP! section that worked PERFECTLY. I mean 100% perfect in length and size and all.

By the way Im using an LS6 vally cover. Here are the pics...

The other area of contention with this thing..was how to drain it. The drain is right over the A/C compressor and heater hoses. I wasnt about to entertain the idea of removing the can to dump it every week or whatever. SO I cobbled together a drain, that so far has worked ok for me. But Im going to redo it when I have more time. Its just put together with crap I had laying around. I wish it was pointed down some so gravity could work better, but I just take the hose off the valley cover and blow into it. Pushes the little bit of oil out just fine.

Its got a piece of 3/8" hose with a 90* bend in it. So I just put a cup under the hose and drain. Simple, clean, and effective.

My last thought about this set up...is lock washers. I feel a couple split ring lock washers could have been tossed in. I used one between the bolt and bracket, and one between the bracket and head. Before, it was pretty easy to loosen the bolt by moving the can. Now its super secure without really cranking down on the bolt.

Thats it...nothing new or spectacular. Just some thoughts on it and hopefully someone can use the HELP part number if their can is the same. I got it in bare alum because Im not sure what theme Im going for in my engine bay. Ill paint it later.

J.
Awesome man! So I'm buying that hose as I have the same catch can and everything, too.

However, it looks REALLY tight. There doesn't seem to be any slack at all and looks like the emissions hose wants to pop off, haha!

Is it that tight or do the pics make it look so?
Old 05-09-2010, 11:43 PM
Staging Lane

nice clean looking look
Old 05-10-2010, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

CranMaro99: The hose length is perfect. The elbow is snug and isnt going anywhere. The plastic tube in the middle is glued or sealed into the rubber ends. The intake manifold end is on as far as it would go. The nipple on the intake is hitting the plastic tube inside of the rubber boot.

When I installed my bracket, I did this. Head, split washer, bracket, split washer, bolt. It is VERY stable, and the hose shows no sign of pulling off or coming apart or anything like that.

Your application may vary, but Im happy with the hose. Not happy about needing it. Would have rather just used regular hose but that vertical valve put the botch on that.

Hope that helps.

J.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:14 AM
Launching!

I've got the same can here. I bought mine about a month after CranMaro and while I was waiting to get it (bought it on the group purchase so I had to wait 2 months) I saw this thread and went and got the #46001 hose. When I got my can I was pleasantly surprised to see that they've started putting an elbow on the top of the can much like the #46001 hose, but shorter, you have to use some of the hose they provide in the box to connect it to the intake, but there's exactly enough to work. I'll try and get some pics up. Install went well except for dropping this wonderful plastic elbow down into the engine bay and having to jack the car up and fish around for it.

Quick Reply: Catch can install. A useful tip for hook up...