Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans/Axle Alignment

Old 04-18-2010, 10:58 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trans/Axle Alignment

Just got my axle installed and it is sitting offset to the transmission. An angle is necessary for the driveshaft but I thought the only angle you wnted was up and down not left and right. If I do move my trans mount im going to make a ratio of the distances in the back and the make it the same for the trans. Is this correct? Thanks for the help, here is apic:
Old 04-18-2010, 12:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts

As long as the engine is straight and the axle is too, you shouldn't have a problem, the u-joints will compensate for it just like they do for the up and down movement. I don't think I would move just the trans mount because then the engine will be at an angle. You would have to move the motor mounts the same amount to keep it straight, you want the angles of the output shaft of the trans and the pinion of the axle to be equal but opposite just like when you set it up your pinion angle for the up and down motion.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:41 PM
On The Tree

Actually a slight offset is required, if everything was perfectly straight in the setup you wear out the universals. You should be fine.

Mark
Old 04-18-2010, 09:01 PM
Staging Lane

Ya the engine mounts are spaced out evenly from the edge so the engine sits in the middle and any change will just push that end of the tranny to an angle. thanks for the advice ill just keep it as is.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trans/Axle Alignment