Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Delrin Roto-Joint or Del-sphere LCAs ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Delrin Roto-Joint or Del-sphere LCAs ?

Hi All,

Been looking into a new set of rear LCAs.

For those of you that have either the Spohn Del-Sphere or UMI Roto-Joint delrin bushing equipped lower control arms at both ends...

I have a some questions.

1.) How are they holding up so far ?

2.) How is the road noise level ?

3.) Any noticable difference in handling or ride quality ?

4.) Any regrets ?

Old 04-19-2010, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone ?

Old 08-13-2010, 06:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Location: Fairfax County, VA (You know you're here when you see the bad roads)

tttttt
Old 08-13-2010, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have UMI Panhard bar and lower control arms, roto-jointed on both sides. They are noisy if you torque them to stock specs. The instructions say to torque them to 100ft-lb if they make noise, I did and mine have been quiet after that. They do sometimes "shock" the car if you go over a sharp bump, but only about the same level as poly bushings, nowhere near rod-ends. They are a vast improvement over stock, and I can't hear them binding like my old poly/rod ones did. I can't really specify total improvement as I did shocks and sways at the same time. Hope that helps. I highly recommend them if you're looking for an upgrade.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

i have the spohn LCAs.......luv em......had rod end LCAs on my old IROC.....so dammm noisey i took em off.......the del spheres are a good compromise between noise and durability.......and the fact that they are rebuildable was what really sold me
Old 08-13-2010, 09:00 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't expect either design to be quiet - at least in lower control arms. I've had both designs - I personally prefer the del-sphere, but both work well.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have UMI roto/poly LCA's. I'm very happy with them. No clunking and they are very quite.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Arc00TA
I have UMI Panhard bar and lower control arms, roto-jointed on both sides. They are noisy if you torque them to stock specs. The instructions say to torque them to 100ft-lb if they make noise, I did and mine have been quiet after that. They do sometimes "shock" the car if you go over a sharp bump, but only about the same level as poly bushings, nowhere near rod-ends.
I've had mine on for a few weeks now. I know what your talking about when you mention "Shock" when you go over sharp bumps. Mine does it too. Couldn't figure out what it was I know everything has good clearance. It is loud when you hear this.

I am having an issue with my LCAs rotating and causing the outer diameter of the roto-joint to come in contact with the attach bracket / uni-body. This sounds like something is loose. If I slow down and perform a 90 degree turn it usually will relieve the contact point. BTW.....my roto-joint rod ends are aligned equally, not sure why they are cocking to one side?

Last edited by 96onele; 08-14-2010 at 08:07 AM.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

There is someone selling a set of chromolly double ended Spohn Del-Spheres for $200 shipped in the classifieds.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i've got the umi roto-jointed LCAs roto/roto. it has been a few thousand miles (and an autox) and they aren't noisy to me. i do hear them a little sometimes when taking off if i listen for them, but they seem to be holding up great.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just replaced my rod-ends with UMI roto-joints a few thousand miles ago, and they're leaps & bounds quieter than the rod-ends were....the only bad thing that i've seen so far is that they did loosen up a little, so they started getting loud, but fortunately, i bought the roto-joint wrench that UMI sells to tighten them up, and they're quiet again. they're probably a tad louder than stock, but well worth the little extra noise for the amount of handling improvement, IMO.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:04 PM
Staging Lane

I am happy with the noise level of my Roto/poly control arms, but both Roto-joints came loose shortly after install. I took them off, cleaned the grease off and applied blue loctite to the threads of the Roto-joint adjuster. Re-assembled and have not had an issue several thousand miles later.

This was what UMI told me to do when I called them. I would recommend applying the Loctite before install if you end up with the UMI parts...
Old 06-03-2017, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BobDoLe
i've got the umi roto-jointed LCAs roto/roto. it has been a few thousand miles (and an autox) and they aren't noisy to me. i do hear them a little sometimes when taking off if i listen for them, but they seem to be holding up great.
sorry to revive 7 year old thread, but i was searching for roto joints for front lower control arms and found this.

at the time i posted this, i had the first version of the umi roto joint that didn't have the locking set screw. so i replaced them in 2011 after one of the joints came apart.

since then, they've been holding up great. great articulation, no noise.

in the past i had tried poly ends, rod ends and a combination of the two. for a while there i was regularly dealing with either noise or binding.
but since the umi roto joints.... i just forgot all about them.

now i'm about to replace my front lower control arms and i'll be going for roto-joints there too

Last edited by BobDoLe; 06-03-2017 at 12:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Delrin Roto-Joint or Del-sphere LCAs ?