Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine wont fire please help

Old 04-18-2010, 09:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine wont fire please help

I've got a 4.8l engine in my project truck. I just finished wiring it back up Friday and it fired right up. I started it for about 30 seconds maybe 4 times on Saturday. It now will not start. It will crank and every now and then a partial fire but will not run. I added some new fuel to my fuel cell because what was in there was kind of old (last sept). This has been a cab off build and i just put the cab on the other day. Its got me confused because it was running and now will not. Its show fuel pressure on the gauge (around 60) and i can hear the external pump working.

Last year i but a cam, headers, ls1 intake manifold, blackbear tune, exhaust, slp valve springs etc and had it running. Then tore it apart and now trying to get it back together. Please help if you have any ideas / suggestions!
Old 04-18-2010, 11:49 PM
On The Tree

Well start with the simple stuff. Your getting fuel. Check for consistent spark, the injectors might be clogged up due to that old fuel. All your sensors are plugged in and everything still has power and is grounded properly right?
Old 04-19-2010, 11:17 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Palomba
Well start with the simple stuff. Your getting fuel. Check for consistent spark, the injectors might be clogged up due to that old fuel. All your sensors are plugged in and everything still has power and is grounded properly right?
I'm pretty sure i have everything hooked up. I'll have to double check again tonight. I did check the 2 main grounds from the engine and both are hooked up.

What has me so confused it was actually running on saturday morning but now it wont.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:29 PM
On The Tree

Well how long did you run it? Did it run like there was nothing wrong? Anything could have happened honestly. I mean how many times do you drive home from work, then the next morning the car wont do crap.

Check for spark as well. Could be the coil paks
Old 04-19-2010, 07:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Palomba
Well how long did you run it? Did it run like there was nothing wrong? Anything could have happened honestly. I mean how many times do you drive home from work, then the next morning the car wont do crap.

Check for spark as well. Could be the coil paks
about a minute for a total of 4 times. It sounded great then i came out to start it for a friend and it wouldnt fire. It acts like it wants too but wont run.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:00 PM
TECH Regular

+1 on cleaning the injectors.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:13 PM
Staging Lane

Well i checked and its getting spark. I've checked my wires and grounds and all appear to be connected. Also i saw the MAP sensor was broke but i had another so i swapped it out but still nothing.

Last edited by jcfreeman0; 04-19-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:49 AM
Staging Lane

I pulled a plug this morning and noticed its a little bit wet and has some black crud build up on it. I'm gonna pull all the plugs and clean them off this evening. Hopefully this helps!
Old 04-20-2010, 09:01 AM
Staging Lane

Also i noticed the MAP sensor was broke yesterday. I had another one laying around and put it in.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

its fouled plugs. i did the same things years ago on my first ls swap. i kept starting it but i would only let it run for like 30 seconds cuz i didnt have the cooling system hoooked up. went to start it and it wouldnt start. my wife kept saying check the plugs but i kept telling her to be quiet and leave me to do the mans work!!! after lots of hours of fussing, changed the plugs, fired right up.

see the ls's run real rich for the first couple of minutes till they warm up, and since i learned that i never let my cars or bike run for only 30 seconds. if i move my bike form outside to in the garage i let it warm up then move it.

change the plugs, she'll fire right up.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:32 PM
Staging Lane

I pulled all the plugs out tonight and cleaned them up a little bit and put them all back in and it "almost" starts. It fires about every other try but wont actually start. I ordered some new NGK's today (wont be in until tomorrow) so hopefully the new plugs will solve my problem.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:13 PM
Staging Lane

SHES ALIVE!!! I put the new NGK's in and it started up on the first fire! Thanks for all the help guys!!!
Old 04-22-2010, 10:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just let it run for at least a few minutes from now on and you should be fine.

Search this Thread