Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Gear pattern help, please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 07:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Gear pattern help, please!

Could someone take a look at this pattern and tell me how far off I am and what I need to do to get it right. These are motive 3.23 gears. Also I am not sure on the backlash. I have the dial indicator but not sure if I am reading it correctly. When you are measuring backlash that is measured by how much the ring gear moves without the pinion moving? Or is that not right? Thanks.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-20-2010, 10:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LeftySS
When you are measuring backlash that is measured by how much the ring gear moves without the pinion moving? Or is that not right? Thanks.

correct. But you need to measure the pinion depth before you can measure the backlash.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And from the pics, your pinion depth is way off. Pull that carrier back out, and concentrate on the pinion for now. The contact should be in the middle of the tooth, not out at the end.
No one can eyeball how far off you are. You'll need the depth setting tools....Summit has 'em.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:49 AM
11 Second Club

Well I reused the shim that was on the old pinion and installed the carrier with just the spacers. That is the way the old ring & pinion was installed, so thought I would start there to just see how everything went back together and get a better feel for things. I know there is a pinion depth tool but have read that isn't real accurate. Isn't the pattern suppose to help get the right pinion depth? So the amount of backlash won't change the patten? Thanks.

Last edited by LeftySS; 04-20-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:55 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
And from the pics, your pinion depth is way off. Pull that carrier back out, and concentrate on the pinion for now. The contact should be in the middle of the tooth, not out at the end.
No one can eyeball how far off you are. You'll need the depth setting tools....Summit has 'em.
I know no one can tell me how far off I am exactly. Was just looking for a general direction to go and if it was way off. So the tool is a must have or can the pattern get me there?
Thanks
Old 04-20-2010, 12:01 PM
TECH Addict

The pattern MAY get you there, it's hard to know for sure. It looks like you have too much shim under the pinion. A good place to start is with the same thickness the factory used.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:08 PM
11 Second Club

Smile

The pattern MAY get you there, it's hard to know for sure. It looks like you have too much shim under the pinion. A good place to start is with the same thickness the factory used.
I just wish I knew what the factory used. The gears coming out are aftermarket gears and not sure what shim the factory used on the original gears. I am new to this, and correct me if I am wrong, but if the pattern is too much towards the heel wouldn't I need more shims to move it towards the middle of the tooth more?
Old 04-20-2010, 02:19 PM
TECH Addict

I just wish I knew what the factory used. The gears coming out are aftermarket gears and not sure what shim the factory used on the original gears. I am new to this, and correct me if I am wrong, but if the pattern is too much towards the heel wouldn't I need more shims to move it towards the middle of the tooth more?
Sorry, you're right. Didn't have the picture straight in my head.
Do you still have the original gears? If so, take the pinion to the press and get that bearing off so you can measure the shim.

Last edited by fleetmgr; 04-20-2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:21 PM
11 Second Club

Sorry, you're right. Didn't have the picture straight in my head.
Do you still have the original gears? If so, take the pinion to the press and get that bearing off so you can measure the shim.
Boy glad you changed cause I was really getting confused. Ha ha. So can I sum it up this way or is there more to it. Pinion depth changes the pattern from toe to heel and the backlash will change the pattern from top of the tooth to the bottom?
I don't have the factory gears but I did use the shim that came off the aftermarket pinion as a starting point. I will be adding more shims and checking again. will post more pictures with measurements as well.

Thanks
Old 04-26-2010, 07:47 PM
11 Second Club

Ok is this pattern looking any better? Backlash is about .008. It looks like the pattern is pretty well centered on the tooth but thought it might be too low? Would that be affected by backlash?

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by LeftySS; 04-27-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:03 PM
11 Second Club

Is this pattern ^^^ too low on the tooth? If so would I need more back lash to get the pattern to slide up on the tooth? It looks like it is pretty well centered just too low.
Thoughts?
Old 04-27-2010, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

That's looking pretty good right where it is. If you have .008 backlash then you aren't going to change anything by going to .010.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:34 PM
11 Second Club

Wow, great! So you think button it up right where it is then? I didn't think I would change much by going to .010 either but wanted to ask. Since I am not using new carrier bearings then I don't need to add the extra shim to the carrier for preload, right?
Old 04-27-2010, 12:42 PM
TECH Addict

Run with it. No preload on the carrier with used bearings. You do need a new crush sleeve for the pinion, though. Make sure you adjust that with the appropriate preload as well, which is different for new or used bearings.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:19 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks Fleet. I plan on running a solid spacer just waiting on it to get here.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:52 AM
FormerVendor

Depth is too deep on both setups. It actually got worse on the 2nd pictures, my guess is you added shim to what was originally under the bearing. Go back to the stock shim and remove about .003" and make sure your backlash is set at around .008" to .010". As the 2nd pics show a wider pattern across the gear, wider does not mean it is right.

Jeff
Old 05-05-2010, 12:03 PM
11 Second Club

Just so I understand. If I go back and remove shim from the stock shim won't that move the pattern more towards the heel? Don't you want the pattern to be in the middle of the tooth?
Old 05-05-2010, 12:09 PM
FormerVendor

Just so I understand. If I go back and remove shim from the stock shim won't that move the pattern more towards the heel? Don't you want the pattern to be in the middle of the tooth?
Heel to Toe does not make a difference. You want the pattern to be centered fro the face of the gear to the root of the gear. That is all that matters for the pattern.

Jeff
Old 05-05-2010, 12:23 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jawsgear
Heel to Toe does not make a difference. You want the pattern to be centered fro the face of the gear to the root of the gear. That is all that matters for the pattern.

Jeff
Ok, I guess I am not understanding how this works. Ha ha. First question, Does backlash change the pattern at all? If it does, doesn't it change the pattern from root to face? Doesn't pinion depth change the pattern from heel to toe?
Old 05-05-2010, 12:27 PM
FormerVendor

Ok, I guess I am not understanding how this works. Ha ha. First question, Does backlash change the pattern at all? If it does, doesn't it change the pattern from root to face? Doesn't pinion depth change the pattern from heel to toe?
Backlash does not change the pinion depth, it is the amount of play between the ring and pinion gear. It can make a difference in the width of the pattern across the gear from heel to toe.

Have you checked out our downloadable Installation Instructions? You might check them out here ........

http://www.jawsgear.com/Positraction.../tech_kits.php