Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Recommend to me a good Powder Coating Starters Kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 11:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Recommend to me a good Powder Coating Starters Kit

I want to try my hand at PCing a few pieces for myself but need a kit to get started with. I have a oven but thats it...somebody please point me in the right way. I would like to some thing like wheels, pulleys, jack stands on so on.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.eastwood.com/hotcoat-powd...-coat-kit.html

http://www.eastwood.com/hcp-small-be...2-x-4-x-4.html
Old 04-20-2010, 01:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

that first kit is pretty cheap really
Old 04-20-2010, 01:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Summit and harbor freight have some nice little kits. What kind of oven are you going to use?
Old 04-21-2010, 09:52 PM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started to reply but got distracted by the ***** in hlaalu's sig. Let me think here.

Not to be captain obvious but I assume you got an old household oven from somewhere to use for only coating, right? You'd be AMAZED how many dingdongs actually assume they can use the one in their house without killing themselves after they poison their next meal they cook in the thing.

Eastwood just came out with a new hobby gun with dual voltage.

You'll need a way to correctly prep the parts. A wire wheel or sand paper is NOT the correct way to do it, you will end up with all sorts of imperfections due to lack of proper cleaning. You'll need a blast cabinet and a compressor capable of running the cabinet, along with associated items such as in line air filtration both for the cabinet and gun..moisture is your enemy in coating.

You will also need to build some kind of booth with fans and filters and lighting. Shooting powder in an open environment will be fun for about 14 seconds. Powder has the consistency of household dust so it floats very far and thanks to its positive charge as it leaves the gun, sticks to everything little thing within 30 feet.

Using too small of an oven for any given part will cause you problems. People forget about infared/radiant heat. Stuffing a wheel in a household oven will over cure it as it will get hotter than the ambient temp you set the oven at. You will need a good IR gun if you intend to use a small oven, and I would recommend building heat shields around the elements as well. I personally wouldn't coat anything bigger than a small bracket or pulley in an unshielded household size oven.

I could go on forever but there's a few very very basic thoughts for you on the subject.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

SG what do you normally charge to do a set of 17 WS6 wheels? No curbrash repair...just prep and coat? What about for a alternator brace and LT1 accessory bracket? Thats really all I have to coat...it maybe easier to just pay to have it done.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:32 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pay Sean SG he is well worth it. He does awsome work
Old 04-23-2010, 08:24 PM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shoot me a PM and I'd be happy to help

Quick Reply: Recommend to me a good Powder Coating Starters Kit