Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo 5.3 s10 build...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 12:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Turbo 5.3 s10 build...

So i've been working on my 95 s10 for the past few months and it has went through many different setup plans, started out a stock 5.3 swap, to a cammed 5.3 swap, to a nitrious 5.3, to a cammed and nitrious 5.3 and now finally to a turbo 5.3...

Truck is near completion right now... setup will be as follows-
Engine-
stock bottom end 5.3 ~90k miles
stock heads, have never been off
zo6 cam
918 springs
98 ls1 intake/tb

Tranny-
Built th400
3800 stall (might go with lower rpm later, bought before the turbo plans)

Rear end-
Hoping to be putting an 8.8 from an explorer in within the next few weeks.
Will be putting in a full spool and gears somewhere around the 2.73 range

Fuel-
Sumped fuel cell
Bosch 044 pump
Earls pre/post filters
-8 feed, -6 return
FAST fuel rails
60lb injectors
Aeromotive FPR

Turbo setup-
Masterpower T70 .96ar
Turbosmart 38mm wastegate
Turbosmart 50mm BOV

Should be a fun truck, truck currently has a 6pt cage (need to finish one last bar) its cut up and a lightweight drag truck...

Pic of when i bought it after i threw on my prostars-

Motor all dropped in-

Painted an extra grill i had to make it look like the SS's-

Not very many good pics right now, so i will take more as stuff progesses over the next few weeks as parts start coming in and stuff starts getting finished...

My plan is to have it done in around 3-4 weeks, hoping everything goes well and i think i should be able to get it done...
Old 04-20-2010, 11:30 AM

Joe could u do something like this
http://img532.imageshack.us/i/dscf1481.jpg/
Old 04-20-2010, 08:08 PM
Banned

Do you already have your turbo kit fabbed? I have a customer with a 5.3 turbo s10 looking to sell his turbo kit and go twin turbo. His truck went 10.0 with a bone stock 5.3 stock cam and all.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:04 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Josh@PremierAutosports
Do you already have your turbo kit fabbed? I have a customer with a 5.3 turbo s10 looking to sell his turbo kit and go twin turbo. His truck went 10.0 with a bone stock 5.3 stock cam and all.

That's flying. How big of a turbo and how much psi?
Old 04-20-2010, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I already ordered all the mandrel bends to fab it all, just curious how much he is askin and what kinda setup it is?
Old 04-21-2010, 12:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Today i got some small stuff done...

Made up brackets for my fuel pump and my oil return pump. Fuel pump didnt come with one and didnt feel like buying the $30 one, and the oil pump the bracket only worked one way and i needed the flow to be opposite so i had to fab something up...

Also my injectors came in from PAS. Chris is an awesome guy and i've ordered my injectors, BOV, WG and Turbo all through them...

Also bought my battery, serpentine belt tensioner and a few misc things today. Also made up my altenator bracket today by using a stock truck bracket and cutting and modifying it to work for my setup. I'll get some pics of that up here in the next few days...
Old 04-21-2010, 01:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool setup! Slap a T76 on there and let her eat!!!!

Jay
Old 04-21-2010, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Going with a T70 as thats what the budget allows right now, trying to have this done within a month as i want something to race this season instead of just watching at the track all year.... That's no fun....lol
Old 04-21-2010, 01:09 PM
On The Tree

another T70 s10 LS1 brother!!!! Well, your kind of an LS1 lol.
You getting a CPW harness?! i hiiiiiighly recomend it. I dont know if i've seen you on the S10forum.com either~? There's alot of good info on LSx swaps there for these trucks
Old 04-21-2010, 01:13 PM

You know it's not so bad being a spectator. You get smashed and laugh at people breakin stuff.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TurboBandit
another T70 s10 LS1 brother!!!! Well, your kind of an LS1 lol.
You getting a CPW harness?! i hiiiiiighly recomend it. I dont know if i've seen you on the S10forum.com either~? There's alot of good info on LSx swaps there for these trucks
No CPW harness here, got a harness through YatesEFI.com He is a local to me and had helped me out a ton on the whole project.

I'm over on s10forum a bit but on here more, i more just lurk over there checking out how some people are doing things...
Old 04-21-2010, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got my intercooler in today...

Gonna mount it right on the front of the radiator support... Gonna have to cut the hood latch off and run hood pins unless i can figure something out with the latch but not against the hood pins...

Old 04-27-2010, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well im bored so i figured i could do an update on stuff here...

Over the past week i've gotten a decent ammount of work done but it doesnt seem to add up to much lol.

Picked up and explorer for the 8.8 and scrapped the rest of the truck. so the 8.8 is torn apart right now, gonna take my axles to get re-drilled for chevy pattern and get my 1/2'' studs installed. then going to try to find someone local to weld up my open carrier cause im running low on cash and cant afford a full spool and c-clip eliminators right now, so this will be a temporary fix. Picking up a set of 3.08s for it on friday so hopefully have it all back together and ready to measure for a drive shaft within two weeks.

Here is a pic after we cut it out of the explorer and before everything was removed...

I'm gonna be painting it all up and everything before i install it...

waiting to swap the 8.8 in...

Last week my Wastegate and BOV showed up on my steps...

Still waiting on the turbo to show up so i can mock everything up then order whatever couplers i'll need...

My box of mandrel bends that i need to build most of my hot and cold side piping showed up but i realized after they did show up i forgot 2 2 1/2'' 90*'s i needed so i still gotta order those up yet. Also there is my t4 flange and 3'' to t4 form in the pic...

Thats about all i got for now... I'll get some pics of my 98 f-body manifolds that are getting extensions and v-band flanges welded on right now once i get them back from the guy welding them, along with my valve cover that he is putting a bung in for my turbo oil return line...
Old 05-17-2010, 02:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Got a little work done lately-

Turbo mounted=

Still need to make more of a solid mount and weld my flex pipe into the hotside so i can solid mount the turbo. Also need a few more mandrel bends to finish up the charge pipe...

Also got the core support cut and clearanced for the intercooler and piping...

And here is how the truck sits, still need shocks all the way around...
Old 05-17-2010, 05:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

....why the bed?
Old 05-17-2010, 09:07 AM
TECH Regular

Are you planning on running an open bed or putting a cover on it? If you left it open, it would be an easy spot to package the intercooler as well and open up some space up front too. Cool build.

Originally Posted by ramdaspadhye
....why the bed?
Well lets see....
1. easier to package there
2. longer charge lines, cooler charge...
3. Less heat under the hood
4. Less **** under the hood
5. No need to move anything under the hood to accomodate it.
6. thats where he wanted to put it.

Im sure the list goes on.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dimetweaker
Are you planning on running an open bed or putting a cover on it? If you left it open, it would be an easy spot to package the intercooler as well and open up some space up front too. Cool build.

Well lets see....
1. easier to package there
2. longer charge lines, cooler charge...
3. Less heat under the hood
4. Less **** under the hood
5. No need to move anything under the hood to accomodate it.
6. thats where he wanted to put it.

Im sure the list goes on.
I'm gonna be putting a locking cover on it since i'll have around $1500+ worth of parts in the bed lol. Im planning on cutting out some of the bottom of the bed to get some good airflow to the turbo though.

And to add to the list of why i put it in the bed... lol
7. to put in up front i would need custom turbo headers or a new brake booster setup as there are no manifold that work facing forward.
8. its something differen't as there is around 8+ LSx s10's running around my area (no joke lol) and one is a front mounted turbo so i wanted to be a little different from him.
9. It was just easier since i already had my 98 ls1 fbody manfolds modified.

Tomorrow or wednesday i'm going to be cutting into my cab by the passenger feet area for my charge pipe since its either that or take a 3in pipe and wrap it under the frame and have maybe 1-2" of ground clearance and i'm not too keen on that...

Got a ton of little stuff to finish up so i'm just doing small job by small job as i have time during the week then trying to knock out the major stuff on the weekends.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

You could have put the trbo under the bed easier then in it, other than that it looks like a good/fun project
Old 05-17-2010, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by eviltwin_1987
You could have put the trbo under the bed easier then in it, other than that it looks like a good/fun project
I thought about under the bed but since it was a drag truck that was getting cut up anyways i perfered in the bed as i can put a bed cover on it and have it a little more secure and the ease of working on it if anything does happen, plus its a little cooler to show off at local cruise ins and such, just pop up the cover and there it is... Just wanted to be a little differen't really...
Old 05-19-2010, 12:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Got a good ammount of work done on the charge pipe today...

Had to go through the cab instead of under the frame, i wasnt too cool with 1-2" of ground clearance lol... Kinda dumb looking but its a drag truck so im not too concerned here...

few more pics on the piping to the intercooler...

Dont make fun of my fab work too much, first time ever taking on this kind of a project so somethings i'll rework down the road to look cleaner. I'm just worrired about function right now...

Tomorrow or thursday im planning on finishing up the intercooler pipe from the IC to the throttle body and getting all the hangers welded in. Also want to get my wastegate and blowoff valve mounted...

Once i get everything mocked up it will be taken to a buddy who can actually weld (unlike my birds nest tack welds haha) then gotta get good coupler and figure out my vaccum lines for the WG and BOV then the turbo kit should be complete

Quick Reply: Turbo 5.3 s10 build...