Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Are these just quirks, or issues I should look into?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 10:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are these just quirks, or issues I should look into?

Hey everyone. I'm about 3 weeks into owning my "new" 2006 CTS-V, and while I'm absolutely loving it, there are a few things I'm hearing and/or feeling that I wanted to get some opinions on. I'll be the first to admit that I'm VERY picky about sounds and other anomalies my vehicles make ... which I think is a good thing, but it drives my wife nuts. Anyway...here are a couple things I've noticed. If anyone could comment on whether they think it needs attention or if it's just a quirk that's part of owning a V, that'd be great!

1) Bit of a 'jolt' on start-up. I can't really describe it, but it's not a smooth start-up like others cars I've owned. It still starts just fine, but right when the motor sparks up there's a definite jolt that can be felt and heard. I'm not used to such a beefy motor, so maybe it's part and parcel of that...?

2) Engine vibration at ~2,000 RPM. It doesn't seem to be rear-end related. It's present regardless of the gear I'm in or speed I'm going. Anytime around 2,000 - 2,300 RPM there's a faint vibration that can be felt throughout the car as well as in the steering wheel. This also seems to happen at idle but it's not as noticeable.

**Before moving to #3, an idea ... does 1+2 = possible engine mount issue?**

3) This wouldn't be a complete list without something pertaining to a rear-end issue. lol Fortunately I'm not getting any grinding or any abnormal sounds on turns, etc. But I am getting a whine from about 1,800 - 2,200 RPM's. It's most noticeable in 4th gear, but seems to be present in all gears. Also noteworthy is that it's only present on light acceleration or maintaining an RPM in that range. It's not there on deceleration and it's not there on moderate to heavy acceleration. My previous vehicle was a Mustang that whined on deceleration after I installed a 3.73 gear, so I'm totally used to the sound and it doesn't bother me ... but if it's a sign of things to come than I'll look into it further. The Mustang taught me that sometimes it's best to just leave well enough alone though. That, after re-installing that 3.73 a number of times before realizing that it just wasn't going to be a quiet gear.

4) Shifting isn't smooth at all. I've read a lot about the stock shifter being crap to begin with, so this is probably all part of that. It just doesn't seem to go from gear to gear very smoothly. I feel like I've really got to muscle it into each gear. My wife's car is a Mazda 3, so maybe comparing shifters isn't apples to apples.

Any input is greatly appreciated!!

Cheers!!
Old 04-21-2010, 09:44 PM
TECH Resident

Anybody?
Old 04-22-2010, 03:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I would assume your vibration issue is motor mount related... mine shakes a lot when I turn the motor off.

My rear end whines under light acceleration also... very loudly. This is NOT normal, and is a precursor to failure . The rear in my Blazer made the same types of noises for about a year before it crapped out on me. I am planning in the next week to change the diff fluid to Royal Purple to see if that helps with the noise issue, but with 500HP I'm still expecting it to fail... its just a matter of time.

I don't know about the shifter... mine is stock and honestly its not that bad. BUT my first stick was a T-56 in my TA, and now I'm in the Caddy with basically the same tranny, so maybe I don't notice it because I've never driven anything else.

-Mark
Old 04-22-2010, 07:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1BADCTS
I would assume your vibration issue is motor mount related... mine shakes a lot when I turn the motor off.

My rear end whines under light acceleration also... very loudly. This is NOT normal, and is a precursor to failure . The rear in my Blazer made the same types of noises for about a year before it crapped out on me. I am planning in the next week to change the diff fluid to Royal Purple to see if that helps with the noise issue, but with 500HP I'm still expecting it to fail... its just a matter of time.

I don't know about the shifter... mine is stock and honestly its not that bad. BUT my first stick was a T-56 in my TA, and now I'm in the Caddy with basically the same tranny, so maybe I don't notice it because I've never driven anything else.

-Mark
Great looking car Mark!! Thanks for the input.

I had the car at a shop today (to do the muffler delete) and I took advantage of it being up on the hoist and had a good look under there. I was able to get a good look at the passenger and driver's side motor mounts and both appeared as if they'd been through a muddy drive .. I'm not sure if this mud-looking stuff was leaked mount fluid/grease or if it was actually dirt. Both mounts looked like this though. That evidence along with the trans taking some effort to get into gear sometimes, I'm leaning towards the mounts being shot...or at least on their way out.

As for the diff, I have to say that I don't totally agree with you that a whine is a precursor to failure. With research I've done I've found that there are an overwhelming number of V owners who have had whining differentials, to varying extents, which have lasted them just fine. The same can be said for many of us who have changed our gears to steeper ratios in other vehicles. Richmond gears come to mind ... no matter how perfectly they're installed, they whine. This doesn't mean the rear is on it's way to failure. IE my previous car ... a mustang ... had a Richmond 3.73 that whined on the coast side for years ... no other problems other than the whine. I'm not arguing with you, because I appreciate your opinion (I did ask for it, after all), but my reading so far has given me a differeing opinion.

Thanks again and cheers!
Old 04-22-2010, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't believe your differential is on it's way out because it's whining. Replace the fluid with a slightly heavier gear oil and make sure it has an lsd additive or add that yourself. That will help with the whining and your diff should last just fine as long as you don't abuse it.

Your motor mounts are probably shot. Search around and read up on the creative steel mounts and the uuc mounts.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:52 PM
TECH Regular

Looks like you're on the right track with the motor mounts. The liquid filled mounts are notorius for giving up rather quickly. 400 ft/lbs of torque doesn't help. If you replace them you may want to consider the offerings from Creative Steel. They are less expensive and more durable without being to harsh. Several posters have reported good results with them.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Big Bu Bu
Looks like you're on the right track with the motor mounts. The liquid filled mounts are notorius for giving up rather quickly. 400 ft/lbs of torque doesn't help. If you replace them you may want to consider the offerings from Creative Steel. They are less expensive and more durable without being to harsh. Several posters have reported good results with them.
I have the creative mounts and so far so good. I had a super knock from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd under hard accelaration until the change was made. The vibration at idle and through the gears is gone as well. Creative steel is great to work with. Do the mounts and see if your problems with start up and shifting go away.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:15 AM
Launching!

My previous V had a B&M short throw shifter on it and the new V has stock shifter. First drive in it I knocked the ashtray open. Can't wait to get the B&M on there. From driving both, I absolutely prefer the short throw.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:17 PM
TECH Resident

I appreciate the input everyone. Thanks.
Although I do a lot of stuff myself, I don't have an engine hoist or multiple floor jacks, so does anyone know what I should expect a shop to charge me for labour to do motor mounts? Is the job do-able without an engine hoist? Should the trans mount be done at the same time?

Quick Reply: Are these just quirks, or issues I should look into?