Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

replacing stock ac/bose hu..having problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 01:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question replacing stock ac/bose hu..having problems

Hey guys, I just purchased a new kenwood excelon hu to replace my old ac delco/bose radio. Now when i have it hooked up straight to the harness, it will play music from the radio but not from a cd. Then i was told from someone that i had to buy a scosche part fai-3a, line out converter. Now when i have that hooked up in-between the harnesses, it still wont play from a cd, but it will play from the radio. I have tried disconnecting one of the speaker leads from the radio and hooking it up to a speaker from the home theater and sound does come out of it when playing a cd. So i know for sure the radio is working fine. Am i missing something??? Should i just say f*ck it and replace all the speakers and run new speaker wire from the doors to it? I was planning on doing that eventually but not right away. Thanks, mike
Old 04-21-2010, 01:58 PM
Teching In

i got fed up with trying to just replace the headunit, so i went ahead and replaced all the speakers while i was at it. sounds alot better.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

That is the route im probably gonna take. I just didnt want to take it this early.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

anyone else??? Im thinking i might just put the old radio back in until im ready to purchase new speakers.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

easy fix comeing off your radio there is a blue wire (power antenna) connected to a blue wire on the gm harness.

your radio also has a blue/white wire called amp control or remote hook this wire to the blue wire from the gm harness and tape off the blue wire form the radio

done problem solved
Old 04-21-2010, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

Dude your awesome!! It works now! Out of curiosity tho, why am i hooking up the remote turn on wire to the power antenna? Is that how the factory amp gets power?
Old 04-22-2010, 05:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup factory amp gets power on a bose car from that wire

the problem is the gm wiring harness is very generic to all gm cars had u had a non boze firebird with power antenna that wire would push the power antenna up and down

and on ur radio the power antenna wire only gets triggered when on the radio not cd etc

its a common issue people to see on cars with oem amps that have turn on wires not just f bodys but numerous diff makes and models
Old 04-22-2010, 06:29 AM
On The Tree

Ah, i gotcha. Well i do appreciate the help and knowledge. Thanks