Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heater core need to be aluminum?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 05:07 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default heater core need to be aluminum?

Hello,

Doing a LS conversion on a 65 Impala.

Does the heater core also need to be aluminum? I am thinking answer is yes since it will galvanically corrode like the radiator would.

Any input appreciated.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally, I don't see why you would need the same for both parts; rad and heater core. I've heard a couple schools of thought to this, but I wouldn't worry about material differences. You can get a sacrificial anode for the rad from a couple places to take the worry about the coolant eating anything anytime soon.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it too much.. just keep an eye out for anything.. and keep the coolant in good working condition and there will be nothing to worry about.. have not seen any trace of problem with mine in 4+ years.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Who sells an aluminum heater core? I never thought about that one....
Old 04-21-2010, 07:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

alot of late model ones are aluminum. but if your really worried about it, you could use some coolant conditioner. its in a white bottle shaped like an antifreeze jug, i think the brand is zerex. its supposed to lubricate all the cooling system components (seals in the pump i guess) and keep anything from eating or depositing in the system.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:04 PM
Launching!

I just figured since there is a big deal about using aluminum for the radiator, why would you not use it for the heater core since it is part of the same system.

Anyone think I should just use a 4 core brass with an anode in the system? How long do the anodes last?
Old 04-21-2010, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get a 2 row aluminum rad that will cool alot better than a 4 row brass. Be Cool is one that has the anodes. As for how long they last, I'm not sure.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Run the green antifreeze and dont worry about it
Old 04-21-2010, 09:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

I've had a copper brass radiator and heater core in my Nova for almost 10 years with no problems. And as Pocket said, use the green antifreeze, and change it on a preventative maintenance cycle as you would on any other car.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:31 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I wasn`t even aware there would be problems with running a brass radiator.....I had one when I first completed the swap. I did change to an aluminum one later, but that was because I punctured the brass one during the swap and didn`t trust my solder job for too long. Been running the brass heater core for the past 5 years and 60k without any problems.

I run the prestone extended life coolant, no problems other than that stuff is nasty oilyish yuck. But it doesn`t seem like any of the stores in my area stock the good old green stuff so I guess I`m stuck with it.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the only way the aluminum will "galvanically corrode" with other dissimilar metals is if they are in direct electrical contact. That is why rubber isolators are needed to mount an aluminum radiator. Not an issue with the heater core. Unless you are using copper heater hoses I guess.

Simply don't worry about it.

They have been making cars with iron blocks, brass radiators and aluminum heads-water pumps-intakes since the 60's or earlier. You can't run straight water, you have to have some type of antifreeze, but that is standard.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:38 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the info. I read a couple books and they had me worried about the problems.

Since the two brass ones that I have are of unknown condition, I guess I will send them to a shop to get looked at.

Quick Reply: heater core need to be aluminum?