Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Removing cigarette lighter?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Removing cigarette lighter?

How do you remove the cigarette lighter from a 97+ M6 center console (the top part)? There are 2 plastic clips on the backside holding the trim in, but I can't press them in because the metal insert is there. I don't want to damage it. You can see the tabs I'm talking about in the second pic:

Old 04-21-2010, 06:48 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

that doesn't look like mine, and mines a 97, mine just screwed on...
Old 04-21-2010, 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Push it from the back.. Thats how I got mine off.. BTW What are you doing with it, because I actually lost mine and wanted a new one..
Old 04-21-2010, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by scj
that doesn't look like mine, and mines a 97, mine just screwed on...
Oh, well maybe the 97 ones are different. My brother got it for me, so it's probably from an LS1 then.

Originally Posted by FamousZ
Push it from the back.. Thats how I got mine off.. BTW What are you doing with it, because I actually lost mine and wanted a new one..
Yep, I got it figured out. In case anyone searches for this, there are 2 small plastic tabs holding the metal part in. You can see one of them in the first pic, it's square. I just used some pliers to pinch the metal right above them, and it slipped right out.

I'm swapping it from this console to my new one. The one I have is the right color, but it didn't come with a cigarette lighter.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a little OT, but do they make caps similar like the one near the cup holder? I would like to remove the cigarette lighter and just put a black cap in its place. If so, where are they sold?

Thanks!
Old 04-22-2010, 12:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Angry

Originally Posted by Spartan7
How do you remove the cigarette lighter from a 97+ M6 center console (the top part)? There are 2 plastic clips on the backside holding the trim in, but I can't press them in because the metal insert is there.

Good News, Bad News! I have the console out of my car currently for some work so I just went thru this entire ordeal and YES you are correct, those tabs are the demon anti Christ!
In my case I was the same as you until after fooling with it for over an hour, I gave up and broke it apart. I then went on thru gmpartsdirect and ordered all of the parts I needed to reassemble it. But after I finished painting it, the lighter fits in the hole tight enough so its good to go. But if you break it and you will, gm shows it in 2 parts, the collar and the body of the lighter housing. Appears you snap them together once and thats it, they no longer come apart without breaking them, or if they do I cant find a way without breaking those tabs. YMMV

PS-I still have the new parts if you want them, I will cut you a deal.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:35 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ha I couldn't get mine apart so I just cut the metal apart
Old 04-22-2010, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157
Appears you snap them together once and thats it, they no longer come apart without breaking them, or if they do I cant find a way without breaking those tabs. YMMV
Nope, I got mine out without breaking it. All you have to do is pinch the metal casing a little so it slips past those plastic tabs, then bend it back. The lighter is a little tight, but I didn't break anything. And I never use the thing anyway.

But yea, you're right. GM designed it to never come out. Typical.

Quick Reply: Removing cigarette lighter?