Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Cold air intakes and my options...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cold air intakes and my options...

hey guys,

so i'm working my way in to finally modding my V other than suspension and looks. a buddy of mine is selling me a predator tuner for 200 bucks and i was looking to get an intake along with it. i was going to go to my buddies shop to get a baseline dyno, pop a CAI on and the tune and run again to see the gains.

now, my assumption is that K&N is the standard, but i've seen prices anywhere from 280 to 330 on ebay. are there other options that are just as good or better? if so, any recommendations as to where i can get one?

i'm open to all comments and recommendations.

thanks!

tony
Old 04-21-2010, 09:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

performance peddler... K&N intake is $261 shipped.

Get a custom tune if possible vs buying a predator.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i've heard nothing but good things about the tuner and almost everyone i've asked has recommended it. are you referring to the standard map that comes with it or the tuner/programmer itself?

that's a good price for the intake. thanks!
Old 04-21-2010, 11:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 for the k and n

+1 for not wasting 200 on the predator. dyno tunes are much better and gains are better and safer. If you wanna tune yourself save and grab the HPtuners prgram. Having the handhelds limits what you can do especially the more you do. If you do a cam your gonna need a dyno tune or HPtuners. 200 is not a great deal anyways when you can get a dynotune for 350-400.

BTW i had the preloaded handheld tune from superchips on mine and when i went for a dynotune on nitrous, they did a run on motor and had to shut down because it was so lean. One base tune doesnt work well on every car. Each car can be different and making one tune definetly can hurt you. Hence why you cna put 10 V's on the same dyno with the same mods and have numbers that are all different. I picked up 33rwhp from CAI, muffler delete, and a dynotune.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

+1 for the dyno tune.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just got a K&N CAI. Its a great product. Still need to hit the dyno to see how it compared to my home made hot air intake.

Dyno/street tune is best.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol, so i'm a bit confused now. I was thinking I could tune the car with the predator on a dyno. you guys are saying dyno tune, but what device are you referring to when doing so? How are you going to do a custom tune without a programmer or some sort of interface?

sorry if i seem ignorant, just trying to clarify.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

^ The tuner, not you or the device, as in guy that tunes the car should have the correct hardware/software...nothing is needed on your end for a dyno tune...just money.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:42 PM
Teching In

Professional tuners use a more extensive tuning device/software such as HP Tuners. My tuner uses HP tuners and tunes on the dyno and does a street tune. Much much better than a diablo handheld tuner.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:30 PM
Staging Lane

Okay, so has anyone seen more than 3-5hp out of the CAI?
Old 04-22-2010, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

The DiabloSport Predator tunes, while not as good as having your car tuned on a dyno, are very helpful and worth the price. DiabloSport sells a lot of Predators, the tunes are dyno tested, and their customer support is the very best in the industry. Johan Mangs, the Master Tuner at DiabloSport, is one of the very best. Yeah, I am a little biased, as he has tuned both of my cars for the past five years, his knowledge is top-notch, as is his reputation in the industry, Based on Diablosport's success, I would venture to say that their tunes are the most prevelant in the LSx and DCX engines.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Yeqon
Okay, so has anyone seen more than 3-5hp out of the CAI?
Not on a stock or lightly modded car. If you have a cammed/header/exhaust V and add the CAI it will add more.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:51 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tony tone
lol, so i'm a bit confused now. I was thinking I could tune the car with the predator on a dyno. you guys are saying dyno tune, but what device are you referring to when doing so? How are you going to do a custom tune without a programmer or some sort of interface?

sorry if i seem ignorant, just trying to clarify.
You are right on.

Load the canned tune, make a pull, log it, and see what is happening.

If you see KR, adjust accordingly.
If the A/F is not exactly where you want it, adjust for max power, this can all be done very simply, and safely, through the Predators adjustable parameters.

As you start to mod the car more, like longtubes, cams, forced induction, (or all of the above, like onebadcad) you will need more extensive tuning, but you can visit any of our CMR tuning dealers and have them custom tune the car with our software, and load the custom tunes (up to 5 of them) to your handheld.

I think onebadcad's V is a pretty good example of what CMR and a Predator can do....theres nothing mild about his build, yet it starts right up, runs like a champ, and manages to put down some pretty good number as that.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks
Old 04-22-2010, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Regarding the intake, talk to Jamie at Vera Cadillac, he has worked on lots of Vs, and may have his own design to push more air. Here is what he did with my C6, which IMO is not matched by any other offering; my P-1 is producing 9.5psi with no slipping on 6-rib with no after-market pulley/drive system:
Attached Thumbnails Cold air intakes and my options...-hpim0940-1-.jpg  
Old 04-22-2010, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike@Diablosport
I think onebadcad's V is a pretty good example of what CMR and a Predator can do....theres nothing mild about his build, yet it starts right up, runs like a champ, and manages to put down some pretty good number as that.
Still claims the V1 World Record for The Standing Mile at 162mph!!!
Old 04-22-2010, 02:01 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by onebadcad
Regarding the intake, talk to Jamie at Vera Cadillac, he has worked on lots of Vs, and may have his own design to push more air. Here is what he did with my C6, which IMO is not matched by any other offering; my P-1 is producing 9.5psi with no slipping on 6-rib with no after-market pulley/drive system:
Did you see the set up he made for that 09 V?

Looks sharp too....
Old 04-22-2010, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

spoke to Jamie... i may end up getting that K&N from the place listed above, but i can't seem to find it on their site.

i guess i'm undecided on the tuner...
Old 04-22-2010, 04:22 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by tony tone

i guess i'm undecided on the tuner...
Talk to Jamie about that too
Old 04-22-2010, 10:07 PM
On The Tree

For the CAI, I just ordered the tube from K&N for $65 and you could fab up a housing and buy a filter for $50. That would be the cheapest. I already had the Lingenfelter housing which uses the stock intake tube which I switch out to a K&N.

Don't bother getting a tune until you get headers. What ever tuner you go with, make sure you get logged data so the tuner can adjust it properly. Every car is different.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by den_99_GTX
For the CAI, I just ordered the tube from K&N for $65 and you could fab up a housing and buy a filter for $50. That would be the cheapest. I already had the Lingenfelter housing which uses the stock intake tube which I switch out to a K&N.

Don't bother getting a tune until you get headers. What ever tuner you go with, make sure you get logged data so the tuner can adjust it properly. Every car is different.
Do you think the tune is a waste unless the V is heavily modded? Cause some guy on this site stated that he gained 33rwh with a muffler delete, CAI, and dyno tune!

LAW

Quick Reply: Cold air intakes and my options...