Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are people keeping thier non-OD tranmsssions with thier swap?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 07:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Why are people keeping thier non-OD tranmsssions with thier swap?

I noticed SEVERAL threads where members are doing the Gen III swaps but deciding to keep thier TH-350 or 400 transmissions.....why is that?

It doesn't make sense to upgrade to fuel injection and not use a transmission with overdrive to reap the full benefit of the whole package.

I don't mean to be judgemental, I just want to understand...is it a cost issue? Racing issue? fittament issue?

I understand the ones who are throwing a carb on the engine and keep the factory feel of the muscle car with added HP, but what are are the other reasons?

I could have kept the TH-350 that was under my camaro, but after picking up the car and driving home with it roaring on the highway...I knew that would have been the first thing to upgrade anyways...I would have replaced it with a 700r4 if I didn't go 5.3 and grabbed a 4l60e along the way.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cost and strength would be my guess. Lots of engines to be had cheaply w/o the tranny, if you already have a tranny that you trust to handle the new engine... why not keep it?

I understand the carb thing, I just don't get it when it's too simple to keep the EFI. Never been a fan of tuning carbs.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by rotor vs. piston

I understand the carb thing, I just don't get it when it's too simple to keep the EFI. Never been a fan of tuning carbs.
I was originally going to use a 454 and install a cam and matching valvetrain. Then do FAST EFI later. ($$$$$$$$$$$$) I changed that to LSX with EFI/ODtrans because I didn't want to have to tune a carb and I wanted to be able to AFFORD to drive the damn thing.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1976CamaroGuy
It doesn't make sense to upgrade to fuel injection and not use a transmission with overdrive to reap the full benefit of the whole package.
I don't understand your statement. Not sure what a carb has to do with an OD trans. The mileage difference between a carb and EFI isn't that different, especially on the freeway. I can see where having the EFI means you don't need a separate trans controller, but to me OD vs. non-OD doesn't have a lot to do with the induction method.

A lot of posts I read from guys who stick with an older trans do it because they have one, maybe one they have sunk a bit of money into building up, and want to save money by sticking with something they know isn't going to blow up. Then there is the convenience of using the same trans mount-shifter-driveshaft-speedo hook up and maybe not having to bang up the trans tunnel. Plus not everyone has street only cars. If all you are doing is hitting the local track, not having OD may not be a big deal.

Having said that I have an OD 5 speed with my carb'd set up. That way I got to keep the stock Datsun shift ****. Maybe stupid but from the inside my car looks stock. Even kept the manual choke ****.