Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LS7 clutch checklist. Did I forget anything?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 04:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS7 clutch checklist. Did I forget anything?

Ok, so I got LS7 clutch kit(pp plate, disc, flywheel), an ls1 master with about 200 miles on it that will get the drill mod prior to installation. What else do I need?

Seals, etc...?

Im doing some research on a slave cylinder, any recomendations? this is a dd car.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get a new stock slave. and a tick master, even though ur master is new. lol. u could do ur rear main seal since ur back there.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:19 PM
Staging Lane

I may be having some engagement issues with mine. anyone ever hear of these causing grinding? worked fine after a tranny rebuild, gave it a hard 1,2,3,4, stuck in 4th, then popped it out to have 3rd and 4th gear grind unless i hit the clutch to take it out of gear, and to put it back in. WTF???
Old 04-22-2010, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CaliboyTA
get a new stock slave. and a tick master, even though ur master is new. lol. u could do ur rear main seal since ur back there.
Rear main seal. got it...

I got a stock master that I got when I got the car. Im just gonna use that cuz it only has a few miles on it..
Old 04-23-2010, 07:19 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

if the rear main isnt leaking dont change it. to properly install the seal over the crank you need a special tool. if one of the seal lips gets pinched, youre going to be buying another clutch and doing this all over again.

be sure to seal the flywheel to crank bolts.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the rear main isnt leaking dont change it. to properly install the seal over the crank you need a special tool. if one of the seal lips gets pinched, youre going to be buying another clutch and doing this all over again.
Agreed, if it's not leaking leave it alone, does not require a special tool just gotta be creative. Also, if you do end up replacing it, please only use OEM parts. Anything else will leak.

I say get a new master especially if you dont know if its the 01 revised verison. Good luck bud
Old 04-23-2010, 11:27 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

im talking about the aluminum disc designed to keep the inner seal lips from folding over when the cover is installed over the crank. not the tool for pressing the seal into the cover, thats the easy part.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2000Z28M6
Agreed, if it's not leaking leave it alone, does not require a special tool just gotta be creative. Also, if you do end up replacing it, please only use OEM parts. Anything else will leak.

I say get a new master especially if you dont know if its the 01 revised verison. Good luck bud
As far as the master, it was bought brand new from the GM dealership so it should be the new one. I got it from my friend who parted out his car after he totaled it. Didn't even have it installed for a month.

The seal is leaking so we will be changing it when we do the clutch.

Im curious as to how the 01 master was revised. Anyone know?
Old 04-23-2010, 01:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Z28_LT1
As far as the master, it was bought brand new from the GM dealership so it should be the new one. I got it from my friend who parted out his car after he totaled it. Didn't even have it installed for a month.

The seal is leaking so we will be changing it when we do the clutch.

Im curious as to how the 01 master was revised. Anyone know?
FWIW I recently installed a brand new GM master in my car only to still have disengagement issues. Kinda wish i spent the few extra bucks and bought the tick adjustable. but...

If you weren't having issues before just do the drill mod and put it all back together. If it gives you problems then spend the money on a tick.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:11 PM
Staging Lane

i would recommend a different master cylinder..i got a brand new gm one and did the drill mod and i still have disengagement problems..also when i did my ls7 clutch i got a 01/02 slave and a new pilot bearing
Old 04-23-2010, 02:11 PM
TECH Addict

Spend the $35 or om a mity vac bleeder kit, you won't regret it. Done correctly, the stock master and slave should work fine. If the dealer has them, get new flywheel and clutch bolts, they're only a couple of bucks and I like using new bolts on the flywheel and clutch. Get antisieze to put on the alignment pins, after you wrestle your bell housing off, you'll want to use it. get a new pilot bearing and a puller to get the old one out - DO NOT try the tissue paper, grease, or any other method that puts pressure on the back of the crank.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

New flywheel and bolts on hand.

If that master gives me problems after the drill mod, will I have to drop the transmission again to change it?

I probably should mention this: the car has close to 150k miles. That being said, anything else that should get swapped?

Thanks for the pilot bearing suggestion, cDorch.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by km346
FWIW I recently installed a brand new GM master in my car only to still have disengagement issues. Kinda wish i spent the few extra bucks and bought the tick adjustable. but...

If you weren't having issues before just do the drill mod and put it all back together. If it gives you problems then spend the money on a tick.
I considered the tick adj and checked the price. a few bucks?? $339.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z28_LT1
I considered the tick adj and checked the price. a few bucks?? $339.
That's originally what I said when I saw the price tag. And guess what?

Out of the mods I've done to my car, the tick master (when I did the LS7 clutch swap) was the BEST decision I've made with this car. Period.

If the stock master still ***** up with stock clutches, etc, in general, think of how it will work with a LS7 clutch...

I can bang gears like no other now; how it's supposed to work.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

could you do me a huge favor? how do i know if i have an ls7 clutch? i assume there are numbers somewhere could you pm me or post them here? im trying to figure out if a shop fu#$ed me... thanks!
Old 04-30-2010, 08:16 AM
Teching In

What is the drill mod I put the ls7 clutch in my car yesterday but didn't drill anything?
Old 04-30-2010, 08:44 AM
TECH Addict

The drill mod is drilling the restriction out of the hydrolic line that runs from the slave to the master. And I guess the new f body slaves have a small restriction in the slave itself that needs to be drilled as well.