Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear Wheel Bearing Replacement HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 07:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Rear Wheel Bearing Replacement HELP!

We just took off the diff cover and after reading GM SPO and my Haynes manual and a buncha text-writeups (no pics) we don't know what we're doing wrong here.

We unbolted a nut inside the diff that's long -- long enough where we can't even pull the whole thing out cuz it gets blocked. In any case, we pulled something out that's being held by that nut and out came this cartridge looking thing. It's black and about 1-2 inches wide, 4 inches tall, and maybe about .75 inches thick. We're trying to get these C-clips out, at least we think they're C-Clips, but they're so buried in there, we're using magnets, flat heads, finger nails, nothing seems to be able to get these out. ANyone know of a picture writeup I can look at or know what we're doing wrong?

This is a 2001 SS Camaro with stock diff.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nvm..had to remove ABS sensor to move the axle in far enough to get access to c clips.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

do a search in this 'gears and axles' for axle bearings,there you'll find quite a few threads on the topic.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
do a search in this 'gears and axles' for axle bearings,there you'll find quite a few threads on the topic.
I was frantically looking for one on here and Google since I was doing the replacement (and stuck) while posting. Everything I've seen/read went directly from "Remove the pin" to "remove the C Clips". My problem was I couldn't get the C Clips out -- because the axles couldn't be pushed in far enough...because the ABS sensor was in the way. I'm surprised that ABS sensor didn't make its way into any of the writeups (including GM Service Manual or Haynes)

Quick Reply: Rear Wheel Bearing Replacement HELP!