Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF, Y Pipe Install Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 07:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default WTF, Y Pipe Install Help!

So far I've wasted 5 hours between two different days trying to install this LPP ORY only to fail with the pipe half way installed and stuck.

What is the best way to install the Y pipe? I'm also trying to use a thin layer of RTV for a good seal, so maybe thats making it harder?
Old 04-23-2010, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same thing happened to me with my texas speed y-pipe. Started putting it all together from the headers back to my cat back. I guess I had put a few of the peices at the wrong angle and by the time I got back to the merge and cat back nothing was really fitting right and it looked all messed up. I couldn't even get the two sides to connect to the merge. I got so frustrated I slept on it and went back the next day.

Tried again to twist the pipes around and get it straight and couldn't do it. I was livid. So I just calmed down, bit the bullet and took the entire y-pipe apart and started all over. This time I could kinda see where I went wrong and what angle some of the bends should have been at. With a little time and a few beers it worked out.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

This last time I tried building it from the headers. I assembled the Y pipe and tried to put it on the headers but it just wouldn't go. Now I'm gonna try putting the y together while I'm putting it on the headers I guess.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

I got the y on last night. It took a couple hours with a friends help. I don't see how one person alone could get this on. First, I assmebled the y then sqeezed it on to the ends of the headers. Then I had to push one side of the y on a little then the other side back and forth like 6 times. Each time moving it like .25 in. While I was pushing one side on to the header my friend banged on the inner side of the y close to the connection. The connection on each side was angling towards the center of the car. By banging it outward while someone pushed it on with all their might, allowed it to be inched on. The I pipe connected pretty easy after that. My friend lined it up while I pushed the catback from behind the car.

Also before I put the Y on this time I took a file and put a slight chamfer on the pipe connections since I knew the were gonna be sliding together at an angle. This also took some of the burs off the ends.

I do have a small leak on one side though. I'm gonna try to adjust the clamp.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 105
I got the y on last night. It took a couple hours with a friends help. I don't see how one person alone could get this on. First, I assmebled the y then sqeezed it on to the ends of the headers. Then I had to push one side of the y on a little then the other side back and forth like 6 times. Each time moving it like .25 in. While I was pushing one side on to the header my friend banged on the inner side of the y close to the connection. The connection on each side was angling towards the center of the car. By banging it outward while someone pushed it on with all their might, allowed it to be inched on. The I pipe connected pretty easy after that. My friend lined it up while I pushed the catback from behind the car.

Also before I put the Y on this time I took a file and put a slight chamfer on the pipe connections since I knew the were gonna be sliding together at an angle. This also took some of the burs off the ends.

I do have a small leak on one side though. I'm gonna try to adjust the clamp.
are you guys assembling the y first and then forcing it on the headers? I assembled mine one piece at a time starting from the headers and working my way back, making sure everything fit snug and twisting and tweaking for maximum clearance. It takes patience but the longer you test fit without clamping everything tight the better it will turn out! I installed my y AND catback all by myself in about 6 hours. Every car is different tho.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by razer900
are you guys assembling the y first and then forcing it on the headers? I assembled mine one piece at a time starting from the headers and working my way back, making sure everything fit snug and twisting and tweaking for maximum clearance. It takes patience but the longer you test fit without clamping everything tight the better it will turn out! I installed my y AND catback all by myself in about 6 hours. Every car is different tho.
Well the LPP Y comes in two pieces. I tried to just put one side on then the other and it just wouldn't fit. When I was test fitting, maybe I just missed the special secret way they are supposed to fit together. Thats why I started this thread. So yeah, I assembled it then forced it onto the headers. But yeah, the brand and the car could make a difference.

Also I couldn't get the stock exhaust hanger to line up to the Y on the passenger side either.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I added LT's and my Aftermarket Y, I removed the bolts holding the brackets for my LM Catback. This gave a little more play and allowed me to get the pieces of the Y-pipe slipped together. Then before tightening everything up, I reinstalled the bracket bolts to get the catback where it should be and then proceeded to sinch everything up.

Seemed to work out pretty well. No exhaust leaks.

Hope this helps. Good luck, man.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

I fixed the leak for the most part. I almost cant even feel anything coming out now. I just moved the clamp back a little and retightened.

I took it around the block and its nice and loud with the cutout open. A little louder with it closed. At idle I can hardly tell a difference with my stock catback.