Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best choice for my goals?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 01:03 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best choice for my goals?

Currently my WS6 has Lt's, no cats and a 3" X-pipe with powersticks and is then dumped before the axle. Car is also lowered and easily scrapes.

I want a little more ground clearance, and it to be a lot more quiet, like a stock car with a catback, but also keep as much power as possible.

Went to a couple shops, and the option I thought was best is to step down to 2.5" pipes starting at the headers, going into an X-pipe, and mandrel bends over the axles to the muffler(s).

Now my questions begin. Am I going to lose much power going down from 3" to 2.5"?

They recommend a dual inlet/outlet muffler. Is that going to lose much more power than going to two separate mufflers?

And for either single or dual mufflers, what dimensions are going to fit? Guess the duals would be in the standard spot I see people have them here behind the wheels. I have a guy that will give them to me at wholesale, so I need to know what to bring to a install shop.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:00 PM
Staging Lane

Bump...
Old 04-25-2010, 06:42 PM
Launching!

Well i heard 2.5" duals can start robbing power around the 450 rwhp mark, so if your cammed or H/C and around 420-430rwhp im not so sure you would wanna go 2.5", i mean ive read of people having 2.5 duals running mid 400 rwhp but im sure they would see some more ponies if they went to 3".

But then again the loss wont be huge, so some lost hp for the peace of mind of better clearance would be alright.

Hey the body of the powersticks dont bulge out like most bullet mufflers right? Might have to swap my bullets out for them, the bullets are the lowest point of my dual system and scrape sometimes and im not even freaking lowered
Old 04-25-2010, 08:06 PM
Staging Lane

I don't mind losing a little power.

And yea the powersticks aren't that much bigger than 3" pipe. Loud tho, I don't mind but I am in ridiculous laws Cali so....

Don't think the mic on my camera picks up the noise difference too well, the Trans is WAY louder.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvTiS0IUnRY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ofP0KgjW28
Old 04-26-2010, 05:17 AM
Launching!

sick man heres mine, LTs, magnaflow metallic cats, 3" X, bullets, then reduced to 2.5" and ext out back with crush bends, when i extended it out back it was much more quite, prob mostly due to the cats.

But you know what in ur situation id prob go 2.5" whole way, keep it lower, less scrapes, have it more quite. Add cats like me to quiten it up and get powersticks or bullets and just place them in the back horizontally, ive seen it done on duals. Or on the piping under the bumper before the tips if you can get away with it.

Or you can keep no cats, but get a quite muffler like magnflow, heard they are very quite and mellow at idle but ****** scream at wot, that would be killer.

yo im thinking about ditching the bullets for powersticks, just cause for sound and performance the powersticks seem to be right up there with the bullets but they are much smaller, the bullets kill my ground clearance i think they are 5" diameter , what you think? vid is warm start

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYLGZjaWrRs&fmt=18
Old 04-26-2010, 06:38 PM
Staging Lane

Yea I looked on their site, the 3" and 2.5" power sticks are 3.5" total diameter, so that would give you more room. It's hard to judge with different camera mics, but I'd guess the powersticks would sound a lot deeper at idle and louder at wot.

And yea I'm leaning towards magnaflow as I see people saying they are quiet at idle/low rpms which is what I prefer. I don't know about cats, I'd want aftermarket if anything and that seems like a hassle to get shipped to Cali or buy used, plus extra costs.

Quick Reply: Best choice for my goals?