Sponsored by:

windage tray

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 09:41 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default windage tray

Hello,

Still fitting my LS1 into my 65 Impala. I have cut about 1" off of the pan where the windage tray begins. It is the side with the curved vertical piece that goes around the suction tube. The tube is still a good 2" from where the new edge of the pan will be.

Should I just cut the offending piece off of the windage tray with my plasma cutter and leave it in there partially? The car will be no race car, so losing 10 HP at top end will not kill me. .

I am off tomorrow to get my argon gas for my aluminum welding adventure. Thank god for community college welding classes and for spool guns.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What parts and engine are you working with, the "LS1 F-body" engine and Oil Pan uses a 3/4 length pan.. so.. if your using a full Windage Tray (which is they only ones that would come close to the tube pickup/pump location.

It can be cut down without problem.. as long as the re-maining part doesn't vibrate and come into contact with the rotating assembly your ok. but Like I said.. the LS1 F-Body windage is only 3/4 and stop just after the main.. there was a thread about someone cutting there down last month

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...1-oil-pan.html
Old 04-25-2010, 10:04 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I must be mistaken about the part I am referring to.

My engine is from a 2002 LS1. F-body.

I am talking about the part that mounts in the pan itself. It goes around the pickup tube and bolts to the pan. With the shorter pan, I will be missing two bolts that could make the part rattle loose eventually. Piece is thick steel, so that may help it from not rattling out.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok.. I know the part now.. it is used to help keep the oil around the pickup during cornering and stopping.. Yeah.. if you have cut off the two mounting locations..hmm.. I don't have a solution, sorry..

I think many might cut the pan and leave the thread boss in place.. but you must have cut a larger section out. The only thing I could suggest is welding some support tabs in to secure it.

good luck.