Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 auto ls1 wiring harness on 03 5.3 auto swap complications on the trans

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 01:11 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 98 auto ls1 wiring harness on 03 5.3 auto swap complications on the trans

--edit-- ***its an 02 5.3 swap** I recently bought a 5.3 swap for my ranger, it was 100% complete with accessories, pan to intake plus a 4l60e, just no wiring or computer. Soo i buy a 98 wiring harness and PCM for an auto ls1 off some guy on craigslist. I just now plugged in all the connections so i could start deleting the plugs i wont be needing. Rear o2's, emissions, ETC. When i got down to the trans, the gear selector only had two recepticles for the wiring, whereas my harness has three, and to top it off those three plugs do not even fit the selector modules recepticles. Was i sold a wrong wiring harness? or are the truck trannies different for some reason? See pics for reference. The second pic shows the three plugs from the harness and on the far right in blue was the plug from the gear selector module that was still left in the trans. the guy i got the swap from left that one in there for whatever reason. Then the first pic shows the receptles on the gear selector module. Any insight is greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails 98 auto ls1 wiring harness on 03 5.3 auto swap complications on the trans-dscn2267.jpg   98 auto ls1 wiring harness on 03 5.3 auto swap complications on the trans-dscn2265.jpg  

Last edited by Hi Volume; 04-26-2010 at 01:20 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Maybe try the hybrid section?? That's where you'd likely get help.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thread moved from Advanced Tech.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The Truck tranny's use that "gear selector" switch mounted on the side of the trans to tell the truck PCM's what gear its in as well as display the proper gear on the indicator on the trucks instrument cluster. If you have the proper connectors with a decent amount of wires for the trans you can use the attached diagrams to cut off the 98 ls1 connectors and connect the wires to the truck trans from the 98 pcm. The reason he left that connector in the switch is probably because he couldnt get it out. GM glue's those connectors in those NSBU switches. Ask any duramax owner that has had shifting/indicator issues how much fun they are to try and get unplugged

If you look at both diagrams the colors on both vehicles trans solenoids are the same, the only wire that looks like it is a different color is the ground(low Reference) for the trans fluid temp sensor. on the truck its Gray (Or Black) on the car its orange/black.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
98transwiring.pdf (69.0 KB, 233 views)
File Type: pdf
02chevy53transwiring.pdf (65.3 KB, 240 views)

Last edited by 02NavyBlueZ; 04-28-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 02NavyBlueZ
The reason he left that connector in the switch is probably because he couldnt get it out. GM glue's those connectors in those NSBU switches.
They don't glue them in that is the sealant in the connector that leaks into there when it get hot. Just use a heat gun and then pull it out. Otherwise you end up needing a new switch and connector when you break it.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Hi Volume
--edit-- ***its an 02 5.3 swap** I recently bought a 5.3 swap for my ranger, it was 100% complete with accessories, pan to intake plus a 4l60e, just no wiring or computer. Soo i buy a 98 wiring harness and PCM for an auto ls1 off some guy on craigslist. I just now plugged in all the connections so i could start deleting the plugs i wont be needing. Rear o2's, emissions, ETC. When i got down to the trans, the gear selector only had two recepticles for the wiring, whereas my harness has three, and to top it off those three plugs do not even fit the selector modules recepticles. Was i sold a wrong wiring harness? or are the truck trannies different for some reason? See pics for reference. The second pic shows the three plugs from the harness and on the far right in blue was the plug from the gear selector module that was still left in the trans. the guy i got the swap from left that one in there for whatever reason. Then the first pic shows the receptles on the gear selector module. Any insight is greatly appreciated!
the trucks use the switch on the side of the trans for gear selection. the LS1 autos dont have that switch mounted on the trans. they use a switch mounted inside the car on the shifter so thats why you have no connectors on your 98 LS1 harness to fit those plugs. you will be better off either getting a truck PCM and making a harness for that switch or just figure out what inputs that 98 PCM needs as far as shifter position.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1quickirocz
the trucks use the switch on the side of the trans for gear selection. the LS1 autos dont have that switch mounted on the trans. they use a switch mounted inside the car on the shifter so thats why you have no connectors on your 98 LS1 harness to fit those plugs. you will be better off either getting a truck PCM and making a harness for that switch or just figure out what inputs that 98 PCM needs as far as shifter position.
The Truck tranny's use that "gear selector" switch mounted on the side of the trans to tell the truck PCM's what gear its in as well as display the proper gear on the indicator on the trucks instrument cluster. If you have the proper connectors with a decent amount of wires for the trans you can use the attached diagrams to cut off the 98 ls1 connectors and connect the wires to the truck trans from the 98 pcm. The reason he left that connector in the switch is probably because he couldnt get it out. GM glue's those connectors in those NSBU switches. Ask any duramax owner that has had shifting/indicator issues how much fun they are to try and get unplugged

If you look at both diagrams the colors on both vehicles trans solenoids are the same, the only wire that looks like it is a different color is the ground(low Reference) for the trans fluid temp sensor. on the truck its Gray (Or Black) on the car its orange/black.
haha i shoulda read alittle more i would have seen that you already posted the same thing already. sorry bout that.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:56 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by flame
They don't glue them in that is the sealant in the connector that leaks into there when it get hot. Just use a heat gun and then pull it out. Otherwise you end up needing a new switch and connector when you break it.
The Truck tranny's use that "gear selector" switch mounted on the side of the trans to tell the truck PCM's what gear its in as well as display the proper gear on the indicator on the trucks instrument cluster. If you have the proper connectors with a decent amount of wires for the trans you can use the attached diagrams to cut off the 98 ls1 connectors and connect the wires to the truck trans from the 98 pcm. The reason he left that connector in the switch is probably because he couldnt get it out. GM basically glue's those connectors in those NSBU switches to seal them from corrosion/weather. Ask any duramax owner that has had shifting/indicator issues how much fun they are to try and get unplugged

Fixed it for you, I think he got what i was trying to say.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:53 AM
Staging Lane

Mine must have been really stuck because the junk yard cut the connector off my harness. Where can you find the new connector? I need the one that goes on the top plugin for a 99 4L60e but can't find where to get it. Sorry to hijack your thread.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:58 PM
Staging Lane

If its the top connector thats gray w/ 7 wires you can purchase it here!
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...ector%2BDORMAN

The Dorman brand one is $50.79
The ACDelco one is $74.89

Here is the link to Dormans site for that specific part
http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-30521-84756.aspx
Old 05-05-2010, 11:12 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1quickirocz
the trucks use the switch on the side of the trans for gear selection. the LS1 autos dont have that switch mounted on the trans. they use a switch mounted inside the car on the shifter so thats why you have no connectors on your 98 LS1 harness to fit those plugs.
okay, then how are all these ls1/rx7 guys doing auto swaps and not using the interior switch mounted on their shifters? I know for a fact they are not wiring those in. Also, i have the full 98 wiring diagram and PCM pinout printed out right here in front of me, there are no pinouts for anything related to that gear selector as pictured in my original post. Im just going to not even use it and treat it as if it were a 4l60E out of an F-body.

PS, yeah that plug was a hooker to remove, i had a slim flatblade to break up the portion that was fused together and the plug pulled out.

Quick Reply: 98 auto ls1 wiring harness on 03 5.3 auto swap complications on the trans