Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BBK Long tube headers

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 07:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default BBK Long tube headers

Do you guys think these are quality headers? Anyone have any problems with them? They are really the only ones I found that I can afford. Thanks

http://www.bbkperformance.com/produc...ch-y-pipe.html
Old 04-26-2010, 07:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been looking at these also. A lot of people are saying that the 2.5" Y-pipe will hender horsepower but on a typical street car with bolt on's only, I highly doubt you would see much difference. jmho.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Decent header, good price, wish they had cats in them!
Old 04-26-2010, 08:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TImmy_Jones
Decent header, good price, wish they had cats in them!
Im just going to use the cats that i have.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:25 PM
TECH Addict

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...id=182&catid=8

Or these with a 3" Y pipe
Old 04-26-2010, 08:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have em and love em they fit great and are a quality piece. The y pipe is smaller but if your catback is 3" then wat does it matter if each side of your y pipe is 3"? Idk my buddys car had a 3 inch y and i really couldnt tell any difference.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by redbird555
I have em and love em they fit great and are a quality piece. The y pipe is smaller but if your catback is 3" then wat does it matter if each side of your y pipe is 3"? Idk my buddys car had a 3 inch y and i really couldnt tell any difference.
Are they worth they price as far as sound and gains?

My guess would be roughly 20hp gain
Old 04-26-2010, 10:07 PM
On The Tree

i wanted to buy these but didnt because of the y pipe, probably a dumb excuse but they do look nice though
Old 04-26-2010, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

how bad would the chrome ones look vs the ceramic?
Old 04-26-2010, 11:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had planned on buying these, but I found a smoking deal locally on some pacesetters.

Honestly, on a mild street car with bolt ons the 2.5'' y pipe isn't going to affect anything. Plus it will probably provide better clearance. Someone on here was making some REALLY good numbers with these headers and bolt ons. I wouldn't hesitate to get them.

I would just get the chrome IMO. Every ceramic coated headers I have personally seen starts to crack pretty quickly and ends up rusting.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by AR15 guy
I had planned on buying these, but I found a smoking deal locally on some pacesetters.

Honestly, on a mild street car with bolt ons the 2.5'' y pipe isn't going to affect anything. Plus it will probably provide better clearance. Someone on here was making some REALLY good numbers with these headers and bolt ons. I wouldn't hesitate to get them.

I would just get the chrome IMO. Every ceramic coated headers I have personally seen starts to crack pretty quickly and ends up rusting.
Someone on here told me the chrome turns blue. Not sure if thats true..
Old 04-27-2010, 12:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea the chrome will turn some sort of different color. It looks kind of cool from what I have seen. Stainless also turns some crazy looking colors.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...cs-inside.html

I've had these for a while now. Look at the power I'm making with them. I'd highly recommend going ceramic coated over the chrome. It helps keep the underhood temps down and also keeps the finish of the headers the same. My coating hasn't cracked, or changed color one bit. They look as good as the day we put them on...

I've got the chrome ones on my mustang, and they are great as well, but they sort of turned an ugly color without the ceramic coating that the LT's on my trans am have...
Old 04-27-2010, 07:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeWS6
Are they worth they price as far as sound and gains?

My guess would be roughly 20hp gain
All headers dyno roughly the same and sound alike so its all about personal preference. I live in florida so the humidity is really the only rust factor I have to worry about and after several months my chrome headers look even better than my buddys pacesetters did that were ceramic coated and my car is a DD. The chrome will turn a blueish color like stainless around the heads but imo it looks badass lol. I'm happy with mine and would recommend them to anyone I looked at it this way if they make harley exhausts out of chrome its really not a big difference to make headers with them if I lived in a climate where it snowed and they used road salt id skip chrome and ceramic and go right for stainless
Old 04-27-2010, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have these on my car now, and the fitment for me was good. I dont know about the sound yet. Looking to get a e-cutout.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:35 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Somebody needs to tell BBK that 2001 called, and they want their ball flanges back.

Those headers aren't any cheaper than Pacesetters, and they have garbage ball flanges on them. Spend the extra $20 and get the Pacesetters with a real 3" ypipe.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Damian
Somebody needs to tell BBK that 2001 called, and they want their ball flanges back.

Those headers aren't any cheaper than Pacesetters, and they have garbage ball flanges on them. Spend the extra $20 and get the Pacesetters with a real 3" ypipe.
glad you think they are garbage. Any reason? Because from my standpoint they work just fine and are great...
Old 04-28-2010, 09:35 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
glad you think they are garbage. Any reason? Because from my standpoint they work just fine and are great...
I'm pretty sure I already answered this question in the previous post you quoted me on.

Ball flanges are garbage, and any quality longtube header won't have them. Do you see Kooks, AR, QTP, or any other high quality design using ball flanges? There's a reason for it. Pacesetters don't even use them. Back in the day, we were picking up 5-7rwhp on heads/cam cars cutting off the ball flanges on MACs.

Without the flanges, I'm sure it's a decent header. The "chrome" set looks appealing due to the price, but the coated set isn't any cheaper than Pacesetters.

Last edited by Damian; 04-28-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:37 PM
TECH Addict

I have them in the ceramic coat finish and im really happy with them, no cracking here either and they've been through rain, snow, hot and cold weather for over a year now. It is a 2.5" y pipe but i highly doubt your going to get a major hp difference with a 3" over BBK's y pipe. Unless your just 1 of those ppl concerned with hp numbers.

They also have the rear 02 bungs in the y pipe so you can add cats to it.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Damian
I'm pretty sure I already answered this question in the previous post you quoted me on.

Ball flanges are garbage, and any quality longtube header won't have them. Do you see Kooks, AR, QTP, or any other high quality design using ball flanges? There's a reason for it. Pacesetters don't even use them. Back in the day, we were picking up 5-7rwhp on heads/cam cars cutting off the ball flanges on MACs.

Without the flanges, I'm sure it's a decent header. The "chrome" set looks appealing due to the price, but the coated set isn't any cheaper than Pacesetters.
alright man...

But comparing these to MACS OR PACESETTERS really shows how much first hand experience you've had with the BBK's...

Originally Posted by Badguy7
They also have the rear 02 bungs in the y pipe so you can add cats to it.
That's for a wideband O2

Quick Reply: BBK Long tube headers