Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any problem with lengthening plug wires?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any problem with lengthening plug wires?

Just a random question im looking to get answered. I am mid-process of swapping in a turbo 5.3 into my 1989 Mustang. It is more of a racecar and I have removed the Heat & A/C. That being said, The cowl area in front of my windshield is now a large open box underneath a grille.

I have been contemplating placing my coil packs in this area and running new wires thru new holes cut in the firewall and to the motor, basically just to clean it up. Does anyone see any problem with lengthening the wires?

Im going for a look similar to this, although obviously alot more low budget, but the wires would look the same LOL

Old 04-27-2010, 04:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

lengthning them? or just buying longer wires? you will have no problem with longer wires. look at all the older cars/trucks with distributers in the middle of the engine front or back with 3 foot long wires....
Old 04-27-2010, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bww3588
lengthning them? or just buying longer wires? you will have no problem with longer wires. look at all the older cars/trucks with distributers in the middle of the engine front or back with 3 foot long wires....
I was going to get a longer set made up. not making the stock ones longer lol.

I know plenty of cars came like that. I just wanted to make sure the timing wouldnt change I guess. Like if the computer took a certain amount of delay into account. never really seen 5 ft wires like I think id need once mounted up inside
Old 04-27-2010, 05:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

even if it does (and it doesnt) the computer will compensate for that. it will look at O2 readings and decide if it needs more/less timing.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah there isn't enough resistance in most wires to even come close to making a difference in timing.