Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Installing oil catch can on a maggied LS2

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 11:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing oil catch can on a maggied LS2

Silly stupid question.

I have a maggie and LS2.

Got around to installing my funky custom corvette
catch can with a custom made bracket on the passenger side. It's a nice billet piece with a colour that's an exact match to infrared.

http://www.customcorvetteaccessories...lcatchcan.html

Trying to figure out how to route the maggie PCV hoses as it's different from the regular LS2 manifolds. Seems to be two hoses running into the throttle body plate on the driver side.

Closest description I've found is here, but it involves installing check valves inline.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...84&forum_id=86

Any pics or ideas how to route the pcv system with a single catch can?
Old 04-30-2010, 02:41 PM
On The Tree

No one's running one?
Old 04-30-2010, 02:47 PM
TECH Addict

Not yet. Had wanted too just haven't got around to it. If you find out anything let me know. I have an LS6 but it's setup like an LS2 with the 90 on it.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:05 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

solution?
Old 09-08-2010, 04:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was running one on my LS2 GTO (made myself a nice SS unit ) and it worked excellent. Mine was N/A though and I wondered if you need a check valve on a S/C'd application, so that you don't "blow" the oil back in?

I'm going to either reuse or make another for the V though, as it's amazing how much blowby you accumulate and that stuff just makes amess in the combustion chamber, so rather catch the bulk of it first.

One thing worthy to note...Be aware of the type of hose you use. Make sure it is vacuum rated, or else it wants to suck the hose closed; especially on bends and long steep declines (where vacuum can exceed 20").

edit - your link didn't work, but was thinking don't the magnuson manifolds keep the PCV system of the LS2 intact, so to speak? It's hard to explain, but do a google for how it looks. There is no valve, but it accomplishes it thru a series of chambers/baffles, iirc...As for your PCV air inlet on the passenger side, I just ran a nipple and a ricer filter and plugged off the nipple on the air intake tube (oem). The only thing is I'm not sure how the computer 'sees' this air in it's MAS calculation, since you are not using that little bit of air anymore in the system. I never noticed any ill effects, but if anything the car could run ever so slightly lean being there is a little more air than it thinks in the plenum. However, MAS typically have enough variability/adaptive to not be a concern. I would think.

Last edited by JNR_Design; 09-08-2010 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:39 PM
Launching!

double post
Old 09-08-2010, 04:41 PM
Launching!

found a solution here with pics http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139096, looks like it should work for us. i have an ls6 and the pcv hose wraps around to the snout on the psgr side, now just to determine the mounting location. the mike norris mount is nice but would require a ton of hose to run from the rear of the driver valve cover to the front of the psgr valve cover, driver side looks cramped though...

Last edited by wmskateteam; 09-08-2010 at 04:51 PM. Reason: fixed link
Old 09-08-2010, 04:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LS6's PCV system is slightly different than the LS2, fwiw...Not saying it is totally different in respect to attaching to the compressor housing, but IIRC, the LS6 used a PCV valve and the LS2 did not, so a check valve may not be needed on the 6 but possible on the 2? Don't know, asking out loud...I am thinking how a turbo fills the plenum with pressure though (if you were to setup a catchcan as a typical), but not sure how the maggie and where it takes the 'feed' (as in does it become pressurized there)
Old 09-08-2010, 05:50 PM
TECH Addict

The snout on the maggie is always under vacuum. Even though is behind the TB, its still in front of the rotors. On a turbo car, almost everything is after the turbo so it pressurizes the whole system requiring a check valve to keep from pressurizing the PCV system. The only thing pressurized on the maggie is the manifold after the rotors. Also, the V doesn't use a PCV valve, LS6 or 2. Alsoerer, you may need to run both valve covers into on can. On my 90mm snout there is one nipple to pull from both valve covers. Or you can setup two cans and then merge to one nipple. Either way you want.

Last edited by raven154; 09-08-2010 at 05:58 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That makes sense if the port's on the snout (pre-compression)...Perhaps I am thinking of the LS1 then as far as the PCV valve is concerned. Nice then none of us have to worry about changing the valve then.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:45 PM
Launching!

I've been running a 'catch-can' about two months. Mine is mounted on the left side. Our LS2 engines have no PCV valve. PCV is accomplished by way of baffling/porting.
You could run a catch-can on the right side as well. The reason I have not yet done that on the right bank is that I have checked the hose 4" to 5" down into it, and there is absolutely no oil residue.
I have modified the internal porting of the 'catch-can' I have and have already accumlated some oil. It is important that the intake and outlet are separated by some sort of medium, be it baffling or stainless steel mesh.
Oh, one other thing. The hose I use is 3/8" low pressure fuel line hose.
Attached Thumbnails Installing oil catch can on a maggied LS2-2010_0615-2_180509aa.jpg  
Old 09-08-2010, 11:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's cool...Your bends look pretty long radius so you may not have an issue using fuel line...On my GTO, I had fuel line and when I went down a long mountain pass-type road, the high constant vacuum basically molded the hose almost shut at the bend..it wasn't really tight, either. There was still flow, but it had been restricted. I replaced it wth a SS bent tube at that section and no more issues...Just a heads up to check from time to time...Emissions hose works well, but I think I'll use a Nylon (11) tube this time with some rubber ends.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:26 AM
Banned

Lashway has specific setups for FI:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/florida-m...n-special.html

Directions for Maggie:

And turbo or remote mount superchargers:

Built in checkvalves to prevent crankcase pressure.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:14 AM
Launching!

the mike norris can is billet and $105 shipped, looks like a nicer piece IMO, good to have options though

Quick Reply: Installing oil catch can on a maggied LS2