Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

t top to hard top conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 01:20 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default t top to hard top conversion

I have a 99 Firehawk with t tops I have seen in GMHTP cars that have been converted to hardtops. I was wondering if anyone knows of any shops that have experience doing this sort of thing, preferably in the north east. I bought a hard top from the junk yard for 175 bucks! It was cut off from below the sail panel and at the middle of the pillar in the front, so its complete. any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im not downin the idea but whats your reason for wanting to do this cause i have a hard top car and i kill myself everyday for not gettin a t-top car cause even with the windows down in the summer time its hot as hell in the car and i only run the A/C about once a week to blow out the system and thats it
The following users liked this post:
CayenneFormula98 (01-12-2021)
Old 04-28-2010, 07:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if i remember correctly a used hard top isnt gonna work cause all you need is the hard top shell that glues on. you will never get the shell off the used cut with out it breaking
Old 04-28-2010, 07:56 PM
TECH Regular

id like some info on this too. in 5 years ive had my ttops off maybe 5 times.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Only difference in them is the two frame rails from where the window meets the top, hard top is a permanent rail. You can cut those rails from the hardtop and weld them in. Then you will have to glue the hardtop shell on.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Not going to be a smart ***, but if I were going to do this I'd start my research on the Hardtop to T-top conversion. You can see exactly what components come off during that process. You will definitely need the hardtop shell, as well as the driver/passenger "rails" that run from the A-pillar to B-pillar. After that, it'd just be welding and filling in the gaps. Sounds like you have it planned out, hopefully you can find someone to do the work.

Good luck, I've never heard of this being done until this post.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:18 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My reasons for wanting the conversion done is because I do not like the Ttops on the car and I perfer the security and solid feel of a hard composite roof over my head. I never use the ttops but its difficult to find a car without them, so I did the next best thing and bought a complete roof. At a cost of $175 for the complete roof, even if the labor cost ten times the amount I would be willing to pay it. Would this be something that any reputable body shop can do, as if it were roof damage repair?
The following users liked this post:
Rat Raceway (12-28-2021)
Old 04-29-2010, 12:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blackhawk J
My reasons for wanting the conversion done is because I do not like the Ttops on the car and I perfer the security and solid feel of a hard composite roof over my head. I never use the ttops but its difficult to find a car without them, so I did the next best thing and bought a complete roof. At a cost of $175 for the complete roof, even if the labor cost ten times the amount I would be willing to pay it. Would this be something that any reputable body shop can do, as if it were roof damage repair?
not sure. Roof damage on these cars usually = totalled. There was a guy with a hard top WS6 formula that the previous owner put in a moonroof and he was converting it back to a solid roof. i don't know where the thread got to but maybe that would help you since he is basically going to have to remove the existing hard top, weld in a new t-bar because his existing one was cut out for the moonroof, and then put on a new top.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hang on.. Your roof wont be much stronger with a hard top rather than t-tops.

As for the security, if someone sees something they want in your car, chances are they'll get in eitherway. Whether its from the t-top OR window... It dont matter to them. If you dont have t-tops, they'll just break your window.

I honestly cant imagine the amount of work it would take to do this.. Let alone the cost of having someone else do it for you.

If you have a firehawk, it will kill the value of it. Its a collector car and a hard top is not supposed to be on your car from the factory either. Its not a simple and quick fix to convert BACK also.. And thats how other people will see it. You're better off selling the hawk and getting a hard top car IMHO... Or buying a hard top firebird and converting it into a firehawk clone.

You should have t-top shades too (or you can buy them).

T-tops are great... IDK why people dont like them...
Old 04-29-2010, 01:41 PM
TECH Regular

i dont understand why people make hondas fast but they do. to each their own. i personally like the sleek look of a hardtop camaro without the t-bar and the rubber molding sticking up everywhere.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Camaro_94
Hang on.. Your roof wont be much stronger with a hard top rather than t-tops.

As for the security, if someone sees something they want in your car, chances are they'll get in eitherway. Whether its from the t-top OR window... It dont matter to them. If you dont have t-tops, they'll just break your window.

I honestly cant imagine the amount of work it would take to do this.. Let alone the cost of having someone else do it for you.

If you have a firehawk, it will kill the value of it. Its a collector car and a hard top is not supposed to be on your car from the factory either. Its not a simple and quick fix to convert BACK also.. And thats how other people will see it. You're better off selling the hawk and getting a hard top car IMHO... Or buying a hard top firebird and converting it into a firehawk clone.

You should have t-top shades too (or you can buy them).

T-tops are great... IDK why people dont like them...
+1.... and t-top to hardtop is going to be a lot harder than hardtop to t-top.

Live with your t-tops or make a trade for hard top car.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if you can tac weld and know how to use body panel glue its easy. no one is gonna see under neath it so you can make the welds as ugly as you want

https://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-mem...version-2.html

Name:  DSC01358.jpg
Views: 10436
Size:  85.4 KB
Old 04-29-2010, 09:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

we have done Roof Replacements Before where i work its Really not that Difficult. if you have the whole roof just cut it at the a-pillars and the b pillars and weld the new ones on. And Make as many measurements as possible and check them a million times and then check them again. But you Need to Overlap the top with the bottom and not how you think Its hard to explain. but you would need to Drill out a few Spot welds and on the Car side and cut the outer structure off straight. then drill out the same amount on the roof side and cut the bottom structure out straight then overlap them weld the Spot welds up and the butt welds. then do the Same on the B Pillar. Its really not that diffficult but only if you know what your doing. then you really wotn have much body work to do on these cars. thats how i would do it.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blackhawk J
"the security" is kind of a funny reason. i've had a hardtop and a t-top and both have been broken into before, and both were broken into different ways. and both ways did not have anything to do with the t-top. in fact in the hardtop the window was pried backwards until the burglar could reach his hand down into the car and unlock it. in the t-top, if you look where the door hinge meets the door itself (where your hand goes when you pull it), there is a small triangular hole that connects the door hinge to the door. stick a screwdriver in there and pry upwards and you've just unlocked your car, and your alarm won't be going off.

bottom line is your t-tops pose absolutely no security risk whatsoever. these cars are simple as **** to get into.

but yeah, i'll second the fact that when i had a hardtop i kicked myself for not having t-tops. when i got t-tops, well, i love them. i've had the car 6 years and i rarely use them as much as i used to, but they are no hassle, and i surely love taking them off when i do feel like it.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tuffluck

but yeah, i'll second the fact that when i had a hardtop i kicked myself for not having t-tops. when i got t-tops, well, i love them. i've had the car 6 years and i rarely use them as much as i used to, but they are no hassle, and i surely love taking them off when i do feel like it.
there is a big difference if you park your car outside all the time. seems like you cant go 6 months without finding wet carpet somewhere
Old 04-30-2010, 12:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

All this talk of cutting and welding the entire roof is nonsense.

- Pry off your old roof skin.
- Remove all the hardware from the t-tops on the roof and bring it back to the metal frame.
- Travel to junk yard and remove the two side supports from a hardtop car.
- Weld the side supports into place.
- Purchase new hardtop roof skin through gmpartsdirect.com and glue it into place.
- Put in new headliner / hardtop weatherstripping.
- Pop a beer and enjoy your masterpiece....or bastard....depending on your outlook on the process.....
Old 04-30-2010, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
there is a big difference if you park your car outside all the time. seems like you cant go 6 months without finding wet carpet somewhere
man, i've never had that problem.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anybody want to sell me their Drivers Side T Top ?
Old 05-01-2010, 08:07 PM
Launching!

u do better selling the car becuz making it a hardtop doesnt make much sense the ttop carz look better anyway i cant stand convertible or hardtop camaros or firebirds if it doesnt have ttops i dont want it. i had a chance to buy a clean 2001 camaro SS for a cheap price but once i saw it was a hardtop that sale was cancled quickly

Last edited by teamfbody; 05-01-2010 at 08:22 PM.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by teamfbody
u do better selling the car becuz making it a hardtop doesnt make much sense the ttop carz look better anyway i cant stand convertible or hardtop camaos or firebirds if it doesnt have ttops i dont want it. i had a chance to buy a clean 2001 camaro SS for a cheap price but once i saw it was a hardtop that sale was cancled quickly
It's awesome you're dedicated to T-Tops and all, but they didn't make Trans Am hardtops from 1998 to 2002. It's easy enough to get a hardtop Formula and convert it to look like a Trans Am, but this guy already has a T/A and wants to make it a hardtop. I'm sure if you found him a hardtop Trans Am Firehawk he'd be more than happy to jump on it. Since it's an impossibility to find a factory one, let the guy make what he wants.

Quick Reply: t top to hard top conversion