General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Under headlight control - what is it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Under headlight control - what is it?

Can anyone tell me what this is/does?

Last edited by 96blackta; 11-21-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:41 PM
TECH Addict

Aftermarket switch...if it has 3 positions, it's probably for your radiator fans, as in off/low/high.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I should have mentioned it's a button. I can't figure out for the life of me what it does... there's a small blue wire running from the driver's side (I assume from this button) to the pcm, and it's spliced into a green wire. I have no idea why it's here.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I called up my buddy who sold me the car, and he said the old man who owned it before him installed the button for the skip shift. Huh? I guess it's a toggle? I started getting behind the dash and found that the wires going to it were cut... so it didn't actually do anything. I also found wires held together with pipe wrap, leading nowhere, and one even held together with a bandage. WTF?!
Old 04-30-2010, 11:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Mystery solved, and now my car hauls ***... this whole time we thought it was just lack of a tune. Not. I believe the button was a self-installed valet switch or something. A thin blue wire had been spliced into a green wire from the PCM, ran across the engine bay over to the driver's side, then went through a tiny hole in the firewall. The wire was then grounded underneath the dash. I ripped out all this wiring, shortened the blue wire by about five feet, and properly grounded it. Instant power. Gauges still didn't work, but then I found a broken ground near the back of the intake. Repaired that, now all of my gauges work and my car runs how it should.

All this, because I wanted to find out what this stupid button did I'm pretty stoked on it.