Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

I need to get this power to the ground?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 08:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default I need to get this power to the ground?

Which rear should I get? I was leaning to a 12 bolt cause it is lighter, but I would like to take it to the track occasionally. Also what else do I have to do to get all this power to the ground. Which whells suspension etc. Thanks Everything I have so far is stock. 10bolt wheels etc.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:15 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a good start.....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/eastern-m...ay-new-pb.html

As for the rear end, I like my 12 bolt. Do NOT get a Tru trac diff. You will get a hundred different opinions on what to buy, I suggest working with in your budget.

What transmission??
Old 04-29-2010, 08:17 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I would go with the Moser M9 rear, since it sounds like you don't have a torque arm yet and you're concerned about weight. The Moser M9 weighs the same as your 10 bolt, so you won't be adding any weight. It comes with an excellent torque arm and transmission crossmember. My Z28 shown in my avatar received the very first Moser f body M9 rear, we put it through hell and it never let us down. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 04-29-2010, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It is a M6 speed and was looking to get 3.73 gears cause it is a daily driver car. I dont want a heavy rear just something reliable to take to the track occasionally. I heard some good reports on 9 inches would like more opinions. Also need help with wheels and tires. Please help. This is a DD car thanks.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:49 AM
Internet Mechanic

Due to the 2.66 1st gear ratio and "Racing" you need something in the range of a 4.10. Which is fine for a DD.

I think for what has been said the m9 is overkill, if your worried about 12 bolt reliability you can just get a regular 9" set up. I personally if you were going 12 bolt would be.

Eaton Diff (Posi)
Most Splines you can for Axles (think its 33)
4.10's
Diff Cover
Stock Style studs OR if they offer a ARP upgrade, or do yourself. IF you go longer, you cannot use stock style lug nuts, they need to be open ended.

Just a FYI

As per Moser's description....

Adding extreme horsepower to your F-Body setup? Needing some strength for your torque arm so you don’t rip the rear end apart at launch? Now you have a choice, the new Moser M9 Torque Arm Assembly. Moser Engineering has developed the strongest torque arm assembly on the planet.

Made from 4130 chrome-moly material the new M9 Torque Arm Assembly is able to withstand what ever a high-horsepower racer can throw at it. Patterned after the same style setup used in today’s Pro Mod cars, the Moser M9 Torque Arm Assembly is not intended for the daily driver, but is manufactured with the 10 second cars and faster in mind.
The Torque Arm is constructed with 1.25” o.d. 4130 chrome-moly, all joints and connections, including the 4130 chrome-moly threaded tube adapters are TIG welded. The 1 ¾” x .095 chrome-moly tube cross member with integral torque arm mounting system further enhances the overall strength and integrity of the assembly. Better material, better production, better performance.

The Moser M9 Torque Arm Assembly utilizes a unique sliding front mount that allows the torque arm to slide enabling the torque arm to move freely and not bind, which would impair the overall handling of the car. The front slider tube has a grease fitting which allows proper lubrication.

The rear torque arm itself mounts proprietarily to the M9 Housing via 3/16” thick mounting plates with two ¾” – 16 NFT x 5/8” bore x 7/8” thick solid steel rod ends. The pinion angle adjuster, located between the bottom rear solid rod end and the bottom rear torque arm tube, makes not only finding the correct pinion angle simple, but enhances the overall unit strength. In fact, all it takes to adjust the pinion angle is turning the adjuster ring and the angle can be adjusted up to 6 degrees.

The entire M9 F-Body Torque Arm Assembly utilizes existing mounting points, totally eliminating welding or additional fabrication.

• Perfect Drag Racing Setup for 10 Second Cars and Faster!
• The Strongest Torque Arm Assembly Made!
• Adjustable Intersect Points on Transmission Cross Member
• Chrome-Moly Construction!
• TIG Welded Torque Arm and Cross Memeber for Superior Strength
• Includes Red or Black Powder Coating
Old 04-29-2010, 10:53 AM
Internet Mechanic

I would start posting some of these questions in the Drag Racing Forum as you will get more input.

The thing you will need to define and post is....

Budget
Expectations on ET
Race weight
And if the wheels/tires are track only or all the time.

All these varibles will change what most people would recommend.