Having a problem with my brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 10:46 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having a problem with my brakes

I posted this in the "suspension and brakes" section the other day, but didn't really get any answers.

Every now and then when I brake, the brake pedal gets REALLY stiff. So much that I can't press it, and the car pulls to the left like CRAZY! I then let off the pedal and reapply it, and everything is usually fine. My abs inop light is also on, and it only happens when that light comes on.

Are one of my brakes not working, or what does this sound like?
Old 04-29-2010, 10:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like your ABS module is bad.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:00 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by cambirdracing
Sounds like your ABS module is bad.
Does it matter if the "abs inop" light goes off after I start my car and drive it a few feet? Then at any given time during my trip, it comes back on.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:44 AM
On The Tree

That can be multiple things.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yeah the ABS sensor on your hub is bad, or the hub itself needs to be replaced. you can get the hub with the abs module for $90 at pepboys and it takes about half hour to swap out.

nearly every time the abs sensor goes bad its because the hub has leaked grease onto it.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When is the last time you changed your brakes?

If you did them recently or have in the past...did you apply the grease to the ''sliders'' on the caliper bracket?

It sounds like the left one is getting stuck or only going ''in'' and "out" to a certain point as where the other side is fully engaging and disengaging. I would look at those and make sure they go in all the way and all the way out. I would apply a generous amount of grease to them if not.

Good luck.

Last edited by BadCompany VP WS6; 04-29-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BadCompany VP WS6
When is the time you changed your brakes?

If you did them recently or have in the past...did you apply the grease to the ''sliders'' on the caliper bracket?

It sounds like the left one is getting stuck or only going ''in'' and out to a certain point as where the other is fully engaging and disengaging. I would look at those and make sure they go in all the way and all the way out. I would apply a generous amount to them if not.

Good luck.
Best answer so far.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Same **** happened to me and that was the fix. Had to take a BFH to the slider and pound the **** outa it. It started to turn so I took a vice and PB blaster and slowly worked it (spun it) till it came out.

Once the grease is applied push it in and out while turning it at the same time to ''smooth'' out any rough spots and to ensure it doesn't get hung up on any more material.

It doesn't really sound like the ABS module.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When is the time you changed your brakes?

It sounds like the left one is getting stuck or only going ''in'' and out to a certain point as where the other is fully engaging and disengaging. I would look at those and make sure they go in all the way and all the way out. I would apply a generous amount to them if not.

Good luck.
I would say jack up the front and free spin the wheel to see. Only way to really find out.

I had sticking slider pins on my left front caliper, so bad that I had to heat up the caliper bracket to get the pins out. Fix I did was all new rotors, new slider pins, synthetic grease, and new bads. No more issues.

Bad Company does have a point.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by redz_02
I would say jack up the front and free spin the wheel to see. Only way to really find out.

I had sticking slider pins on my left front caliper, so bad that I had to heat up the caliper bracket to get the pins out. Fix I did was all new rotors, new slider pins, synthetic grease, and new bads. No more issues.

Bad Company does have a point.
I don't believe spinning the wheel will solve anything. The slider is stuck to the point where the brake pad is the ''thickest'', so it will only go in and out that far but still able to be spun freely.

Take the whole piece apart and inspect.

Do it right, once.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't believe spinning the wheel will solve anything. The slider is stuck to the point where the brake pad is the ''thickest'', so it will only go in and out that far but still able to be spun freely.

Take the whole piece apart and inspect.

Do it right, once.
He's going to have to jack the front up anyways.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol I understand that. I was just implying spinning it really won't tell him much if the slider is in fact the culprit.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:43 PM
On The Tree

He can just pull the caliper off and see if the slide pin is greased.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol I understand that. I was just implying spinning it really won't tell him much if the slider is in fact the culprit.
, then again you are probably better off doing a full inspection as bad stated.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:00 PM
9 Second Club

Damn, thanks for the replies guys. I actually had a member on here do an entire brake job, i.e. new rotors and pads about 4 or so months ago. I don't remember using any grease at all when we replaced everything. Think pepboys could look at it with their free brake check and tell me what's up?
Old 04-29-2010, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Slash8915
Damn, thanks for the replies guys. I actually had a member on here do an entire brake job, i.e. new rotors and pads about 4 or so months ago. I don't remember using any grease at all when we replaced everything. Think pepboys could look at it with their free brake check and tell me what's up?
I would do this, today.

Grease is cheap.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:49 PM
9 Second Club

I would do this, today.

Grease is cheap.
Now the only problem is that I have NO idea what happened to my wheel lock key. Lol.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

my apologies, when it was the abs sensor i had the opposite problem. the car would pull hard to the side, but when the abs inop light came on it would go away.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Slash8915
I always cleaned/replaced the old slider pins. They are cheap and you can find them anywhere.

Grease wise, I greased the slider pins, and the areas that had contact with the placement brakets. Have had no sqeaks/noises in 6 months and I drive my SS just as much as my Z71.