Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

driving to cali soon, what precautions should i take?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 11:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default driving to cali soon, what precautions should i take?

So im taking my gf to cali soon, and can only take the vette...registered in az, lt's, orx, front drl blackouts, rear taillight blackouts, limo tint. We dont have a front liscense plate law here, and no one cares about tint because of the sun.

i almost want to cancel the trip. I dont have the extra money for a rental car, and im paranoid of just being pulled over for no reason, and the cop getting me for everything i have done to the car, or even trying to enforce the front plate law there when it's not required here. Now that I hear about mobile smog tests, i get paranoid they'll just take my car for being illegally modified and crushing it or impouding it or some outlandish punishment.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LWCS561
So im taking my gf to cali soon, and can only take the vette...registered in az, lt's, orx, front drl blackouts, rear taillight blackouts, limo tint. We dont have a front liscense plate law here, and no one cares about tint because of the sun.

i almost want to cancel the trip. I dont have the extra money for a rental car, and im paranoid of just being pulled over for no reason, and the cop getting me for everything i have done to the car, or even trying to enforce the front plate law there when it's not required here. Now that I hear about mobile smog tests, i get paranoid they'll just take my car for being illegally modified and crushing it or impouding it or some outlandish punishment.
Don't worry about the mods, just drive with your window's down and you should be good. Some dick might pull you over and tell you your car is loud and you have no front plate. Just tell him it's stock and your car didn't come with a plate (usually works for me). As long as you drive normally, I doubt you'll have any issues.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:54 AM
Staging Lane

Just don't drive stupid and they won't bother you. Still the majority of Vette owners are 40+ and there not after them. My car is modded beyond belief and I have no problems.

Reid
Old 04-29-2010, 12:29 PM
Teching In

I drove from Vegas to Anaheim last weekend with no front lp, dark tint and just long tubes and Y pipe, I didn't get bothered at all, went about 75- 80 the whole time. just cruise and no one will bother you
Old 04-29-2010, 12:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool

my ride looks like a track only car, and its loud, never been stopped. fully mod'ed......with cage.......
Old 04-29-2010, 07:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like was said, there are plenty of people that LIVE here with the same mods. Just dont drive like a dick, and you should be just fine. In the 6 years ive live in this city, with loud Trans Ams, weve gotten one ticket for no plate. My wife got pulled over for speeding, in her lopey *** WS.6 (cam/LTs/Hi Flows/LM1) car, and she just got ticketed for speeding.. I got pulled for expired registration with my cammed LTs/ORY/Bullet catback, 4k stall WS.6 a few times, and didnt get ticketed for anything.. Even with an N2O bottle between my back seats. LOL
Old 04-29-2010, 08:16 PM
Staging Lane

Same story here, have been pulled over for many different moving violations and never been cited for front plate / tinted windows. Most a cop has said is something like, you need to get those windows taken care of, after he gave me a speeding ticket.

Even got a parking ticket a couple weeks ago for overnight parking, when the cop could have written me up for a more expensive front plate missing ticket.

Smog law bs shouldn't apply to out of state vehicles right? That's why peeps register them out of state if they can. Maybe it's the same with all the laws?

Be careful on the freeways tho, seems the CHP is out in force looking for speeders in this broke *** state.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:03 AM
On The Tree

Don't worry at all, even if a cop stops you for tinted windows just say your from out of state and they'll probably just let you go. Just like everyone says don't drive like a maniac and you should be fine.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:41 PM
On The Tree

Yeah man. Don't sweat it. And the mobile smog checks? I don't think that's being implemented at the moment. At least, they are not citing or pulling people over for it.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:01 PM
Launching!

Don't double park.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't speed, don't worry about your tints, and cops here mostly mess with imports. Cops have just looked at me and gave me thumbs up even with my tints. Lol
Old 04-30-2010, 03:51 PM
TECH Junkie

You should be fine man...don't trip so hard
Old 04-30-2010, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

make sure you have your documentation for the way back to AZ! ha
Old 04-30-2010, 05:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ssbowtie1
Don't double park.
+1
AND
park in the white gated communities
Old 04-30-2010, 06:58 PM
TECH Addict

Bring a passport, social security card, birth certificate, two forms of photo I.D. and a signed letter from our governor granting you safe passage through the state.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pretty much what everyone said is true. Drive like a normal human and they'll leave you alone. Yes, they NORMALLY pull over imports so you should be good to go
Old 05-01-2010, 08:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

lol i love the documentation stuff. I wouldnt be surprised. Aight, sounds good. If the weather's good I'll ride with the windows down, other than that, slow lane and speed limit. The drive out there is rather boring tho from az. I did it once before to alameda and its alot of...well...nothing, until you get into the hilly parts of cali.

Quick Reply: driving to cali soon, what precautions should i take?