View Full Version : What rear end now.........

Snake_Skinner
04-30-2010, 04:53 AM
Stock 10 bolt broke :bang: so what rear end is best for me. car's a M6, DD, eventually car will be H/C/I nitrous thinking right around 525+hp, want lightweight but bulletproof of course, will hardly ever see the track but street race all day every day, lots of roll racing and i'll dig it out to whenever if someone prefers. So What rears are you all running and loving, and what would you all have done differently if you had the chance. Thx. also whats the difference/benefits/cons to posi, spool, and lockers and which best for me

fleetmgr
04-30-2010, 07:27 AM
9" or S-60. Spools on the street are generally bad news. A spool will kill your rear tires in really short order, because they don't let the tires turn at different speeds when you go around a corner. The locker is more positive than posi, but noisy.

Low N Slow
04-30-2010, 11:53 AM
If you want lightweight the S60 is not for you. Talk to Eric at Midwest Chassis, he will educate you on your choices and can build you one of his 9" that can be lighter than the 10 bolt and strong enough to handle anything you can throw at it.
I went with his rear end with a Tracklok posi because I drive it mainly on the street, he said it would hold up on my full weight car on ET streets on the track. I put down 402HP NA and will be hitting it with a 150 shot at the track.

sslateron
04-30-2010, 12:45 PM
How much is it to replace a rear end, including gears. :confused:

davidws6
04-30-2010, 01:56 PM
S60 here and 560rwhp. Installed fine and no issues !

sslateron
04-30-2010, 02:11 PM
wht is s60?

conde'strans
04-30-2010, 02:24 PM
wht is s60?

It is the strongest and heaviest rearend out there it's called the Strange Dana S60. I would recommend this for your car since it's an M6 and takes a beating with hard shifting and sh*t! :D Since you do mostly street racing definitely do not get a spool or you'll be going through rear tires like crazy! My S60 has a Trutrac posi and has given me no trouble yet and I've put it through hard launches at the track only! Only thing with the S60 is that your stock driveshaft won't work so you'll have to buy a shorter one for it. The Midwest Chassis fabbed 9" rearend would definitely be the next best thing for you.

BlackZLS1
04-30-2010, 05:34 PM
It is the strongest and heaviest rearend out there it's called the Strange Dana S60. I would recommend this for your car since it's an M6 and takes a beating with hard shifting and sh*t! :D Since you do mostly street racing definitely do not get a spool or you'll be going through rear tires like crazy! My S60 has a Trutrac posi and has given me no trouble yet and I've put it through hard launches at the track only! Only thing with the S60 is that your stock driveshaft won't work so you'll have to buy a shorter one for it. The Midwest Chassis fabbed 9" rearend would definitely be the next best thing for you.

^^^what he said....

sslateron
04-30-2010, 05:52 PM
How's the moser 9?

Bob@BruteSpeed
05-01-2010, 01:30 PM
How's the moser 9?

The Moser 9 inch and Moser M9 (same weight as 10 bolt) are very strong rears, that have powered many f body's into the eights in the quarter. I had a Moser M9 in my Camaro that is shown in my avatar. Bob

Snake_Skinner
05-19-2010, 05:14 PM
S60 here and 560rwhp. Installed fine and no issues !

are you running DR's with it and drive it like you stole it? thx for chiming in btw

how much heavier is the s60 vs moser9"? and are you launching on dr's? and isnt a MWC 9'' lighter than all three correct? thx also for the good knowledge

conde'strans
05-19-2010, 06:37 PM
are you running DR's with it and drive it like you stole it? thx for chiming in btw

how much heavier is the s60 vs moser9"? and are you launching on dr's? and isnt a MWC 9'' lighter than all three correct? thx also for the good knowledge

Not sure exactly how much heavier but it can't be much! I'd rather sacrifice a bit more weight and have a bulletproof rearend though. :nod: I'm launching mine on Mickey dr's. I remember seeing a thread before with all the weights.

05-19-2010, 07:58 PM
What kind of money you willing to spend on the rear?

corvet786c
05-19-2010, 08:09 PM
The Moser 9 inch and Moser M9 (same weight as 10 bolt) are very strong rears, that have powered many f body's into the eights in the quarter. I had a Moser M9 in my Camaro that is shown in my avatar. Bob

There was an article about a year ago on both s60 and moser 9 the s60 weight something like 225 lbs and moser 9 inch weight something like 200 lbs. The stock 10 bolt weighed 150 lbs. How does the moser 9 weight 150 lbs?

Snake_Skinner
05-19-2010, 10:09 PM
What kind of money you willing to spend on the rear?

think im just going to jus rebuild my stock 10 bolt for now and then wanna spend no more than 2500 on a custom MWC fab 9" with driveshaft loop. is it possible? and should i beef up my stock 10 bolt with like a HD eaton posi or jus buy used parts to rebuild?

There was an article about a year ago on both s60 and moser 9 the s60 weight something like 225 lbs and moser 9 inch weight something like 200 lbs. The stock 10 bolt weighed 150 lbs. How does the moser 9 weight 150 lbs?

What he said^? im confused...

armyboyatc
05-20-2010, 05:41 AM
I have a 99 SS M^6 with the same mods you have and I bought the Mosier 9" rearend for my car. I had a 10 bolt and it broke after I let my gf drive it. LOL oops. I then put 4.56 gears in the 10 bolt and broke it again 2 weeks later, after that I bought the 9" and I have had no problems with it. Im gonna put 4.56 gears in it soon. I had 3.90 gears put in it thinkin it would help it out on the nitrous but the more I read all the faster cars with M6 have 4.11 or better. I was at about 2600 rpms at 70 with the 4.56s i had in the 10 bolt. I love the rearend. Well worth the money.

MidwestChassis
05-20-2010, 11:19 AM
We can get our fabricated nine inch down to similar weight of a stock ten bolt with the options we have available. It should be as strong as any other rear end out there. If you are interested in a quote please send me a PM and I can walk you though rear end options. One of the nice features of our rear end is it comes with a torque arm of your choice and a cross member of your choice as well to fit your needs.

We can get you into an alternative rear end if needed as well, we are a direct dealer with most major companies.

alamantia
05-20-2010, 11:52 AM
Sorry for the hijack but I was contenplating an S60 but did not realize you could not reuse the stock drive shaft, thats good info. Where would one purchase a driveshaft for the S60? Does Strange offer?

MidwestChassis
05-20-2010, 12:26 PM
Sorry for the hijack but I was contenplating an S60 but did not realize you could not reuse the stock drive shaft, thats good info. Where would one purchase a driveshaft for the S60? Does Strange offer?

Yes you can do a Strange Drive shaft or we could get you into a PST drive shaft as well. PM me if you want a quote.

Snake_Skinner
05-20-2010, 05:05 PM
I have a 99 SS M^6 with the same mods you have and I bought the Mosier 9" rearend for my car. I had a 10 bolt and it broke after I let my gf drive it. LOL oops. I then put 4.56 gears in the 10 bolt and broke it again 2 weeks later, after that I bought the 9" and I have had no problems with it. Im gonna put 4.56 gears in it soon. I had 3.90 gears put in it thinkin it would help it out on the nitrous but the more I read all the faster cars with M6 have 4.11 or better. I was at about 2600 rpms at 70 with the 4.56s i had in the 10 bolt. I love the rearend. Well worth the money.

what you spend total on ur moser 9" and why the fuck did you let ur gf drive! LOL!!!! do you mostly drag race or street/roll race also?

We can get our fabricated nine inch down to similar weight of a stock ten bolt with the options we have available. It should be as strong as any other rear end out there. If you are interested in a quote please send me a PM and I can walk you though rear end options. One of the nice features of our rear end is it comes with a torque arm of your choice and a cross member of your choice as well to fit your needs.

We can get you into an alternative rear end if needed as well, we are a direct dealer with most major companies.

pm sent