Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Help- First time changing out rear!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 01:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help- First time changing out rear!

Does anybody have a install writeup on how to install a 10 bolt? I bought a 10bolt out of a M6 trans am and I wanna swap them out but have never swapped rear ends on these cars...How long does it take and what all do I need to do to the new rear?
Old 04-30-2010, 01:38 PM
TECH Resident

I've done 2, on trucks, but I can't imagine it's much different.

You will most likely need two ppl, as it's heavy!

1.) Lift up car and support rear
2.) Disconnect Suspension and brake lines
3.) Disconnect drive shaft.
4.) Lower rearend out
5.) Lift new rear into place
6.) Bolt on driveshaft, suspension, and brake lines
7.) Bleed Brakes

While the 'new' rear is out, I would also advice a fluid change and look at the diff for wear.

2 ppl in a driveway/garage with jackstands and non power tools should honestly take about 3 hours depending on your pace and mechanical skills. Not too hard of a job.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:40 PM
TECH Resident

For the suspension, dissconnect only one end; so, the shocks from the rear, the lower control arms from the rear, the panhard bar from the driver side, and the springs will just pop out with the car lifted high enough.

Good time to upgrade shocks or springs while at it.

If wanting to keep the stock springs, you can do the free lowering 'hose mod' while the springs are out.

I'm a big cleaner...meaning when everything is out, I clean it up well. so every job takes me a while.

If you already have adjustable suspension, don't adjust anything when taking out the rear. This will help ensure the same pinion angle as well as thrust angles as before. If you have stock pieces, then nothing to worry about.

The M6 rear should be 3.42 gear, so your speedometer might be off after the install.

Good luck!

Last edited by 01 ss vert; 04-30-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always pull the axles and unbolt the brakes. That way you don't have to bleed the brakes and can do it by yourself.