Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Why do F-bodies get totaled so easily?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 04:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do F-bodies get totaled so easily?

I was in an accident exactly a month ago. Had my car back from the shop for a week or two now. I was scared this accident would have totaled out the car, keep in mind it is a '98 V6 Firebird with 144k.

I see T/A's getting parted out in the classifieds that don't look nearly as bad but the poster says the car got totaled out. Numerous times. Even Camaros I have seen, one hit a guard rail at 10 mph... totaled? Why?

My damage was limited to the hood, bumper, crash pad underneath it, and the drivers side headlight. Fenders were fine. New hood, bumper, crash pad, headlight assembly, and repaint/blend fenders. Still didn't total the car out though it was close I believe. I got lucky. I love my car too much to have to part it out or get rid of it.

Share you thoughts and / or pictures.

I only have one pic from today of my car since I have had it back, I was replacing the HID's in it with 6k instead of the 10k I had in them. Too blue.
Attached Thumbnails Why do F-bodies get totaled so easily?-photo0411copy.jpg   Why do F-bodies get totaled so easily?-photo0413copy.jpg   Why do F-bodies get totaled so easily?-photo0415copy.jpg   Why do F-bodies get totaled so easily?-photo0437copy.jpg   Why do F-bodies get totaled so easily?-photo0438copy.jpg  

Old 04-30-2010, 05:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

they're old... not worth the money to fix.

im just guessing though
Old 04-30-2010, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That and parts are still pretty expensive. Especially since most body shops will order factory body parts over aftermarket ones.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:14 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Exactly. If a car is only worth 3 or 4K, it will be totalled at 2200-3300 in damage. Same with a V8 car, if it's only worth 6, it gets totalled out at 4500 or so.

It doesn't mean the car isn't fixable, it just means it's easier to write it off and pay the book value.

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
they're old... not worth the money to fix.

im just guessing though
Old 04-30-2010, 09:43 PM
Staging Lane

Ya insurance told me 85% of the value is what they can do, then it gets totaled. My repair came out to $3,200 or so. They valued my car at $4,650. I thought blue book for my car was $1800 but I'm glad they looked at it. I had them come to the house and inspect it rather than a body shop saying "we think this and this and this need to be replaced".

They repaired my stuff with all OEM. I was going to try to work a ws9/raptor hood into the deal but they couldn't and I also didn't want to wait for them to get the right hood with the right fitment, I just wanted the car back like before it was in the accident.

Do they really only value most T/A's at 6k? I should buy one...
Old 04-30-2010, 09:45 PM
TECH Regular

it all depends on the insurance company i have seen companys pay 100% of value
Old 04-30-2010, 11:56 PM
Launching!

my friendz go 2 the auction all the time i see T/A's & Camaro's with little body damage totalled out if we can get em 4 a cheap enough price we buy em v6 or v8 dont matter any 93-02 Camaro,Firebird,or T/A sells easy in N.O.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:00 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Black02SLPSS
That and parts are still pretty expensive. Especially since most body shops will order factory body parts over aftermarket ones.
U're right those Original T/A & Camaro GM parts are still pretty expensive things like the front bumper cover for the 98-02 T/A cant be purchased aftermarket u do better trying to buy used parts LoL!
Old 05-01-2010, 12:15 AM
TECH Regular

Allstate didn't total my t/a and it was 5300 in repairs girl(t-boned) hit my passenger quarter panel going like 30-40 threw my car across 2 lanes(my fault, made a left turn across 2 lanes and a truck was blocking my sight first accident in the 5 years I've been driving) bent the axel and everything
Old 05-23-2010, 11:31 AM
Teching In

mine totaled 2 years ago then car was worth 11000 (its now worth 8900) when you price the parts the ram air hood alone is worth 1000 fenders 450 (900 for both) you see it doesnt take long for the bill to rack up, and total doesn't mean the car is un fixable it just means (car value)< (bill) im fixing mine so it doesnt cost for labor but it will cost me some money out of my wallet
Old 05-26-2010, 03:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Don't let your insurance company push you around. My mom's car got hit once. Some front fender damage and a little hood damage. The insurance company wanted to total it (cost of parts and labor). Long story short...I told her to tell her agent that she can get all the parts necessary on ebay for less than half what the insurance company was quoting her. Her agent gave her (us) props for taking the initiative of doing some of the footwork. And in the end, she got the repairs done AND with a clean title.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

i got hit in my 98 Z28 coming home from school stopped at a light and the kid behind me was to busy grabbing some boob while driving and smashed into me at 40 mph and i was at a dead stop. He was 15 in his brothers truck and he did not have a permit at all it caved in my entire back end to the rear seat he smashed my gas tank to breaking it and spilling all over the road. the police were surprised it did not catch fire and i walked away with some whip-lash pain no cuts or bruises. it was 98 auto silver not a scratch on the paint and only 54000 on it the only problem with it was a ripped front driver seat on the middle back part. I complained to the insurance company about how nice of a car it was and how there client ruined it i only payed $6000 for it i got $9500 out of the insurance company plus three months payed at a chiropractor and he had a masseuse in his office that i went to both of them weekly. so don't let the insurance company punk you on anything!

here's a pic the week after i got my 98 Z28
Old 05-27-2010, 10:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by teamfbody
my friendz go 2 the auction all the time i see T/A's & Camaro's with little body damage totalled out if we can get em 4 a cheap enough price we buy em v6 or v8 dont matter any 93-02 Camaro,Firebird,or T/A sells easy in N.O.
they are easily stolen there too apparently.

The main reason i now carry $10k agreed value collectors insurance on my car is because i don't want some stupid 10mph fender bender totalling my car out. At least now i know it will be fixed or if it really is totalled, i'll actually get enough to replace it with a comperable car. I would have to travel south to find a car as clean as mine up here in indiana since mine came from Hawaii and Florida.

Quick Reply: Why do F-bodies get totaled so easily?