Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I add cats? Exhaust video, need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 07:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Should I add cats? Exhaust video, need advice.

My setup right now is longtubes, custom ORY, a short powerstick then dumped under the car.

Once it's warmed up I really like the tone, however cold starts are a little too much now.
Sounds quite raspy when cold started and I'm sure the neighbors won't appreciate it too much once my schedule changes to morning commutes.
Plus they probably don't like when it sets off their car alarms...

I really want to add some high flow cats, I think that will give me the tone I'm looking for plus tone the noise and minimal rasp down.

Any info would be much appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmn9pYdoWd4

Yes, I got a little carried away on the video.
In my defense, I just got a new camera and software and wanted to ***** it out a bit .

Thanks.
-Matt
Old 05-02-2010, 08:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

its not to bad. id just drive away slowly in the morning. cats will quiet it down.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha, you like that beer chant/hardcore?? Damn bro, you need some real death metal.

I personally like the exhaust, cats would quiet it down...I know what you mean about wanting it louder between 10AM and 9PM...I get up for work and leave at 6am, car is kinda loud.

I say add cats! Less smell, enviro friendly, lose 1 or 2 HP, sounds deeper, and chicks dig cars that dont stink.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
its not to bad. id just drive away slowly in the morning. cats will quiet it down.
Well that's the thing, I ROLL out of the parking lot.
In the video it's completely warmed up.
Cold is actually stupid loud.
When warmed up like in the vid, it's too quiet haha.

And that video was shot in front of my parents house.
They're out in the country so people don't give a ****.
However in my complex, it reverberates like a mother ****** due to the buildings and structure.

Originally Posted by TImmy_Jones
Haha, you like that beer chant/hardcore?? Damn bro, you need some real death metal.

I personally like the exhaust, cats would quiet it down...I know what you mean about wanting it louder between 10AM and 9PM...I get up for work and leave at 6am, car is kinda loud.

I say add cats! Less smell, enviro friendly, lose 1 or 2 HP, sounds deeper, and chicks dig cars that dont stink.
We all need a little brocore from time to time .
Trust me, I've got plenty of grind **** to hold my own.

That's what I'm thinking, I know it would sound deeper.
And maybe my wife will want to blow me more when riding in it if it didn't start to smell like **** after sitting at a light. Oh well, the car's there to get me wet, not her.

-Matt
Old 05-03-2010, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Less brocore and some cats....they both net more puss. Sick car though, I really like the tone now.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:56 PM
TECH Regular

Bump.

Anyone?
Old 05-10-2010, 10:04 PM
Launching!

dude i have a pewter ss with similair setup to your car, LT headers and custom true duals with short powerstick on each dual and im an emt so i have crazy hours and go to work at 330AM and i still wont put cats on lol
Old 05-16-2010, 08:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mastercoryd
dude i have a pewter ss with similair setup to your car, LT headers and custom true duals with short powerstick on each dual and im an emt so i have crazy hours and go to work at 330AM and i still wont put cats on lol
Holy ****, your neighbors must want to skull **** you.

Anyone have a close setup with cats?
Old 05-17-2010, 10:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

I say add cats... I have high flow cats on my Kooks LT/Borla system (wide open plate) and it's still ridiculously loud but it cuts a lot of the rasp out in lower RPMs. Though if I want to be obnoxious there's a certain RPM/throttle combo I do to make it sound real nasty haha. I don't know how much power I would have made with an ORY, but I'm making 360 rwhp and 375 ft lbs with just bolt ons. It is whisper quiet when I want it to be though...if I barely give it enough throttle to move and just shift at like 2 grand it's pretty silent. That's hard to do for me though lol. Here are a few vids...ignore the shitty driving it was when I first got the car and was still learning how to drive stick lol. Camera quality sucks too

At the track...skip to like 50 seconds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-hRPQiY3rY

This is in car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3O3Rvexfes

Dyno...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_vTT0M0_LU

Cold start is still really ******* loud though...but I think that's mostly because of the open plate Borla

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl0WIKiybs0
Old 05-17-2010, 10:55 AM
TECH Resident

Doesnt matter how it sounds. SPend the money on new wheels and lower that offroad camaro.

Besides that I would get High flow cats if it is too loud. They will definitely mellow the cold start bang and idle but at WOT they will still make tons of noise.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:07 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ncfastls1
I say add cats... I have high flow cats on my Kooks LT/Borla system (wide open plate) and it's still ridiculously loud but it cuts a lot of the rasp out in lower RPMs. Though if I want to be obnoxious there's a certain RPM/throttle combo I do to make it sound real nasty haha. I don't know how much power I would have made with an ORY, but I'm making 360 rwhp and 375 ft lbs with just bolt ons. It is whisper quiet when I want it to be though...if I barely give it enough throttle to move and just shift at like 2 grand it's pretty silent.
I like the sound yours is putting out.
What cats exactly?

Originally Posted by Nastyc4
Doesnt matter how it sounds. SPend the money on new wheels and lower that offroad camaro.

Besides that I would get High flow cats if it is too loud. They will definitely mellow the cold start bang and idle but at WOT they will still make tons of noise.
Money is tight on my wifes salary since I'm trying to get in school.
Hence needing to quiet this shitbox down.

Big 'n littles will be going on the car when it's more of a priority and will be driven less.
Plus I'm going big tire in the back with the right gears so I'm not going to be dropping it at all.
It kills me the way it sits right now though .

-Matt