Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3''true dual questions/help

Old 05-02-2010, 10:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3''true dual questions/help

alright my brother just bought an 01 z28 with true duals. this setup is pacesetter Lt's NO cats OR h/x pipe and lots of 3'' straightpiping into i believe spintech pro's and exits out the rear. the car lacks power and seems slower than my lt1. at WOT the exhaust pops like a truck with straightpipe. will an h/x pipe and cats help with backpressure problems? should he just dump the exhaust after the muffler? any information would be great..thanks
Old 05-03-2010, 03:22 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could be wrong, but true duals are connected (the H or X you mention him not having).

Not saying it's the right thing to do, but alot of people like the "X".

I had a good "X" setup without cats previously and loved it! ! ! Would still have it if my body mount TA would have allowed for it.
Dumping what he's got would result in a whole lot more noise, but nothing for power.
Good luck
Old 05-03-2010, 06:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

I recently bought an 02 SS with a similar exhaust set up...I personally, would lend the poor running issues to the tune (or just the car itself). My car seems to do fine with that setup. I would cover your bases by having the car scanned and do a few logs with HP tuners to see if eveything is spot on with the tune, check plugs, clean air filter etc. If the exhaust doesnt' have an x pipe add one...it should help some with the noise and somewhat with power.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:55 AM
10 Second Club

it's not the exhaust.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by BADD SS
it's not the exhaust.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:24 PM
Staging Lane

duffster, i know true duals connect thats why i was asking if thats the problem was with him not having the H/X pipe. so it seems he would want to get an x pipe, any suggestions on what brand would be best ?

as far as tuning goes i'm not a mechanic or anything. but the kid said the car was tuned and then he put a chip in it. i think that sounds like a bad ideal or cause of loss in power. but thats why i'm asking you guys that have experience with ls cars. we figured it had something to do with the exhaust though thats why i posted about that.

thanks for the info everyone
Old 05-03-2010, 06:16 PM
11 Second Club

Didn't know you could 'chip' the 01's or the LS Camaros for that matter... Tune, sure.

Brand? Nope, just try for one thats mandrel bent... welded pieces of mandrel bent should be fine...
Old 05-03-2010, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pewter_z28
duffster, i know true duals connect thats why i was asking if thats the problem was with him not having the H/X pipe. so it seems he would want to get an x pipe, any suggestions on what brand would be best ?

as far as tuning goes i'm not a mechanic or anything. but the kid said the car was tuned and then he put a chip in it. i think that sounds like a bad ideal or cause of loss in power. but thats why i'm asking you guys that have experience with ls cars. we figured it had something to do with the exhaust though thats why i posted about that.

thanks for the info everyone

There is no "chip" for an LS1 Camaro. You've been had if the guy is claiming that. I'd do the basics, fuel filer, air filter, plus, wires, Fluids. If its still not right see if someone can get some Data logs. It may be fine though.. If its got a 2.73 gear and is an A4 it will feel dog slow out of the hole especially coming from the more torquey LT1.

Assuming there is not obvious exhaust problem, like a header leak or other hole before the O2 sensors I doubt it will be the exhaust causing any problems. I ran my car, stock heads and cam car, with just bullet muflers clamped to 1 7/8" headers. There was never a loss of power.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:00 AM
TECH Addict

Jet makes a chip for LS1's but from what Ive read it doesn't do a whole lot. If he put the chip after a tune it might be hurting something as those were meant for stock CPU cars. I would do the tune up and see if that helps.
Another important thing to remember is that to many people LS1's FEEL slower then LT1's b/c LT1's have a little more low end torque and the LS1's power band is more evenly spread out, so it doesn't feel as fast in reality its ALOT quicker if you were to line them up at the track.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:56 PM
Staging Lane

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Y...amaro+jet+chip

they make chips for any computer controlled vehicle as far as i know. no arguments necessary though just showing they do make chips for ls1 camaro/ firebirds.

the car is a4 with 2.73's as well as his 02 z28 but when the 02 was stock was noticably faster than my lt1 no questions/doubts about it. this is why we're wondering wtf is up with the car since it has mods and seems slower than both our other cars.. lol

will definately have complete tune up. our mechanic is the best around he's gonna check the car out in a few days and we'll go from there..

thanks guys
Old 05-04-2010, 02:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by sixvi6-camaro
I ran my car, stock heads and cam car, with just bullet muflers clamped to 1 7/8" headers. There was never a loss of power.
Well yeah I would think not
Old 05-04-2010, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pewter_z28
http://www.summitracing.com/search/Y...amaro+jet+chip

they make chips for any computer controlled vehicle as far as i know. no arguments necessary though just showing they do make chips for ls1 camaro/ firebirds.

Nope.. that is not an actual chip. Thats a module that plugs into the PCM's harness and changes the signals going into and out of the PCM to trick the PCM. The Tune in the PCM stays stock. A chip would be actually opening up the PCM and replacing the chip with a whole new one changing the tune in the computer. Regardless I'd take a look at the PCM and if it has one of those goofy harness modules on it first thing I'd do is remove it.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:50 PM
Staging Lane

yes you are correct i just always considered the pcm or anything of that sort to be a chip. i guess younger people like myself find it easier to just say it's got a chip in it. lol idk .....but thanks

also the only thing that looks out of place in the engine bay is a blue remote wire coming from the pcm its ran by itself along the rubber seal into a harness under the steering column where it goes into a connector. the way it's ran is not from factory... ANY CLUES

mechanics looking at the car thursday to see if anything seems fuc*ed up or jimmyrigged

Search this Thread