Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Detailing over the weekend

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 07:55 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Detailing over the weekend

Did the Envoy (car is an 08 w/ 50k miles) with a good buddy and it came out REALLY good.
Ended up with 5 passes, Clay bar, Heavy cut, Light cut, Pre-cleaner Wax, and Final wax.

1st pass: Mother's Clay Bar (wash before and after, and taped before step 2)
2nd pass: Uber 5" Orange Pad with Menzerna PS34A compound (Power Gloss)
3rd pass: CCS 6.5" White Pad with Mequiers Swirl X compound
4th pass: CCS 6.5" Grey Pad with Menzerna APO 60 (Cleaner/Sealing Wax)
5th pass: CCS 6.5" Blue Pad with Mequiers NXT 2.0 (probably should have used a Red pad... Stiffer waxing pad so it doesn't suck up the wax as bad)

I had washed the car the night before, drove up to my friends place and began the process...

My buddy just put some giant warehouse lights in his garage (think B-ball court lighting about 2 ft above your head) it really helped us see the detail. We each had a porter cable so When the 1st step was done the other person would follow up on the next step. Took us a little over 7hrs non stop w/ 2 people to do the exterior. That Menzerna PS34A compound is some awesome stuff. You gotta be a little carefull cause I could see it f'ing up the paint if you worked it too long. I'm real happy with how it looked. Unfortunately I got no before pictures and the after are just w/ the cell phone. Car looks good though. In the shade it looks black with a hint of blue.

All the swirl and some pretty big scratches and even some paint rub damage were all taken out. Not bad for the 1st time. Anything left over is pretty deep. but seriously the paint looks a million time better, when you look at it directly in the sun from every angle there is absolutely no swirl and the color looks darker. The NXT2 really darkens the paint. (I wish I would have taken before pics)

Old 05-03-2010, 08:09 AM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool, I'm posting my detailing pictures as well.

That's a tough color but it looks like you got it right.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:17 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NXT 2.0 is really some killer stuff. I just went over my T/A this weekend. I will get some Glamour shots later. But very easy to work with and beeds rain insanely.

I had to drive it today in the rain but it was not bad over all. The water blasts off at freeway speed. Nothing really ever sits on it.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:20 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Joe "Preachers Sheets" DIESO
Cool, I'm posting my detailing pictures as well.

That's a tough color but it looks like you got it right.
Thanks yeah it's a weird color. In the 5th pic down you can see the purple color I hate.

It didn't take long we got a waiting list of cars now, lol. Is not bad with the help of a buddy, but eating up your whole weekend would suck.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:24 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
NXT 2.0 is really some killer stuff. I just went over my T/A this weekend. I will get some Glamour shots later. But very easy to work with and beeds rain insanely.

I had to drive it today in the rain but it was not bad over all. The water blasts off at freeway speed. Nothing really ever sits on it.
Yeah those pics were taken Sat, its all dirty again, but the vehicle only needs a wash with an occasional wax now.

Iv'e used NXT before, but the stuff never lasts, I'm hoping the 2.0 is better.
I am a zaino guy but the mulistep process would have killed me on a D/D, especially after doing all this.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:57 AM
11 Second Club

Oh, here's a cool chart to show you compound aggressiveness
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...blackmod-1.jpg
Old 05-03-2010, 09:16 AM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The life of NXT 1.0 was the reason I feel 2.0 came out so darn soon. People were saying a quality wax would last longer. A polymer needs to outlast a wax by a month or two because the higher end waxes will usally look a little warmer/deeper/wetter.

I have grown to hate multi-stage process's. I thought I was the cool detailer with a 6 stage detail then windows, rubber, tires, windows, rims, engine bay. I realized I was the dumb ***.

Meguiars 105 and 205 is a two step combo for the worst of the worst. The 105 is a compound that breaks down to a med cut swirl remover and the 205 is a med swirl remover that breaks down to the point where the surface is prepped and ready to be sealed.

If you dont need both products you can just use the 205 as a single stage and then go straight to sealing. The Meguiars swirl remover X cut fairly well on light swirls and finished perfectly. I have used Klasse A-I-O for 11 years to prep before sealing and this is the first time I didnt need it. I'm going to use it anyway next time and see if it helps.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dan you will have to let me know when you do this again. I am dying to learn this method but fear learning on my own. Where did you order all your supplies? You got a pc buffer?
Old 05-03-2010, 09:56 AM
11 Second Club

I'm sold on the menzerna compounds and cleaners. I'll be getting more of that. The compound was my buddies I borrowed. I know the maguires works good too, the stuff I used is probably just a tad more aggressive than the 205and it goes a long way (it was gritty/chalky). Honestly I felt real safe using it and I wouldn't go more aggressive for my uses. If anything I might go to a slightly more aggresive pad if the car was bad and worst case make 2 passes.

A job like this is a day and a half for 1 person 12+hrs. Without tiring yourself out. Gotta remember this is a decent size vehicle. NXT 2.0 so far looks nice, well see how it lasts.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:03 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98hardtopSS
Dan you will have to let me know when you do this again. I am dying to learn this method but fear learning on my own. Where did you order all your supplies? You got a pc buffer?
Yeah Chris, I'll let you know. I am sure it will be sometime soon. Its not too bad one you got a plan of attack and the PC is about as safe as you can get. I ordered my stuff online, not a sponser so I'd have to PM you. But its nothing to worry about getting into, when unsure start with the least aggression, you keep your car in good shape so you might have been able to skip the 2nd step I did. The TA would not need the 2nd step. But seriously you really have to try and screw up to cause damage with this method. With a rotary I am sure I would have burned the crap outta it.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:51 AM
Internet Mechanic

Agreed on the Multi Step Process. The ONLY time I see myself doing it is for the T/A and I need a dedicated space so if I stopped, its not getting crap all over it. Right now my garage space is at a premium. I have potential access to one place but its been a while since I could use it. So we will see.

My wife's HHR is next. Since I am not going to De-swirl it. I am going to wash, clay, rinse, dry, NXT 2.0, and up keep with Spray wax. I will try to wash it weekly but depending on time, weather, schedual that may not happen. I have my mother in law's car that I was keep up as well.

I need to invest in a good spray wax.

The 2 that I am looking at are Meg's

Ultimate Quick Detailer

or

NXT Spray Wax

Both will be "Boosters" and I use Ult. Quick Detailer already but I use NXT for the regular Wax/Sealant. So we will see.

Last edited by BlackScreaminMachine; 05-03-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the best spray waxes I have used has been Eagle one. And I have tried them all.

I also have IBIZ which is probably the best but hardest to use.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

danno -

how much to do my ss!!???
Old 05-04-2010, 06:46 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by nikon1999
danno -

how much to do my ss!!???
If your willing to make the trip and I can get my buddy in on it I am sure we could do it up on a Saturday some time. Money wise I am sure it would be the cheapest you could find, right now its still fun
Old 05-04-2010, 06:49 AM
11 Second Club

I'll tell you what though it makes quick work outta throwing a coat of wax on a car. Sure beats doing it by hand.
Attached Thumbnails Detailing over the weekend-0411002016-large-.jpg   Detailing over the weekend-0411002000-large-.jpg  
Old 05-04-2010, 08:40 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
If your willing to make the trip and I can get my buddy in on it I am sure we could do it up on a Saturday some time. Money wise I am sure it would be the cheapest you could find, right now its still fun
This is what I do.

Depending on how much work the car needs. It should be inspected before taking on any job.

Pricing will vary if its a Customer, or a Friend/Family.

Do not sell yourself short.

If someone does not like the price, just say ok and move on.

For example....

A Wash, Clay, Sealant/Wax, Tire Clean/Dress would be considered Exterior Only which includes no polishing or Swirl Removal. If applicable, maybe a spray wax layer after it does a 12 hr cure. (I often will do the jambs too since its technically paint).

Friend: $60
Customer: $80-$100

If you do an Interior Job as well which includes Vaccume, Spot Removal, Dash/Console cleaning, Windows and if Applicable leather treatment.

Friend: $20-40
Customer: $40-60

If the car needs a full shampoo, its going to be more but thats negotiated.

The pricing for Polishing and Swirl removal is a whole different beast and until I get a idea of what my time is worth, then thats something completely else. The biggest thing is do not sell yourself short as it is harder to add dollars to a bill then it is to reduce or take away. Customer tend to use you again and recommend you if the prices are reasonable and the work is excellent.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:07 AM
11 Second Club

Yeah making it a part time business is jumping the gun for me. On the side once and a while is fine. You make great points though and I agree. The job on the envoy between products/pad life/electricity, is probably $40easy just in material cost. I didn't do the inside (not bad).

Plus I'm stil learning as I go, my buddy who helped me was actually more knowledgeable on some things. But yeah the job like I did on the Envoy $40 in materials and 14hrs, well thats not something you typically get for under $100.

I'd give Tim the friend Disc.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:12 AM
Internet Mechanic

Lets put it this way for my Wife and In-laws, it would be for free, I have a few others I'd consider for free or just pay for meterials and if they wished to "Tip", then I'd leave it up to them.

It all depends on the relationship.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:34 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Lets put it this way for my Wife and In-laws, it would be for free, I have a few others I'd consider for free or just pay for meterials and if they wished to "Tip", then I'd leave it up to them.

It all depends on the relationship.
Pssshhh my wife and inlaws need to pay double
Old 05-04-2010, 12:27 PM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
Pssshhh my wife and inlaws need to pay double
Lol. Thats funny.

In my house, we call it.

"Fleet Servicing"

My father in law is getting a newish Dodge Ram 1500 (Black Pearl Met.) and I will have to do that one over as well. I think I will need a sturdy ladder too haha.

My wife's HHR which is quickly becoming a car that we will not sell due to value and what is owed, needs a good once over.