Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Gauge Sweep

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 04:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Gauge Sweep

I had an 00 TA and every time I would start it all the gauges would sweep to the stop pins then fall and function properly never reseting my trip odometer. Somebody rearended and totaled it,but on the plus side i put the entire drivetrain in a 3rd gen. I also swapped in the gauge cluster and they work but they do not sweep on start up.I have been researching the gauge sweep and people are saying that it is a malfunction when you have a low battery and it will also reset your trip odometer,yet other people say the sweeping of the gauges was a factory intended function to reset them on start up. Now if the battery is connected and I unplug the gauge cluster and plug it back in I get a half assed unsyncronised sweep. So what I need to know is,is it a malfunction or an intended function,if its supposed to do so how do i get it operate properly. I have 3 power wires orange hot at all times,red hot in test start and run,and purple/white hot in start only.Disconecting purple/white wire has no effect on the operation of the cluster.I do remember disassembling the TA and the ppl/wht wire went to the starter relay witch I removed from the system,did that relay cut off all power to every thing but the starter and then restore power when the starter was disengaged ? Any help will be usefull thanks
Old 05-04-2010, 07:52 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

It is NOT normal for the gauges to sweep on startup. My 2000 T/A has only done that once in ten years - when I had a bad battery that got replaced the same day.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:32 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the input. Once in ten years makes me think you bought it new or just slightly used? I was not as fortunate got mine in 04 with 42000 on it and proceeded to beat it,I mean get the most out of it for another trouble free 75000 miles before somebody wasted it for me,but it allways every time did the gauge sweep without effecting the trip odometer. I thought it was a feature not a malfunction. I thought the vettes did this also,but perhaps I am mistaken.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:15 PM
Staging Lane

As a matter of fact when I was removing my gauge cluster and plugging it back in it retained the trip odometer it did not zero it out had it out over night even.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like WhiteBird said...bad battery. Probably a bad cell. Yes, the vettes sweep but thats cause they're supposed too.

Quick Reply: Gauge Sweep