Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Rear main seal leak during install

Old 05-03-2010, 09:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Rear main seal leak during install

Is it possible for the rear main to leak when installing an engine with just the weight of the oil on when tilted??

I am installing a used LS1 motor into am RX-7, I didn’t think twice to check if there was oil in it thinking the guy would have drained that before shipping it. Well I hoisted it up and then got her angled up on the load leveler and once I got it in the car I noticed oil coming from the bell housing behind the block. I pulled things back out and apart, also drained the oil as it was full, and it looks like the oil came from the rear main seal. It was clean on the back side of the block and I don’t see any sign of a previous leak so it just seems a little strange. Suppose I should replace the seal. Thanks for your help!
Old 05-03-2010, 10:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It shouldn't but I guess any thing is possible. I would want to replace the seal while the engine was out any way. That would suck to have to pull the trans off soon after the swap due a $20 seal. Is the oil pan gasket still holding up?
Old 05-03-2010, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Was the flywheel bolted on? The crank is drilled straight through for the flywheel bolts. If you tip the motor with any of those bolts out oil will pour out.

If the flywheel was on you could also check the oil seal plug in the center of the crank. It's usually fine but it can get banged when replacing the pilot bearing.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:06 AM
Teching In

Wow I feel dumb... the flywheel was off so that makes more sense. Thanks for the replies. I will probably go ahead with a new one since its appart.

Search this Thread