Advise on a speeding ticket!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 01:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advise on a speeding ticket!!

Just this morning I received a speeding ticket going 10mph over the speed limit. I was getting on the freeway so I started to speed up, and apparently from what I was told by the officer I was supposed to speed up once I'm on the freeway. So my question is, should I just hire an attorney or take defensive driving?
Old 05-04-2010, 01:40 PM
Teching In

Take the DD school. If you get another violation one withing the 1 yr after the class, request defered adjudication which means your on a 60-90 day probation. After probation, its taken off your record.

I dont think its worth getting attorney for this.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:53 PM
Launching!

Dont do DD. They specifically say in Driver's Ed that you are supposed to speed up ON the ramp, and be at the correct speed by the time your on the freeway. I would argue this like crazy. Not for the money or anything, just to prove the dumbass cop wrong.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:09 PM
Wearin' da big hat

The on ramp is for accelerating up to speed. You are NOT suppose to way to speed up on the highway. That is what jams up traffic, and obviously this police officer was being ignorant.

A properly designed freeway on-ramp gives you the space to gain freeway speed before entering the traffic flow. Do not be tentative about accelerating to highway speed—the most significant danger is that caused by disparate vehicle speeds. Do not drive to the end of the ramp and slow to a crawl or stop while waiting for a "break" in traffic. If you accelerate to a proper merge speed, you can merge safely, and the existing traffic will be more likely to accommodate your entry. Traffic merging onto a freeway must yield to traffic already on it, but at the same time, competent, courteous drivers will make room for others to merge. Be careful to always make a visual head-check (not just mirrors!) before changing lanes or merging.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:27 PM
11 Second Club

got to court, pay your 110 for the driving school, 10 for your driving record and 25 for the class.

you won't get an attorny in there for less then that, and your gonna loose anyway. why waste your time?

Incase you all didn't see in the news, the last 31 days houston pd wrote 41,000 more tickets for a revenue of 1.2million. they are doing this to get money back into the system. I got one for doing well north of the PSL, he wrote it for 5 over in a 60, i'm doing the school needless to say.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
The on ramp is for accelerating up to speed. You are NOT suppose to way to speed up on the highway. That is what jams up traffic, and obviously this police officer was being ignorant.
So I was looking over the ticket, and he wrote down that he pulled me over on the feeder, when he really pulled me over on the highway on-ramp.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:40 PM
On The Tree

theres nothing i hate more than people that wait until they get to the highway to speedup. that cop was stupid, i'd fight it
Old 05-05-2010, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would just fight it dude, nothing better than making a cop look like a douche.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Fight that **** **** that mother ****** , I went to dd and yes says that u suppost to speed up on ramp
Old 05-05-2010, 01:15 PM
Destroyer of Exotics

Originally Posted by red281gt
Fight that **** **** that mother ****** , I went to dd and yes says that u suppost to speed up on ramp
as much as i would like to agree with this, its gonna his word vs yours and its gonna be hard to beat. i know it may not be what you wanna hear but it is what it is.

however il send you a txt with some other useful info that you can use.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

My attorney was cheaper than court fees. Citizen law firm will get business from me again.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by AlfonSSo
So I was looking over the ticket, and he wrote down that he pulled me over on the feeder, when he really pulled me over on the highway on-ramp.
Here the location on the ticket is where he observed the violation happen not necessary the location of the stop. Either way it doesn't really matter what does is his word against yours.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just take dd and get a discount on you insurance. Take one of those comedy ones.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1sickz28
as much as i would like to agree with this, its gonna his word vs yours and its gonna be hard to beat. i know it may not be what you wanna hear but it is what it is.

however il send you a txt with some other useful info that you can use.
Why can they not pull the video from his car? isnt that **** there for a reason?
Old 05-05-2010, 06:03 PM
Destroyer of Exotics

Originally Posted by CamaroSS27
Why can they not pull the video from his car? isnt that **** there for a reason?
in a perfect world **** is easy, in the real world **** doesn't happen like that

traffic stops are dime a dozen your word vs the cops word is a losing battle 99 percent of the time.

like i told you in the txt alfonso, i got you taken care of so let me know when your ready
Old 05-07-2010, 06:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

The gubament is gonna get it's money one way or the other I guess... I would fight it. At least you could say you tried.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:34 PM

I would just do defensive driving and get it over with. It really doesnt matter if he put down that you were on the feter instead of the highway or vice versa. That makes no difference to a judge. He wont care, he'd prolly get pissed because it would make him feel your insulting his intelligence. LMAO. I would just take care of it brotha. Take defensive driving and get it dismissed from your driving record.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:14 PM
Staging Lane

u should of told em your speedometer wasnt workin lol i told em that once an got away lol , but i would just take defensive driving .
Old 05-08-2010, 03:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 92-T5
u should of told em your speedometer wasnt workin lol i told em that once an got away lol , but i would just take defensive driving .
Years ago I did that (it really wasn't working and I was pacing the car in front of me) so he gave me a ticket for defective equipment also :lol. I fixed that cable soon after.

What I would suggest to the OP is to find out how much everything is going to cost with each avenue and then decide. I look at it as my time isn't free either so that needs to be factored into the court cost and such.
Old 05-08-2010, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

where you pull over, and where he catches you speeding are 2 different things.... He probably got you with the radar on the service road. You wont win it if you fight it, at least it is not likely. its the cops word over yours.. Therese a state wide "push" for tickets going on. They will be out in force for a few months. This started about 2 months ago.