Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Security Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 08:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security Issues?

I was wondering if the key and the little chip in key could cause the car from starting? Sometimes the car will start fine, but then I try for like 10 times and it wont start. I replaced the cam & crank sensors, and they didnt fix it. So...should my next step be to go to the gm dealer and have another key made up? Or does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks for any ideas!
Old 05-04-2010, 08:50 PM
Staging Lane

yeah its a resistor.. and it disables the ignition... might have to get a new key and lock cylinder......?
Old 05-04-2010, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Z28-Z71mAn
I was wondering if the key and the little chip in key could cause the car from starting? Sometimes the car will start fine, but then I try for like 10 times and it wont start. I replaced the cam & crank sensors, and they didnt fix it. So...should my next step be to go to the gm dealer and have another key made up? Or does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks for any ideas!
Clean the key with WD-40 and you are done. I replaced a starter for nothing when it was a dirty key the hole time!!
Old 05-04-2010, 09:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jester ls1
Clean the key with WD-40 and you are done. I replaced a starter for nothing when it was a dirty key the hole time!!
Not true.

I had to replace the key cylinder in my '00 Z28. It's possible you have a bad ground wire inside the ignition. My advice is just pay the $200 for a new key cylinder & don't ave to worry about getting stranded.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What your probably experiencing is that Radio/Windows/Headlights etc all work but the car doesn't even crank.

I just dealt with this today. I have an aftermarket alarm and remote start.

Basically what I had done was "ByPass" the GM's VATS(Vehicle Antitheft System), This alarm/stereo shop wired in resistors to match the ohm reading between the key and the bcm.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:27 AM
Staging Lane

bad_408_vert: The car will crank, but it just wont start. I'll try this numerous times and wont start, but at random times it does start. Very frustrating!

So if I get a new lockcylinder will it come with a new key? I was gonna just try to get a new key made up and see if that works. Is the lockcylinder very hard to replace? Or is it something I should have the dealership handle?
Old 05-05-2010, 07:30 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by NBM.Z28™
Not true.

I had to replace the key cylinder in my '00 Z28. It's possible you have a bad ground wire inside the ignition. My advice is just pay the $200 for a new key cylinder & don't ave to worry about getting stranded.
You're new but it's best not to contradict someone unless you know what you're talking about. Just because you had to replace an ignition cylinder doesn't mean everyone has to. jester ls1 is quite correct - often a good cleaning of the key (although I wouldn't use WD40 - rubbing alcohol doesn't leave a residue to collect more grime) and cleaning the contacts inside the ignition cylinder (using spray contact/tuner cleaner from Radio Shack) will solve a VATS problem.

Sometimes the contacts on the key or inside the ignition cylinder are too worn to make proper contact with each other requiring replacement of the key or the ignition cylinder. Sometimes the tiny wires from the ignition cylinder get twisted and broken. And sometimes it's a bad Body Control Module (BCM). However, it costs basically nothing to try cleaning the contacts or try a spare key, so that should always be the first course of action - especially before spending $200 to replace an ignition cylinder that may or may not solve the problem.

BTW, there is no ground involved in the ignition cylinder. The contacts on both sides are part of a closed circuit that is completed when the key is inserted and allows the BCM to measure the resistance of the key pellet.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 05-05-2010 at 07:40 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:39 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

bad_408_vert: The car will crank, but it just wont start. I'll try this numerous times and wont start, but at random times it does start. Very frustrating!
Despite all the comments about this being a VATS problem, you make no mention of the SECURITY light in the instrument cluster. Is the light on? Is it flashing? If the light isn't on or flashing (and particularly because you can get the car to crank) the problem isn't with the VATS, key, or ignition cylinder.

VATS disables the car in two ways - it doesn't send a fuel enable signal to the PCM (effectively cutting off fuel supply) and it doesn't ground the starter relay (preventing the starter from operating). Your starter works so it is likely that the problem isn't related to security.

There are numerous other possibilities... ordinary mechanical ones. First you have to find out if you're getting fuel and spark. That will tell you where to continue looking to diagnose the problem.

So if I get a new lockcylinder will it come with a new key? I was gonna just try to get a new key made up and see if that works. Is the lockcylinder very hard to replace? Or is it something I should have the dealership handle?
As noted above - DO NOT get a new ignition cylinder at this point. It is very unlikely to be the source of your problem.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:26 AM
Staging Lane

I cleaned the little chip and sprayed some electronics cleaner in the ignition and so far it has been workin! I would have never guessed that those chips are that sensitive to a little bit of dirt/dust. Im glad it was a easy fix! Thanks for all the tips!