Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Need pictures...

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 10:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need pictures...

I need pictures of the three wires that are attached to the front turn signal sockets. One is a Ground, one is for the blinker, whats the last one for? I need somebody to show me a picture labeling each wire. I'm splicing some resistors in for LEDs. I know it needs to splice into the ground and the blinker wire, but whats what?
Old 05-04-2010, 11:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

probably the DRL's or the parking lights.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:59 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

There are three wires to each front light socket. They are black, brown, and blue. Black is ground, blue is DRL and turn signals (the bright filament of the bulbs), and brown is parking lights (the dim filament of the bulbs). The brown wire only provides power when the headlights are on.

You don't need resistance on both the power and ground sides of LEDs - one or the other is all that's necessary (power side is definitely better). Most pre-assembled LED lighting already has the necessary resistors built-in so unless you're building your own from loose LEDs, you may not need resistors at all.

On the other hand, if you're adding resistors as load equalizers to make the turn signals work properly with LEDs, it's much easier to replace the thermal flasher with an electronic one.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As far as the flasher, it's part # EL12 right? I've looked at various stores and some people are saying they are not to be used with LEDs. I have yet to get the answer I was looking for so I haven't gone that route. If it will work fine I'll just buy one of those, but as for now I already have the resistors and figured I could just put them in.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:16 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The normal electronic flashers (like the EL12) will work fine as long as at least some of the original bulbs are still used (i.e. not all of the lights are LEDs). If you're just replacing the front lights with LEDs then the electronic flasher will work. If you're replacing all of the lights (front and rear) then you will need an electronic flasher designed specifically for LEDs or you'll need to install load equalizers.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm just doing the front lights. i.e. DRLs and the 194 style bulb.