Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Ideal homemade painting situation - smallish parts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 08:18 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ideal homemade painting situation - smallish parts?

Which would be the best solution for painting, or would you suggest something else. This isn't for an entire car, just some pieces that are off of the car:

1) Garage
My in-laws have a pretty big garage that I could set up a table and I could lay the paint there. My main concern is that it isn't sealed and dust concerns me.

2) "Greenhouse/Paint-booth"
Using a frame of pvc pipe and walls, floor and ceiling made from clear painter's plastic, I could build a paintbooth in my parent's or my in-laws back yard. The advantage here is that I could better control dust and the extra benefit is that it would act like a greenhouse adding to the heat applied between coats.

So...
Which one, or is there a better "back-yard mechanic" way.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what parts exactly,,, whats smallish to you??

If its like a intake or something smaller,,, the garage on the table. Anything larger then that you might get into haveing fumes going into the house (if it is attached) or haveing overspray ruining stuff all inside the garage. then the outside is better.
I would say if you kept the doors shut the whole time the garage would have less dust. Out side a green house from plastic will blow around with the wind and isnt sealed tight, letting in dust. If its not windy just do it outside, away from dirt roads, bare fields and under trees. I also like to do small parts in basements.

Quick Reply: Ideal homemade painting situation - smallish parts?