Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

breaking in rear

Old 05-06-2010, 10:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default breaking in rear

im having my diff purged. when they put the fluids back with the additives, whats the proper way of breaking it in. also im getting a dyno tune, should i do the tune first or fluids first depending if there a break in period for the fluids. thanks Ralph
Old 05-06-2010, 11:02 AM
10 Second Club

Not to hijack the OP, but I'm in the same boat. Just getting ready to start driving on my new Midwest FAB9 with Detroit Locker.

Do I need to run a special "break-in" fluid? If so, for how many miles? Once that's done is it OK to run synthetic with the locker?

Thanks.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:51 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

we don't suggest the use of any synthetic fluids for the first 500 miles. as far as a new gear break-in, you need to do 5 heat cycles with no abuse. this is light street driving, don't go over 55mph, don't go down the highway for 20 miles at 65mph. just drive it like a grandma on sunday . no clutch dumps, burnouts, full throttle accel, etc. about 15 minutes at a time, then let it cool off for no less than 1 hour between cycles. a heat cycle is from cool to full operating temp, them back to cool. this needs to be done 5 times.

the purpose of this is to surface temper the gears. all gears are heat treated, but it is essential for the life of the gear(and incidentally noise level) to break-in the gear properly and this process of bringing the gears up to temp slowly and letting them cool slowly is what does the job. Richmond Gear told me that 95% of all warranty claims they see are from people either not doing the break-in or improper method.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:33 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks for the quick reply, Eric. Do you recommend synthetic after break-in? What viscocity? 99% street driven, BTW.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:36 PM
9 Second Club

Thanks for this thread I need to break in my new rear also.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:37 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nexstar7
im having my diff purged. when they put the fluids back with the additives, whats the proper way of breaking it in. also im getting a dyno tune, should i do the tune first or fluids first depending if there a break in period for the fluids. thanks Ralph
Define "having my diff purged." I'm assuming you are talking about a new ring and pinion and bearings since you are asking about break-in, but it isn't clear what you mean.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:10 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GMMillwright
Thanks for the quick reply, Eric. Do you recommend synthetic after break-in? What viscocity? 99% street driven, BTW.

synthetic can be used after break-in yes, but some diff unit manufacturers do not recommend using synthetic oils. as far as viscosity, for the break-in just any GL-5 rated or better 80/90 is fine. after the 500 mile if you do alot of highway driving or roadcourse use maybe a 85-140 type would be good. drag only cars could get away with a thinner racing type lube. any of our clutch type posi units will require a additive and we recommend the Ford OEM Friction Modifier. the Wavetrac, Truetrac, Detroit Locker, and spools do not require additives.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:50 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Define "having my diff purged." I'm assuming you are talking about a new ring and pinion and bearings since you are asking about break-in, but it isn't clear what you mean.
I think the OP is just having the fluid changed, in that case you dont break-in fluid.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
just draining the fluids and adding new fluids
Old 05-06-2010, 03:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by getusumws6
I think the OP is just having the fluid changed, in that case you dont break-in fluid.
thanks getusumws6
Old 05-06-2010, 10:28 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nexstar7
just draining the fluids and adding new fluids
As stated...no break-in required for fluid changes only.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just break it on the same way you did it whwn you bought the car.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:24 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ssvert99
synthetic can be used after break-in yes, but some diff unit manufacturers do not recommend using synthetic oils. as far as viscosity, for the break-in just any GL-5 rated or better 80/90 is fine. after the 500 mile if you do alot of highway driving or roadcourse use maybe a 85-140 type would be good. drag only cars could get away with a thinner racing type lube. any of our clutch type posi units will require a additive and we recommend the Ford OEM Friction Modifier. the Wavetrac, Truetrac, Detroit Locker, and spools do not require additives.
Do you mean the wacetrac and truetrac need the additives and the locker and spool dont. Im confused??
Old 05-21-2010, 05:12 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slvrbackls1
Do you mean the wacetrac and truetrac need the additives and the locker and spool dont. Im confused??
They do not, a clutch posi is the only ones that require an additive.

Search this Thread