Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Door literally falling apart, what to do

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 11:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door literally falling apart, what to do

Ok, so now Karma is catching up to me for the price I paid for my recent 98 T/A acquisition. My driver's side door is actually falling apart!

This thread my be useless without pics, but I'll try and explain the best I can first and if not add pics later. At the front of my door I can actually pull the top front corner of the door panel away from the rest of the door if that makes sense? The rivets are not connecting it anymore, it looks like someone had almost glued it to the door a while ago and it's just starting to come apart. In other words, I know if I give a good tug or I bet even if the wind were to ever catch that, it would rip right off and you'd be staring at my window and the rest of the inside of the door.

Would bondo be a good solution for this? i really do not want to buy another door because then I would have to sand it down, primer and paint it likely because the paint on the car now is a different white than what these cars came with. I figured i could bondo it back down, give a good sand job and just touch up the paint in that area?

Are there any suggestions for a industrial type glue i can use for the time being? Like I said I think the wind could actually catch this and rip it off the rest of the door!

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestons
Old 05-06-2010, 11:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so is it your door panel coming off of a part of the door?

inside or outside?

Pictures would be helpful

If it's the door panel, pull it off and look on the back side, you may be able to re-melt the little pins that hold it together.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:46 AM
Staging Lane

yeah maybe door panel was a poor choice of words.

its the outside of the door. i can actually pull the corner right in front of the mirror away from the rest of the door about 4 inches.

im pretty sure its fiberglass?
Old 05-06-2010, 11:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Is it the black (plastic/rubber) strip that runs along the top, outside edge of the door?

Or is it the outer color matched (white for the TA in your sig) fiberglass door skin?
Old 05-06-2010, 12:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
Is it the black (plastic/rubber) strip that runs along the top, outside edge of the door?

Or is it the outer color matched (white for the TA in your sig) fiberglass door skin?
YEAH the door skin, sorry I just could not think of what to call it.

http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/a...high51/4-1.jpg
Old 05-06-2010, 12:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by mile_high51
YEAH the door skin, sorry I just could not think of what to call it.

http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/a...high51/4-1.jpg
I'd get some bondo glass (fiberglass repair) instead of bondo.

If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, you could always take it to a body shop, but it may be cheaper to buy a door from somebody parting out a TA and replacing it yourself. I'd personally try it myself.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is an adhesive for this. Don't use bondo or fiberglass repair.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
I'd get some bondo glass (fiberglass repair) instead of bondo.

If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, you could always take it to a body shop, but it may be cheaper to buy a door from somebody parting out a TA and replacing it yourself. I'd personally try it myself.
ive worked with bondo before, so i'd probably just try it myself to save some money. if it doesn't work, i guess I'll have to break down and buy a new door.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by fergymoto
There is an adhesive for this. Don't use bondo or fiberglass repair.
What did you have in mind? I wanted to look into an adhesive but i wouldn't know where to start when it comes to something like this.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:29 PM
TECH Regular

I have the same problem going on right now with my driver side door,but its at the other end of the door (closer to the door handle). When I open my door I can see my door seperate, its coming UNGLUED. My window is ratteling now too.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wildta
I have the same problem going on right now with my driver side door,but its at the other end of the door (closer to the door handle). When I open my door I can see my door seperate, its coming UNGLUED. My window is ratteling now too.
yeah the window is rattling like crazy now. i should have had this checked out a while ago because that door has always sounded SUPER rough when closing it and i never thought nothing of it...didn't know it was just falling apart!

if you find a good way to fix it let me know. im going to pick up some 3M heavy duty adhesive tonight from autozone and give that a go (just temporarily). then I think im going to take the door off and fiberglass/bondo it back together the right way and repaint/touch up.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:39 PM
TECH Regular

Fiberglass filler will not work its a filler not a glue. look in to fusor glue it and you will never have a issue again
Old 05-07-2010, 10:20 AM
12 Second Club

Fiberglass or bondo will not work, it will waste your time and money. You need some two part 3m panel bond. Any local shop should be able to do this fairly cheap.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:19 PM
Staging Lane

^thanks guys. good thing i didn't buy any fiberglass or bondo last night like I was going to.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:31 PM
TECH Regular

just get a new door?
Old 05-07-2010, 02:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SSickLS1SS
just get a new door?
just read the thread?
Old 05-09-2010, 03:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Something to keep in mind to prevent it from happening again in the future is when you put the window all the way down, bump it back up just a smidge. When the windows hit the very bottom they put pressure on the doors and make them bulge. Poor design by GM.

I've always made sure that once they hit bottom to nudge them up just a tad to make the bulge go away. Not sure if the previous owners did or not, but at nearly 148k and original doors and nothing is separating yet.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey:

Superglue gel from like the dollar store works like a charm, just don't get it on everything or you'll wish you hadn't. Three tubes are a dollar, vs $19.00 for the carquest adhesive, with almost the same adhesive makeup. Just apply it in two good lines, not too much and use some good spring or pressure clamps for about 15 mins. I did mine 80,000 miles ago and all is still good even after the coldest winter it has ever been driven in this year.

Dub

When In Doubt Do Without
Old 05-10-2010, 12:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wildta
same **** here too
Old 05-10-2010, 12:06 AM
Staging Lane

If i were you. it might be easier to look at buying a new door. hell may even be cheaper

Quick Reply: Door literally falling apart, what to do