Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 in a 69 camaro whats vss?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 06:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ls1 in a 69 camaro whats vss?

hey guys i am doin a ls1 2000 camaro motor into a 69 camaro with a tko600. i was told i need a vss for my tko600 for the wiring.. why is this is it really needed? an if so why is this. an if u all have does this on a tko500 are a tko600 plz let know know what u all have done are used.
thanks jason
Old 05-07-2010, 08:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I've got an LS with a Richmond 6 speed in my 68 vette. The Richmond runs only a mechanical speedo output feeding my mechanical speedo. Without any VSS the engine would die when depressing the clutch for a prolonged time while slowing from highway speed in high gear and coming to a stop. Apparently a very common effect of no VSS.
I added a Dakota Digital 8k ppm pass thru VSS, allowing me to keep my mechanical speedo.
Another swap on corvette forum has a TKO with the same problem. Dakota Digital has short adapter cables made for space limited applications that will connect the TKO ford output to the GM pass thru VSS. Then you can use your mechanical GM speedo cable and speedometer.
You have to call them to get the adapter cable. Just explain what you're trying to do. Total cost is about $50.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You don't really need the VSS Signal.. but it can be used and needed for driving a Digital Speedo (or ther Electrical speedo's) or if you have a Electrically controlled Automatic Trans. A Cable-X box can also be used to drive a mechanical Speedo from a VSS output. But Like Gary said..If you can order it with one or the other.. or both it would be helpful

But for a Manual car and trans, the PCM doesn't really need the VSS input. I've been running without it for almost 5 years.. I've not had the problems that Gary stated can happen (could be my tune ?) on slow down or depressing my Clutch.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by garys 68
I've got an LS with a Richmond 6 speed in my 68 vette. The Richmond runs only a mechanical speedo output feeding my mechanical speedo. Without any VSS the engine would die when depressing the clutch for a prolonged time while slowing from highway speed in high gear and coming to a stop. Apparently a very common effect of no VSS.
I added a Dakota Digital 8k ppm pass thru VSS, allowing me to keep my mechanical speedo.
Another swap on corvette forum has a TKO with the same problem. Dakota Digital has short adapter cables made for space limited applications that will connect the TKO ford output to the GM pass thru VSS. Then you can use your mechanical GM speedo cable and speedometer.
You have to call them to get the adapter cable. Just explain what you're trying to do. Total cost is about $50.
i emailed dakota digital an tim wrote me that the vss pass thur wont work for the ls1? but alot of people on here an other forms say they do? i do want to keep my mech speed-0, so does the sen-1-4160 pass thur vss just sending the ecm a code saying hey we slowing down dont kill the motor?
Old 05-09-2010, 08:28 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 69blackwhss
i emailed dakota digital an tim wrote me that the vss pass thur wont work for the ls1? but alot of people on here an other forms say they do? i do want to keep my mech speed-0, so does the sen-1-4160 pass thur vss just sending the ecm a code saying hey we slowing down dont kill the motor?
Ask Tim "why not?" The pulse will not be early as far as using, the factory reluctor and sensor, but it will let the motor know when you are slowing down and stopping, plus you could figure out, how may pulse per mile you have and correct the calibration
Old 05-09-2010, 08:34 AM
TECH Junkie

The DD VSS sends 8ppm signal. The computer is used to seeing a 100k ppm, so the computer will read very low speeds without retuning. However, that was enough to cure my stalling issues. It would not stall very often, but once I found the correct conditions, I could reproduce the stall easily. Btw, there's another member on corvetteforum with an LS/TKO that has the same issue and is adding the DD pass thru w/ Ford short adapter cable.
If you want to get a correct speed reading to the computer for an electronic speedo or DBW cruise control to work, you'll need HP Tuners. Apparently, 8ppm is outside the range of EFI lives tuning capability. Check out the last few pages of corvetteforums LS conversion sticky for more info.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

The DD VSS sends 8ppm signal. The computer is used to seeing a 100k ppm, so the computer will read very low speeds without retuning. However, that was enough to cure my stalling issues. It would not stall very often, but once I found the correct conditions, I could reproduce the stall easily. Btw, there's another member on corvetteforum with an LS/TKO that has the same issue and is adding the DD pass thru w/ Ford short adapter cable.
If you want to get a correct speed reading to the computer for an electronic speedo or DBW cruise control to work, you'll need HP Tuners. Apparently, 8ppm is outside the range of EFI lives tuning capability. Check out the last few pages of corvetteforums LS conversion sticky for more info.
hey i have read they forum the other day an email him an he is waiting on the parts an was goin to let me know if it works.

i dont care if it will not send the rite ppm to the ecm i just want the motor to run an not stall out!! i plan on keeping my stock gauges an mech speed-0.
thanks for any info
Old 05-09-2010, 10:40 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It puts out 8 pulses per revolution, not per mile, I know there were some 60 pulse per revolution ones out there. The normal output speed of a speedometer connection is 1000 revolutions per mile, so with an 8 pulse per revolution sensor you're get 8000 pulse per mile. the setting range for this input in the tune is listed being 0 to 255996, in incriments of 4, so you could set it for 8000 pulses per mile

I looked it up in EFI Live, since I originally had looked in TunerCat / Jet, the EFI Live limits are 100 through 157478, so you could set it for 8000 in EFI live

Last edited by poconojoe; 05-09-2010 at 10:49 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by poconojoe
It puts out 8 pulses per revolution, not per mile, I know there were some 60 pulse per revolution ones out there. The normal output speed of a speedometer connection is 1000 revolutions per mile, so with an 8 pulse per revolution sensor you're get 8000 pulse per mile. the setting range for this input in the tune is listed being 0 to 255996, in incriments of 4, so you could set it for 8000 pulses per mile

I looked it up in EFI Live, since I originally had looked in TunerCat / Jet, the EFI Live limits are 100 through 157478, so you could set it for 8000 in EFI live
so i can get the vss pass thur an it will let my motor still work? an i use my mech. speed-0 so i know how fast am going rite? i just got to have the vss so the motor will not stall?
Old 05-10-2010, 02:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Oops, correction...SEN-01-4160 8k ppm....
I dont do my own tuning, but I've been told 2 things....
From Jesse at wait4 me who did the tune "If you go that low on the pulses per mile, it will lock up the ecm and it will never work again due to a cpu overrun condition. That is why we lock the values in efilive tuning software so people dont ruin them."
From another forum member "I use HP tuners and Jesse uses EFIlive. For whatever reason EFIlive won't let you change the pulse per mile number down to 8000. If you find someone with HP tuners he can change it for you."

Either way, it solved my stalling issue without a retune. I'm using my mechanical speedo too. I only need a retune on the VSS to get mt DBW cruise control to work.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

i got to use the hp tuner to tune the motor with the cam an setup am runing
Old 05-11-2010, 02:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oops, correction...SEN-01-4160 8k ppm....
I dont do my own tuning, but I've been told 2 things....
From Jesse at wait4 me who did the tune "If you go that low on the pulses per mile, it will lock up the ecm and it will never work again due to a cpu overrun condition. That is why we lock the values in efilive tuning software so people dont ruin them."
From another forum member "I use HP tuners and Jesse uses EFIlive. For whatever reason EFIlive won't let you change the pulse per mile number down to 8000. If you find someone with HP tuners he can change it for you."

Either way, it solved my stalling issue without a retune. I'm using my mechanical speedo too. I only need a retune on the VSS to get mt DBW cruise control to work.
so garys68 u are useing the sen-01-4160 then an its working ok for u?
Old 05-11-2010, 04:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Yep, been trying to stall it for a few weeks now. Cant do it any more. $50, cheap fix. I'll reprogram the computer when I buy HP tuners for my next swap, then I can add cruise control.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yep, been trying to stall it for a few weeks now. Cant do it any more. $50, cheap fix. I'll reprogram the computer when I buy HP tuners for my next swap, then I can add cruise control.

ok sounds great too me man thanks again brother.

Quick Reply: ls1 in a 69 camaro whats vss?