Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Looking to upgrade HU? Advise needed!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 07:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Looking to upgrade HU? Advise needed!!!!

Hey guys, it's been a while since I've been on here as I just got thru the pain of moving to a new house. I have some bday money coming in and would like to update the HU in my 95 TA. Here is a list of options I want but just can't seem to narow down the HU that I want to get. BTW - I have 2 amps (4 ch for car and 2 ch for sub) installed already, just want to upgrade the Panasonic unit I have now that is about 11 years old.

Desired Options:

Can change color to red (face plate)
Antenna up only when FM or AM on
Powered Sub out (L/R)
Powered Front and Rear (separate channels) out
Wireless or Wired remote for PAC control (currently have on my panasonic)
Don't care about Btooth (but nice to update or add one day)
Nice to have USB and Ipod control

Been leaning towards the Alpine units but they seem to have a very quirky user interface for getting to options. Let me know what u guys have and love and make some recc's!!!! Thanks.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:08 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well if it needs all that i would say the Pioneer DEH-410ub, or the HU that just recently came out thats the stepped up version. Only thing is it doesn't have a red face plate. I have the 410ub currently and it does everything you want (including bluetooth if you decide to get the adapter). The steering wheel controls are going to be a separate unit though.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

whatever you do dave don't buy a sony
Old 05-07-2010, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1121
LOL - Don't worry!!!
Old 05-07-2010, 12:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1121
hmm...why do you say that?
Old 05-07-2010, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The Mighty Texan
hmm...why do you say that?
Sony's quality to price ratio sucks!!!! I would have bought a Sony unit 10 years ago without question, but not today as if you search their quality has plumitted and their price has gone up. With Sony you are paying a 70% premium for the name and not the quality of the item.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DAVE00
Sony's quality to price ratio sucks!!!! I would have bought a Sony unit 10 years ago without question, but not today as if you search their quality has plumitted and their price has gone up. With Sony you are paying a 70% premium for the name and not the quality of the item.
Gotcha, I used to think that too till i started looking for one a couple months ago. I looked through mostly everything too all the brands models and what not. After looking and comparing quality and prices i actually decided on a sony which should be coming soon! The sound quality is identical for mostly all hu's because of the size they are pretty much limited to roughly the same pre-amp. The options on the deck are pretty much like every other brand/model...usb, aux, cd, switchable colors, eq settings, etc. And the quality has acutally got up from their previous generation (****) models. So personaly i would vouch for the sonys. Not trying to argue with ya but if someone on here is thinking about getting one thats what i would suggest.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:01 PM
Launching!

I always loved alpine & kenwood excelon head units.
I am installing a kenwood excelon head unit this weekend.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:52 PM
Banned

JVC KDR-610 has been a nice performer for me. Been using it alot for my customers. Bang for the buck it's a great unit and meets all of the above requests. I have it at $139.00 with install gear (antenna adapter, standard harness adapter, and mount).
Old 05-07-2010, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have had a couple of alpine units and a kenwood unit and alpine by far is superior. they are very simple looking, but have a ton of features that you wouldn't know about. i don't think i would ever purchase anything else.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:44 PM
Banned

Alpine has relied on there name for too long and have been outclassed by other units from Pioneer, Kenwood, Clarion and JVC. Once they started getting carried by big box stores they slacked off IMO. I have not been impressed with them for awhile now...kind of like Rockford Fosgate. I used to love there amps and subs and over the past several years they have just laid back and enjoyed mass sales at big stores nation wide with mediocre product. Don't even get me started on Bose.
Alpine still makes a decent radio but the other units mentioned are better bang for the buck especially when it comes to sound quality on the cheap.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

DEH-P6200BT. Everything you want...I have the Pioneer DEH-P7000BT and LOVE it. Only thing it doesn't have that you want is the red, which the 6200 is.
As for Alpine, I wouldn't buy one. To complicated, and everythings extra, which is BS. Want Bluetooth, the module is extra, want HD radio, the module is extra, want Imprint, the module is extra, yada yada.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
JVC KDR-610 has been a nice performer for me. Been using it alot for my customers. Bang for the buck it's a great unit and meets all of the above requests. I have it at $139.00 with install gear (antenna adapter, standard harness adapter, and mount).
Thanks man, but the model you indicate doesn't meet the specs as it doesn't even have preamp outs for a sub and I need this as I have a separate amp for my sub. Don't like the look of JVC as well as they look pretty cheap IMHO. What do you think of the Pioneer DEH-P6200BT and Pioneer MVH-8200BT also, what do you think of the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994? I know the models are a little pricey, but they have what I'm looking for. Let me know what you think.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:41 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks man, but the model you indicate doesn't meet the specs as it doesn't even have preamp outs for a sub and I need this as I have a separate amp for my sub. Don't like the look of JVC as well as they look pretty cheap IMHO. What do you think of the Pioneer DEH-P6200BT and Pioneer MVH-8200BT also, what do you think of the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994? I know the models are a little pricey, but they have what I'm looking for. Let me know what you think.
You'll get more/quicker results if you look up the models and try to find reviews, most of us probably have not tried the ones you may be interested in.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

I recently installed a whole new system using the Pioneer DEH-P7200HD and I love it. It's got a 5 band EQ as opposed to the 3 band of the 6200BT and HD radio standard. The USB port is on the face of the model which is fine, although I would prefer it in the back so I could just run the wire to the glove box. It's a bit pricier at $260 from Crutchfield but I feel it was well worth it, especially since it allowed me to get a deal on the speakers. The one downside is the fact that the lighting is blue instead of red.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:03 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow, nice car OP...
Old 05-12-2010, 07:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by landstuhltaylor
I recently installed a whole new system using the Pioneer DEH-P7200HD and I love it. It's got a 5 band EQ as opposed to the 3 band of the 6200BT and HD radio standard. The USB port is on the face of the model which is fine, although I would prefer it in the back so I could just run the wire to the glove box. It's a bit pricier at $260 from Crutchfield but I feel it was well worth it, especially since it allowed me to get a deal on the speakers. The one downside is the fact that the lighting is blue instead of red.
Thanks for the advise, on the HD did you have to run a different antenna, and does that model have BT as well as I think I'd rather have BT then HD radio?

Plus don't really care about the EQ as I have all external amps and do my fine tuning there.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by myk
Wow, nice car OP...
Thanks bud, not too shabby yourself! BTW - that chick in your sig is hot!!!
Old 05-12-2010, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
Alpine has relied on there name for too long and have been outclassed by other units from Pioneer, Kenwood, Clarion and JVC. Once they started getting carried by big box stores they slacked off IMO. I have not been impressed with them for awhile now...kind of like Rockford Fosgate. I used to love there amps and subs and over the past several years they have just laid back and enjoyed mass sales at big stores nation wide with mediocre product. Don't even get me started on Bose.
Alpine still makes a decent radio but the other units mentioned are better bang for the buck especially when it comes to sound quality on the cheap.
actually i agree they have gone downhill. i learned, actually after that post, they don't have the time correction feature anymore, which was revolutionary. now you have to buy their stupid surround sound kit, which is like $200, to accomplish the same thing they put in almost every standard player a few years ago. i'm not sure if you're familiar with it, but it would delay the sound coming from the other speakers (based on your measurement in meters) so that the sound from each speaker hit your ear all at the exact same time. it made a huge difference. i guess what i mean in my earlier post is that the 7894/7995 days were stellar units for the price.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks for the advise, on the HD did you have to run a different antenna, and does that model have BT as well as I think I'd rather have BT then HD radio?

Plus don't really care about the EQ as I have all external amps and do my fine tuning there.
For the antenna all that is needed is an adapter which would be included in the installation kit. It still goes up whenever the unit is on, however. I have no idea how you would go about changing that. Bluetooth isn't standard on it but it is optional. I did most of my tuning using the amps as well but it's nice to be able to make quick changes on the head unit.