Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LY6 Build ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 10:50 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LY6 Build ?'s

I have an LY6 with a burnt exhaust valve on the #7 cyl. Therefore I am taking it apart and building it for a swap in my 1986 Monte Carlo SS. I have a few questions because I am not very famaliar with these engines. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

1.) What computer/wiring harness will I need if running a 4l60 or 4l80?

2.) Can I interchange the LS6 intake and aftermarket injectors/fuel rails?

3.) I have no a/c / heat so with this build is there anyone who has a similar build with an accessory (p/s, alt) belt routing picture?

4.)What other small mods besides changing to ARP rod bolts do you guys recommend?
Old 05-07-2010, 03:07 PM
Staging Lane

Also, are the mounting points for the Motor mount brackets the same as as ls1.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sschevyss
I have an LY6 with a burnt exhaust valve on the #7 cyl. Therefore I am taking it apart and building it for a swap in my 1986 Monte Carlo SS. I have a few questions because I am not very famaliar with these engines. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

1.) What computer/wiring harness will I need if running a 4l60 or 4l80?

2.) Can I interchange the LS6 intake and aftermarket injectors/fuel rails?

3.) I have no a/c / heat so with this build is there anyone who has a similar build with an accessory (p/s, alt) belt routing picture?

4.)What other small mods besides changing to ARP rod bolts do you guys recommend?

1. Any standard ecm that reads 58x reluctor
2. No, L92 heads Rec Port, why would you want to go back and use the LS6 intake, rails, inject(which are smaller)? The only way to use that LS6 package is to swap to cathedral port heads...
3. You can use the truck drive or just buy the corvette front drive....
4..The LY6 has VVT...> you can use it but if you want to go to a performance cam..... You will need LS2 timing chain,gear etc... LS2 front cover....

You can just keep your motor......
Discard the truck front drive buy a corvette front drive
Discard the VVT, buy a LS2 front timing cover,chain, gear, bolt etc...
Get you a cam from say 22X/23X(about a 7-8 split) with at least .599/.599 lift 113 LSA
Discard the truck intake, buy a L76 intake

Bam..... 6.0/l92 oh yeah you could mill the heads .020-.030 to bump comp

That should get you at least 450 to the rear, 500+ at the crank....
Old 05-08-2010, 12:42 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bozzhawg
1. Any standard ecm that reads 58x reluctor
2. No, L92 heads Rec Port, why would you want to go back and use the LS6 intake, rails, inject(which are smaller)? The only way to use that LS6 package is to swap to cathedral port heads...
3. You can use the truck drive or just buy the corvette front drive....
4..The LY6 has VVT...> you can use it but if you want to go to a performance cam..... You will need LS2 timing chain,gear etc... LS2 front cover....

You can just keep your motor......
Discard the truck front drive buy a corvette front drive
Discard the VVT, buy a LS2 front timing cover,chain, gear, bolt etc...
Get you a cam from say 22X/23X(about a 7-8 split) with at least .599/.599 lift 113 LSA
Discard the truck intake, buy a L76 intake

Bam..... 6.0/l92 oh yeah you could mill the heads .020-.030 to bump comp

That should get you at least 450 to the rear, 500+ at the crank....
Thanks for the input.
I am assuming any ECM that came from an LS based vehicle reads 58x reluctor, correct?
Anybody have the LS2 front timing cover? I planned on swapping the cam. Thanks for the info on the L76 intake didn't know the difference between the ports on the heads. The intake coming with this engine is brand new from the factory never been torqued down. Not very familiar with these motors was told on LS series motors and this LY6 motor all parts are interchangeable but thought there were some specifics. I've got more to learn.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the input.
I am assuming any ECM that came from an LS based vehicle reads 58x reluctor, correct?
Anybody have the LS2 front timing cover? I planned on swapping the cam. Thanks for the info on the L76 intake didn't know the difference between the ports on the heads. The intake coming with this engine is brand new from the factory never been torqued down. Not very familiar with these motors was told on LS series motors and this LY6 motor all parts are interchangeable but thought there were some specifics. I've got more to learn.
The LS3 or L76 intake will fit the rec port L92 heads
You can buy them new or just buy one complete from ebay or craigslist, or here.

The LS2 timing cover, bolt, gear,chain , etc, can be bought at scroggins dickey, or pace, etc.....
All of these parts are easily accessible, just matter of who has the best deal... Most LS3 or L76 packages come with 39lb injectors.

What kind of Intake is it?
Old 05-08-2010, 07:56 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bozzhawg
The LS3 or L76 intake will fit the rec port L92 heads
You can buy them new or just buy one complete from ebay or craigslist, or here.

The LS2 timing cover, bolt, gear,chain , etc, can be bought at scroggins dickey, or pace, etc.....
All of these parts are easily accessible, just matter of who has the best deal... Most LS3 or L76 packages come with 39lb injectors.

What kind of Intake is it?
It is a brand new stock LY6 intake. Waht are the best after market injectors and fuel rails. When changing cam, intake on a carbed small block I would change jets and adjust the carb. Now with the EFI I have read about running injectors at a specific max duty cycle and different flow rates. Will I need different injectors to suffice for the additions?
Old 05-08-2010, 08:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It is a brand new stock LY6 intake. Waht are the best after market injectors and fuel rails. When changing cam, intake on a carbed small block I would change jets and adjust the carb. Now with the EFI I have read about running injectors at a specific max duty cycle and different flow rates. Will I need different injectors to suffice for the additions?
It depends on your intentions..... with that head and intake(car style intake, not sure with the truck) combo most use the 39lbs injects... I have heard of some guys using the LS7 injectors 42lbs.... Some company's that make are like Fast, Delphi, Bosch etc.....
Old 05-08-2010, 05:27 PM
Staging Lane

okay thanks. Now as far as cooling sys when you did a conversion did you just add fans to your raditor or what?

Quick Reply: LY6 Build ?'s