LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Monster trans with pics part 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 09:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Monster trans with pics part 2

Ok most of you saw the jaw dropping amount of metal and aluminum in the 4l60e trans pan so here is what broke and be prepared to let your jaw drop some more. Went and pick up the rebuilt trans today. I had monster do it again because it was the only option I have right now and I talked them into 5 pinion plants this time. I am still going to baby the hell out of it and then do a preformabuilt or something down the road in about a year. again it was behind a 383 LT1 with LE2 head and custom grind cam made for torque. No power numbers to speak of but should be 370rwhp with a maybe 400 to 425+ftlbs of torque. What year so far. I ended up in the hospital last week after tring to get the Tahoe back on the road because of this trans. Split my finger down the middle right through the nail to the bone lol. Take your time and getting frustrated only leads to broken parts... including human parts.
The old plant

Old 05-07-2010, 09:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

A good tranny builder told me never to use the planets with those round brass washers, you only want the later ones with the batwing washers that can't spin.

So basically looks like they put old outdated parts in it and it failed.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:30 PM
TECH Addict

That good to know I never herd that before. Thats why I took the parts and posted this stuff up here so people can see and let me know thier thoughts
Old 05-07-2010, 10:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well atleast you know you got a good strong motor. Are they covering it by some kind of warranty or you paying out of your pocket for the rebuild? Did they know what kind of power the car was making?
Old 05-08-2010, 03:47 AM
TECH Addict

Yea they rated it for up to 500 to 650 rwhp. As you can see the parts did not exactly match that. I paid 500 out of pocket for a compleat rebuild. But as I learned tonight they lied to me. I went to go and swap pans to my deap pan and they had said that they tested the trans with my converter and as I pulled they pan It was dry as a bone and the filter eliment waws also dry as a bone and nothing was laeaking. I also learned that they did not fill the converter as thay said they did. I went a head and but the damn thing in trusting them and as it turns out they did not fill the converter and the trans was not tested as they stated so now after I put the damn thing in and then took the pan off to swap over to my deap pan I found all this out and now I have to pull it again so I can fill the converter so I don't kill the pump when I fire it up. Unreal!!!! I know I should have checked it before putting it in but I was to trusting. And I get the butt f**king. Now I have to un bolt everything and pull the converter so I can fill the dam thing. I spun it by hand and I hear nothing in it. Also the Fliter is dry and when I pulled the pan it did not drip an ounce of fluid. Everything is dry. How manty times can one guy get f**ked? I am a cursed man or how do they stay in buisness? I don't understand it . If I have a lot of missspelling I am sorry but I deowned my sarows in about 6 Captin Morgins. I will deal with it saturday. Unfreakin belevable. The gut told me to my face that they tested it and I did not need to fill the converter because it still had the fluid in it from the test run today. Anyone else have this kind of luck? I am wishing I would have just gone with the preformabuilt from the start.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:51 AM
TECH Addict

OMG I will have to fix the gramer when I sobber up So sorry for the sluuuuuuurs.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:25 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Split your finger to the bone? OUCH! A few weeks ago I sliced open my thumb so much I saw the bone. I probably shoulda got stitches but I opted for the usual alcohol therapy. It’s healing nicely.

Good luck with the transmission & finger!
Old 05-08-2010, 10:24 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Split your finger to the bone? OUCH! A few weeks ago I sliced open my thumb so much I saw the bone. I probably shoulda got stitches but I opted for the usual alcohol therapy. It’s healing nicely.

Good luck with the transmission & finger!
yea the wife would not leave me alone about it so I went and they could not do stiches. Just cleaned it and wrapped it. I told my wife that was all they were going to do but nooooo. She said it will fall off if I didn't go lol. She was just messing around.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:10 PM
Rockstar

****, man, you've got a gypsy curse on ya.

That's some really nasty damage to you, your wallet, and your trans.
How much have you dumped into all those broken parts so far?
Old 05-08-2010, 01:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally The trans was 1400 + converter. I think 1700 or 1800. I just spent 400 because it was out of warrenty but they covered 75% of the cost. The other rebuild was covered under warrenty. I have dropped it I don't know how many times and that costs money in fluid. So about $400+ in fluid and filters. It's insain. I am still working on it right now tring to get it back out so I can fill the converter. Should have it back out in an hour or so. I am working at a very slow pace since I got absolutley **** Faced last night untill 5 am and I think I am still drunk.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:50 AM
On The Tree

You couldnt tell the weight difference of a converter without fluid? SMH
Old 05-10-2010, 01:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Note to self...never buy from Monster...check
thanks for sharing this with us...that's ****** bogus and they'll go out of business if this is common practice for them...what goes around comes around
Old 05-10-2010, 09:49 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

This is common in the industry. There are many transmission shops and a lot of them advertise "high performance builds" or units that'll handle lots of power at ridiculously low prices. The truth is that to build such a unit, it takes some expensive purpose built parts that'll make the total package several thousand dollars.

Any offer of a high performance built transmission for a low price is suspect.

Quick Reply: Monster trans with pics part 2