Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

runs nice at idle but looses responsiveness in gear!!!

Old 05-07-2010, 09:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default runs nice at idle but looses responsiveness in gear!!!

it is a 5.3l/4l60e swap with a s10 computer that i was told would need a relearn. i have hooked everything up except the vss wire, tcc wiring, and check engine light. the engine fires right up and runs very well . it was idling high but came down to about 600 rpm and is steady. if anyone thinks the wires i havent plugged up may be the cause let me know! Any help would be awesome. If you need more info please just ask.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not sure how the PCM can manage the 4L60E without a VSS input. I'd get that corrected quick, as well as the TCC as the trans will run hotter without a working TCC.

The initial high idle sounds like normal warmup behavior, the PCM holds the idle high and gradually lowers it as the coolant temp rises.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:00 PM
Staging Lane

i think its the vss output that i dont have hooked up. it's the green wire that goes to the speedo. the mil wire and the tcc wire. vss input is the plug that comes from the pcm to the side of the trans correct? that's plugged in.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Maybe scan and datalog it??
Old 05-08-2010, 01:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
Maybe scan and datalog it??
I'm new to fuel injection but i used a generic scanner and it came up with the following codes:
p0121 tps sensor ( tested it before i scanned the computer and didnt clear it)
p1258 low coolant level ( it seems like the engine isnt getting coolant at all, maybe stuck thermostat, i am going to take it out and see if i can get water flowing)
p0650 mil malfunction ( I'm guessing because i didnt have the mil hooked up)

I took it for a drive and it was running awesome and then began surging and loss throttle response again. when i give it wide open throttle it hesitates and then moves like a bat out of hell/heaven (whichever suits the reader) Any more idea or recommendations?
Old 05-08-2010, 05:04 PM
Staging Lane

cleared all codes, now it runs rough. i had the maf programmed out because i didnt have one at the time. i plugged one i from a running truck and still idles rough but better and actually responds. it was stumbling and idling very poorly before i added the maf. i checked all of the coils to make sure they were firing, checked the injectors so i dont believe there is a misfire. i havent pulled the plugs yet. the iac and tps are working fine from test. this is a throttle by cable setup if i havent mention it yet.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:21 PM
TECH Addict

First it was:
i have hooked everything up except the vss wire, tcc wiring, and check engine light.
Now it's:
Originally Posted by tryinggenIII
i had the maf programmed out because i didnt have one at the time.
Bad idea, you're basically running a Speed Density setup with no tuning...the worst of both worlds.

I'd start over from scratch on the PCM image, leave the MAF in place, and go from there.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by crainholio
First it was:

Now it's:

Bad idea, you're basically running a Speed Density setup with no tuning...the worst of both worlds.

I'd start over from scratch on the PCM image, leave the MAF in place, and go from there.
i'm going supercharged as soon as i get all of the bugs out and was told that it would run better without a maf. is that incorrect?
Old 05-09-2010, 07:31 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by tryinggenIII
i'm going supercharged as soon as i get all of the bugs out and was told that it would run better without a maf. is that incorrect?
Without a MAF you will need a very precise tune, and it will drive like crap until you spend the time and $$ to get it there.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:00 AM
Staging Lane

OK it runs fine now and is responsive. For some reason two rockers were loose and one injector was bad on separate cylinders. I'm just glad it idles and drives good. Thanks all for your help.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:04 AM
Staging Lane

One other question! Is a speed density tune more complicated than a maf tune. I have to get the truck tuned regardless for the new injectors and charger.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: runs nice at idle but looses responsiveness in gear!!!