Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Manual/Electric Door Lock Question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 10:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Manual/Electric Door Lock Question?

Hey guys I have a 99 baseline SS Camaro. It has manaul door locks but when you put the car in gear it automatically locks the doors. My question is this; Is it possible to put in electric switches for the door locks? It seems that the wiring is already there anyway, so just wondered if anybody else had done this.

Thanks
Old 05-09-2010, 08:12 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Somebody has add power locks and probably an alarm system to your car. Fourth generation F-bodies never came with automatic door locks like newer cars. It is not possible that your car automatically locks the doors when put in gear unless somebody has added some sort of aftermarket system.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to find the Relay that controls the lock actuators that have been added. It should be somewhere under your dash or either driver/passenger kick panel. Depending on the system that was added there should be either 2 relays or 1 SPDT relay that triggers the locks. If you can find the Alarm brain it will also have wires that trigger the Relay that powers the lock actuators. If its a DEI product (Viper,Python,Clifford,Avital etc.) there should be a little black box with DEI written on it and a model number like 451m if you find this you can tap into the thin gauge green & blue wires and install a switch that sends ground to these wires when pressed. Green = lock Blue = unlock.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whitebird you are correct. It does have an alarm, SO what Im thinking is I need to get in touch with the original owner and ask him if he has the keyless remote cause thats what I really want anyway. It has an alarm under the car hood but the wires have been cut and undone, but there is a light on the left knee area under the dash that is on when I turn the key on and such so Im sure its got some sort of an alarm/keyless remote.

Thanks for the input. Whats crazy is my 88 Iroc had the automatic locks that once you put the car in gear she locked you in, so I was thinking maybe this car did it to just didnt know. My 94 doesnt do that but Im not too familiar with the LS1 fbodies yet.