General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Clatter sound coming from rear HELP PLS!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 06:44 PM
ZSU
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clatter sound coming from rear HELP PLS!!

Sometimes there is a clatter sound coming from Rear of my car it is holding the car a little.. Usually when I drive at Rear Gear but sometimes it happens when I go forward.. ps. My handbrake is faulty I cancelled it..

WHAT MIGHT BE THE PROBLEM??

HELP PLS

1995 stock A4 TransAm*******
Old 05-09-2010, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it tend to happen when you are turning sharp and going slower? It could be the posi in the rear end making noise. My 98 TA is doing this so I'm going to get some posi additive from GM and put some new fluid in with it.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by lt1pwr1
Does it tend to happen when you are turning sharp and going slower? It could be the posi in the rear end making noise. My 98 TA is doing this so I'm going to get some posi additive from GM and put some new fluid in with it.
If it's what's described here, mine does it too, and it's been doing it for around 100K miles. I've done the posi additive and it didn't help at all. So I'm not entirely sure it's the posi. Although, I don't have any other ideas. It's most noticeable at parking lot speeds.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nytmare1
If it's what's described here, mine does it too, and it's been doing it for around 100K miles. I've done the posi additive and it didn't help at all. So I'm not entirely sure it's the posi. Although, I don't have any other ideas. It's most noticeable at parking lot speeds.
That's exactly what mine is doing- only at lower parking lot speeds. I too have added the additive and it hasn't helped so maybe it is just too worn out...? My rear end has 250K miles on it so maybe it is just time for a new one.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:31 PM
ZSU
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by lt1pwr1
That's exactly what mine is doing- only at lower parking lot speeds. I too have added the additive and it hasn't helped so maybe it is just too worn out...? My rear end has 250K miles on it so maybe it is just time for a new one.
Thank you all for ur interest!!

my AUBURN posi unit has been replaced.. only 10k on it.. The sound is usually noticable at REAR gear sometime Drive gear too (more less than driving to rear, like clicking sound).. By the way, My Car could drift well no sound coming..
And the sound is coming like REAR ROTORs holding my car.. the sound is like you hold and release a metal to hit a metal..
Still Posi unit?? I hope not! :/

Last edited by ZSU; 05-12-2010 at 05:04 PM.