General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

IAC noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default IAC noise

Sorry if this has been asked before or I'm a retard for not knowing what this noise is, it's coming from my IAC motor i think. Would this cause my car to die because my car sometimes will die instantly after it starts then the second time its starts just fine and I'm pretty sure the IAC is causing this. It has been making this noise for the last three days constantly never stops even when the ignition is off. Oh yeah and the car is a 98 z28 with a few bolt ons. Here is a video of the noise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ptmXNpNqjI
Old 05-10-2010, 03:41 PM
On The Tree

Ok guys maybe i didn't explain what's going on very well. I was tired when i posted that last night.
A few days ago i went to start my car and it died right after it started, I turned the key again and it started fine. I shut the car off so i could start it again and it started fine, so i thought no big deal.
Later that day samething happened so i went under the hood to inspect and that was what i discovered was that weird electrical noise.
It makes this noise even when the car is completely off. It doesn't make this noise when the car is running or if i unplug it.
So I'm just wondering if this is something i need to be worried about or not and why the hell it's doing it cause i tryed searching and wasn't able to find much.
Plus I'm tired of my car looking like a piece when it doesn't start the first time. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just had to replace my IAC after my H&C install. Are you able to keep the car running if you keep your foot on the gas?
Mine was kind of sluggish and finally just wouldn't work, so I ended up replacing it. Also apparently its not just a straight plug in according to the tuner, bc it was having weird readings until he adjusted it somehow...not exactly sure what he did, he just told me next time, make sure its set a certain way (all the way in or out???). Maybe someone else will know what he meant.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:51 PM
On The Tree

It runs totally fine, it just sometimes won't start the first time.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It makes this noise when the key is on, and the engine isn't running, correct?

I think your IAC motor is toast. It has a worm gear inside it, and it sounds like yours is stripped.

When you replace these, you can just push the plunger in by hand to make it easier to install. The computer continually sends the IAC motor "counts" to achieve desired idle.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:45 PM
On The Tree

It makes the noise even when the key is off. The only time it doesn't make the noise is when the car is running.