Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Going to order S60 this week, few Qs

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 01:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Going to order S60 this week, few Qs

So i plan on ordering a Strange S60 this week.
Going to order the rear with a spool, 35 spline axles, 3.73s etc. I would go for a 9" but its not in my budget, so im going with this rear.
The car has a th400 so im sure this will be enough rear end for a long time.

I have some questions:
will narrowing the rear end 2" per side be beneficial for the future incase i do want to run some big 15x10s? currently i have 15x8s with 4.5 backspace so im assuming the narrowed rear will tuck those wheels in some. or is 2" per side too much? i think ive read 3" is mini-tub territory?

Does anyone know if any modifications will be needed to be able to mount my UMI adjustable torque arm? Ive read that some clearencing on the floorboard may need to happen.. but thats the least of my worries.

also, does anyone know the correct length driveshaft i will need with the th400?

thanks
Old 05-10-2010, 11:39 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Question

Originally Posted by sidewayz28
So i plan on ordering a Strange S60 this week.
Going to order the rear with a spool, 35 spline axles, 3.73s etc. I would go for a 9" but its not in my budget, so im going with this rear.
I sell the Moser 9 inch with a spool and 35 spline axles, for $2300.00 shipped to your door. The rear is shipped out just two days after the order is placed. I'm curious, how much less is the Strange S60 shipped to your door? Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 05-10-2010, 12:02 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

you can narrow the rearend as much as you want to, usually up to 4 inches per side, but you have to run the correct offset wheel with any narrowing. a 15x10 wheel will fit in the stock wheel opening without a mini-tub, but the rearend length and the wheel offset have to work together. keep in mind any narrowing of more than 1/2 inch per side will not permit the use of the stock wheels.

your UMI arm should fit and will not have near the clearance problems that a standard 9 inch will. the S60 is a great bolt-in rearend and is the best bang for the buck by far, and quite a bit less than the Moser 9".

we have the correct driveshaft length for you. we offer the Strange chromemoly, and PST shafts.

pm or call us for a quote. we have the best deals on any rearend for your f-body, including Strange, Moser, and of course our most popular fabricated 9 inch package.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the help Bob (the PMs)
can anyone suggest/clarify the narrowing of the rear?
i want to run 17x11 Rear ZR1s for the street, i will need to run a spacer then correct? and prob hammer in the wheel wells?
i primarily want the 2" narrow so i can run my 15x8 4.5BS weld prostars i know right now they will stick out with the stock length.. and also down the road when i decide to run a 15x10 wheel.
this would be my first time ordering a rear so any help is appreciated.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:50 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

you wont be able to do both sets of those wheels with the same rearend narrowing(or narrowed at all with the ZR1 wheels). the 17x11 wheels will be real touchy where they are mounted(offset) to clear the inner wheel house. your best bet would be to build the rear for the zr1's and sell off the 15's you have and buy the correct 15's.
i have a good deal on the Billet Specialties 17" wheels if you may be interested in that and then sell off the zr1s... this may work with the same offset of the rearend narrowing so you can use both sets of wheels. just a few ideas...